HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,999 Posts
After a few flights to get used to it . I guarrenty you will be over controlling it on purpose just like the rest of us
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,090 Posts
Had a really nice maiden on mine today! After some adjustments, it flew wery well. On slow speed I can fly it with my hands in my pockets. It just glided niceely around, like a glider.
With more power, it was maneuverable and lively. Easy to land, just slow down the speed, and set it down in front of your feet. Looking forward to fly it more. Lot of fun for a little money!
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:53 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
My "Robotech VF-1 Valkyrie" Tomhe F-22 Build

I decided after building the Shumate F-15 that my piloting skills were probably not where I would like them to be, so on the advice of those much wiser than I (Jetset44, Vicentel, and Waltjg) I decided to build a simpler pusher jet more suited to a beginning flyer. I also wanted it to be super fun with room to add features and grow as I progressed...what better plane than the Tomhe F-22! The vids of this thing in the air are wild!
After doing the Starscream F-15, I felt like I wanted to stay on the path of SciFi/Anime/Cartoon aircraft. I decide to adapt the paint scheme from one of my favorite cartoon jets, the VF-1 Valkyrie from the Macross Saga/Robotech series. When I stumbled on the beige VF-1R Super Valkyrie, I saw another opportunity to use that bottle of Createx Beige airbrush paint that has been in my box since 1999 (that's probably an exaggeration). There are a lot of flat surfaces on this plane so I decided to give it some texture and some dimension with the paint which is why it isn't totally even. The decals came out great in my opinion. My method is using images which I alter in Photoshop, lay out on an 8x10 graphic,transfer to usb, take it to Kinkos, print on a full sheet 8.5x11 clear packing label on a color laser printer all for $1.55 per page printed.

Big thanks to Tomas for his generosity and use of the plans...I cant say enough about the ingenuity of the plans all the while being very simplistic...enjoyed every minute building this one. Also a quick shout to crxmanpat and a few others on the build thread who answered a lot of my questions...

The build:
2x Hextronic MG14 Digital metal gear servos
Turnigy dlux 30a ESC
Grayson Hobby Microjet v3 w/ APC 6x4 prop
6mm Depron
Epoxy and UHU Por
Paint: Createx Airbrush Acrylics applied with a Master airbrush and Iwata HP-SB airbrush

I hope you enjoy it! And hope that post wasn't too long...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,999 Posts
Very nice Levictus. Your flying skills better catch up to your building skills so you can keep these park jets so good looking. Animated cartoon series themes seem to come out nicely for you. And definately are more unusuall than the military grey most go with. I like em.
alpea 41 is online now Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Wow, that looks way cool!

Good luck with the maiden. And remember, you don't need full throttle all the time to fly it. If you get into trouble, throttle back and this plane will literally float to the ground.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:21 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Very nice Levictus. You my friend are an artist. Well done and good luck on the maiden.

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:40 AM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
Awesome looking bird!
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:40 PM
Crash Test Pilot
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jul 2012
380 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys! I did maiden this bird yesterday! Sorry, no video cause I brought my two year old twin boys to the park so half my attention was on them sitting in their wagon. My friend was supposed to come with his high tech video camera, he came, but forgot the camera...will try next weekend!

I love how this thing flys....it really does float along if you want it to. The area I was in was a bit smaller than I would want as my normal track and field complex which is normally deserted was full of people over the weekend. As a result, most of the flying was done at 1/2 throttle with some bursts to 3/4, but not even close to full. Still, I had a lot of fun. When I first launched it, I wasn't prepared for how sensitive the controls were...I pulled back and it almost flipped over back towards me! After I settled in it was easy and a joy to fly (but may still dial some expo in). Can't say enough how much I enjoyed this build and now flying this plane...
Levictus is offline Find More Posts by Levictus
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
92 Posts
has anyone recently added rudders to this bird??
i want to add them sooo bad but i dont know if its going to be worth the 1oz added...
-kevin-
articulatekevin is offline Find More Posts by articulatekevin
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:05 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Kevin,

Yes, rudders have been added to this one, and it is discussed several times thoughout this thread. So yes, it is worth it to do.

Pat
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Just about finished with my RC F22 Raptor.

Any suggestion about best place to mount servos?
I thought along the side of the fuselage but that means my servo rotation won't be linear which is a mechanical issue.

Anybody flown this plane with quite heavy components?
I am using a 100g 2700kv out runner(595 watt), 6x4 APC, 100g 65A SBEC and turnigy 2200mah 3S at 230g.

Will it fall out of the air?

Thanks
NicholasHerbst is offline Find More Posts by NicholasHerbst
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:13 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,405 Posts
1" ahead of the wing spar on its side like this.

Ken

dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,090 Posts
Had a dream weekend. My F-22 is a very good an fun flyer. Not so many of these days left, before the winter. I must find me another project, that is easy to build, and fly as well as the F-22.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:22 PM
New in the game
Nederland, ZH, Capelle aan den IJssel
Joined Feb 2011
126 Posts
Last week i made and flown a 75% scale indoor version of this plane.

It fly's nice..!!!

F-22 Raptor Depron Profile Indoor Plane (3 min 53 sec)
Remko is offline Find More Posts by Remko
Last edited by Remko; Oct 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:19 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Nice flying! You got really low to the floor there on some of those passes.

I have flown my 66% indoors as well, once in a gymnasium that was that small. But flying around in slow circles got boring pretty quick. I have also flown inside the Arizona Cardinals football stadium (enclosed dome), and we were able to fly this plane like normal doing all the fancy tricks and stunts.

What did you use for a power system?

Pat