SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2002, 07:50 PM
Los Altos, CA
Joined Sep 2001
607 Posts
EAM F-18 Balancing and Control Throws

I just balanced my EAM F-18 and set the control throws and readied it up for the first flight. Flew it this morning for the first time. Flies great!

However...two things I noticed. First, I am running on 10xCP1700's, in a flat configuration. I noticed that with the pack all the way back...as far as it can go. I still balance a tad nose heavy. Am I going to have to change to a stacked configuration? What are most people's experience with this?

I had the control throws dialed in rather conservatively on the first flight, and it took alot to get it to respond to the controls...which was fine. So, then for the next flight, I dialed things up CONSIDERABLY. I still noticed that doing a roll was really slow. My max throws on the tailerons are probably 1.5 inches each way...it's rolls are still quite lathargic. What should my throws be for really responsive flight? Is the fact that I am a tad nose heavy going to affect this?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

- Ted
TedLarson is offline Find More Posts by TedLarson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2002, 03:59 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
It should repsond quicker with a optimum CG - especially in pitch.
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jun 24, 2002, 03:08 PM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Yeah, it will be slow to respond if its nose heavy. Usally there is enough room in the batt box to adjust CG, if not, you may have to configure the pack in another way unless you can move anoter component further aft,,,, I have modular cell packs, I have base packs of 8 cells that look like this ==== and then I have ad on packs of 2 so I can make 8, 10, and 12 cell packs. This is nice because say in a 10 cell pack, I can use the extra 2 cells to fine tune the CG, I put them on top of the 8 cell main pack and tape them to it when I have them where I want them for the CG, the only real issue with the modular packs is keeping them cycled togeter to try and make all the cells play nice togeter .
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ