HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2002, 01:25 PM
NOW EXCEPTING
Palmdale, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
71 Posts
Which Plane Should I Choose?!?

I'M READY FOR SOMETHING NEW. I KNOW THAT SLOPE IS NOT THE WAY I WANT TO GO RIGHT NOW BUT I'M NOT SURE WHAT I WANT TO TRY NEXT. AN HLG SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD START BUT IT SEEMS EVERYONE I SEE IS A LITTLE DELICATE OR FRAGILE. I DONT TO SPEND MORE TIME REPAIRING THAN FLYING. MAYBE AN RES AND FULL HOUSE SHIP WOULD BE GOOD. BUT I DONT WANT TO SPEND A FORTUNE. I DO THIS FOR FUN NOT AS A BUSINESS SO I DONT WANT TO SINK MY RETIREMENT INTO IT. IM SURE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN.

THANK YOU ALL FOR ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN GIVE ME!!!!
SESH1975 is offline Find More Posts by SESH1975
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2002, 01:32 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Maybe, if you turn the capslock key off (very annoying).

Do you have any launching equipment available? Is there a sailplane group near you?
SoarNeck is offline Find More Posts by SoarNeck
Old Jan 21, 2002, 02:04 PM
NOW EXCEPTING
Palmdale, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
71 Posts
Sorry about the capslock!! I have a high start and plenty of field equipment. As far as the local clubs go I dont know of any at this time.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 02:15 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
How about a field large enough to use a hi-start? Have you considered electric sailplanes?

Dave
Dave Seay is offline Find More Posts by Dave Seay
Old Jan 21, 2002, 02:46 PM
NOW EXCEPTING
Palmdale, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
71 Posts
I do have a field large enough for a high start. We happen to have open grass land near my home, it makes for a nice flying area. We share it with quite a few other r/c pilots, most being gas flyers. I tried the Cermark Pheonix but both my neoghbor and I had very bad luck with the plane. The plane is built very well but is very underpowered. I flew it three times, the first two flights were actualy very good. The third and final flight was very short. I have rebuilt the plane already but I think I will wait till I find a better motor/prop combo before I try to fly it again. I have an interest in electric but have been taken down the wrong road so far. Cermark markets there plane as a model for beginners but it is far from it. Its even difficult to fly by someone like myself who has been in the hobby for sometime now.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 03:07 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
Ok, if your interest in sailplanes and want to go down the road cautiously (not a bad idea), get a Highlander from MAD. It is a 2M plane built mostly of EEP foam making it essentially indistructable. It can be built as a 2 channel Rudder/Elev or an aileron trainer. Look at...

http://www.madaircraft.com/highlander.html

This plane will get you safely through everything you need to learn to tackle your next, more 'refined' powered or unpowered sailplane.

Dave
Old Jan 21, 2002, 03:38 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
While the highlander isn't a bad BASIC ship, for someone who's been in the hobby for a bit, I think that you'd outgrow it pretty quickly. Think about the DAW series of aircraft; the TG-3 and 1-26 being most appropriate in this case. I bought I TG-3 a while back to use as a club trainer, and it's served its purpose pretty well. I still slope it occassionally, and I've thermalled it out a bunch of times off of a Rahm winch (brute power). The 1-26 (I've had a chance to fly four or five of them) is more fun than the TG-3 for me, simply because its SD7037 airfoil is more appropriate and versatile than the TG-3's Clark-Y.

I put a brief write-up on: http://www.geocities.com/sunbirdz/TG3Page.html
Old Jan 21, 2002, 03:41 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
BTW - you shouldn't have any problems finding a soaring club in SoCal. Heck, I love coming down from Canada to fly with the guys down at Torrey Pines (going back for IHLGF2002 if all goes well!) Whereabouts are you?
Old Jan 21, 2002, 05:11 PM
NOW EXCEPTING
Palmdale, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
71 Posts
Hey guys thank you both for you replys. Dave as far as the highlander goes. My neighbor and flying buddy has two of them one with ailerons the other without. We havent flow the highlander with ailerons yet but I know my neighbor builds quality aircraft so im sure it will be a blast. But I really am looking for something to move me up to the next plateau. Soarneck both of your ideas are great thank you the pics you sent were great. Were can I get more info on the TG-3 and the 1-26. If you have a link that would be very useful. As long as these planes are good on the flat lands. Thats what I have available to me.

p.s. I live in the desert about 1 hour outside of los angeles
Last edited by SESH1975; Jan 21, 2002 at 05:14 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2002, 05:55 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SESH1975
I tried the Cermark Pheonix but both my neoghbor and I had very bad luck with the plane. The plane is built very well but is very underpowered.
I have a Cermark EZ-72, similar to the Phoenix but not a T-tail. I REALLY improved the power by installing one of Dymond's Max 05 and 3:1 inline combos. Add an Aeronaut CF folding prop in 12x7 (23 amps) or 13.5x7 (28 amps), run it all on 8xSub-C of your choice and really fly!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 21, 2002, 05:56 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
The Majestic is a good performer at a reasonable price. It's RES and works well in light to average conditions.

http://members.aol.com/laserartco/page9.html

Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Jan 21, 2002, 05:59 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
You can find the TG-3 and the 1-26 at Dave's Aircraft Works...
http://www.davesaircraftworks.com/

Dave
Old Jan 21, 2002, 06:09 PM
NOW EXCEPTING
Palmdale, CA.
Joined Jan 2002
71 Posts
Hey everyone thank you again for all you replys. Groundloop thanks for that tid bit ill try that in my pheonix before I fly it again. What sub-c cells did you run with that? Are r/c car packs the way to go? Dave thank you for the link thats a big help!!!!!
By the way dave have you tried either of the daw planes?
Old Jan 21, 2002, 06:36 PM
RCGroups Author
Calgary, Alberta
Joined Nov 2001
1,491 Posts
Desert outside of LA? Might that be the Palmdale/Lancaster area? If so, you don't know how lucky you are. Parker Mountain, that mecca of dynamic soaring enthousiasts of all ages, is right in that area. Check out: http://www.gliderking.com/ for Parker mountain meets. I've been down there twice, arguably for the SAE Aerodesign West (heavy lift) competition put on by the AV Tailwinds in Palmdale, but I enjoyed the soaring bit much more!
Old Jan 21, 2002, 06:46 PM
Faded away
Joined Nov 2001
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SESH1975
By the way dave have you tried either of the daw planes?
I built the 1-26 HLG couple of years ago when I was getting started. I should have built the larger one but didn't. It is a VERY TOUGH bird. I've still got it and use it to let new people try out RC. You can't go wrong with either choice over there (TG-3 or 1-26 2M)

Dave