SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2013, 06:07 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
New things on the horrizon??? :)

Guys just a little early "LEAK" of information and cool new things to come....soon a joint effort is to happen with http://demo010082.hgsitebuilder.com/ ...&... http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/ ...to have some fantastic new planes available with pre installed V4.1 Sound systems. These planes are being designed specifically for electric operation and designed for a Mr. RC Sound V4.01 sound system installation.

Probably look to see theses new additions some time after the first of the year.

I'll be doing the first, a JU88 G6. .................................................. ..........I've been allowed to "Leak" at least this much
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Nov 02, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Guys just a little Early "LEAK" of information and cool new things to come....soon A joint effort is to happen with http://demo010082.hgsitebuilder.com/ & http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/ to have some fantastic new planes available with pre installed V4.1 Sound systems.

Probably look to see theses new additions after the first of the year.

I'll be doing the first JU88 G6. .................................................. ..........I've been allowed to "Leak" at least this much
Quick! Someone stick their finger in the leak!!!
MrRCFlying is online now Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 02, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Shhhhhhhhhhh.... Wasn't me. Must have been my an imposter or evil twin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Nov 02, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
You can probably look to expect and look to see planes like a... BF-110, JU-88 G6, ME-109, Spitfire, Hawker Hurricane, and possibly a redesigned LA-7 and FW-190? ...some of these already exist for nitro platforms, but Richard has said he is looking into redesigning a few of them specifically for electric use? and for Andrews V4.01 sound system as a drop in or possibly? preinstalled? or at least prefabricated for the builder to just readily just mount it without any need for extra modifications

That's how much I know so far and what's been discussed with me.

http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:28 AM
philsib
Joined Jan 2007
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
LEDs, yes. There are 2 rows of 3 pins, NOT 3 rows of 2 pins. Both are identical in the way they work. It looks kind of like what I am drawing below.

(sound chip) [==] : : : [@] (volume knob)

The pins closest to the sound chip are + if I recall correctly, the pins closest to the volume knob is -. This is synced with the gun sounds on Servo 2. The middle pin is a +, but steady voltage for a steady LED, not synced.

Hope this helps.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew-that's a big help--Sabre also confirmed your info--I'll post pics asap
Phil
philsib is offline Find More Posts by philsib
Old Nov 03, 2013, 10:13 AM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,285 Posts
philsib - You need two servo extension leads long enough to reach from the center of the fuselage out to the guns. You need to cut a shallow channel under the wing behind the guns to bury the wires. Cover with black electrical tape which may need some additional silicone rubber smeared to secure in place. Now one end gets plugged into the LED connections on the board. Cut the connector off of the other end. Then strip back the insulation on the two outer wires and solder to the three LED's you've already positioned in the guns. You can then cut the middle wire as it's not used. Hope that helps.
52Sabre is online now Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:22 PM
philsib
Joined Jan 2007
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
philsib - You need two servo extension leads long enough to reach from the center of the fuselage out to the guns. You need to cut a shallow channel under the wing behind the guns to bury the wires. Cover with black electrical tape which may need some additional silicone rubber smeared to secure in place. Now one end gets plugged into the LED connections on the board. Cut the connector off of the other end. Then strip back the insulation on the two outer wires and solder to the three LED's you've already positioned in the guns. You can then cut the middle wire as it's not used. Hope that helps.
Yes -that helps a lot-will install shortly
Thanks
Phil
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:24 PM
philsib
Joined Jan 2007
286 Posts
This is an adapter I made up so I don't have to solder a power lead for the MrRC board in each plane-I just plug it between the battery and ESC
Phil
Old Nov 06, 2013, 09:43 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
816 Posts
Brandon,

Wow, that JU88 will be a nifty aircraft. Will you have dual sound boards and the ability to start each engine separately?

I have been straying to the Dark Side.... playing around with a OS LA 0.65 two-stroke-powered ME-109. Lots of fun!

Regards,

jack
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Nov 07, 2013, 05:25 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Brandon,

Wow, that JU88 will be a nifty aircraft. Will you have dual sound boards and the ability to start each engine separately?

I have been straying to the Dark Side.... playing around with a OS LA 0.65 two-stroke-powered ME-109. Lots of fun!

Regards,

jack
I'm not really sure about all of it yet? It's still all preliminary and still in the planning stages? Probably will just be one V4.01 sound unit with multi engine sound chip.

I too have been straying to the dark side and working again with my nitro birds
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
I'm not really sure about all of it yet? It's still all preliminary and still in the planning stages? Probably will just be one V4.01 sound unit with multi engine sound chip.

I too have been straying to the dark side and working again with my nitro birds
Brandon,
Not sure if you saw the new thread or not. Made it a couple days ago. Waiting for input.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2029653
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 07, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Brandon,
Not sure if you saw the new thread or not. Made it a couple days ago. Waiting for input.

Thanks, no I hadn't seen it yet....will go check it out
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Guys Andrew has started a new thread on this collaboration between him and Warbirds and we would like everyone's ideas, what kind of planes you would like to see and want?, etc.... and your input there if possible?

Definitely looking for what's going to be popular and wanted by most, plus taking in great ideas and valued input from the RC Community....guys like you & I

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Sound system vs. toy sound.

Okay, as most of you know I don't like to compare sound systems to each other. I would rather the customer do research on the subject, and make an informed decision on which system would work best for their needs. I don't like to be brought into the "mine is better than yours" argument.

When I owned a full size KitFox airplane, I was active on one of the boards for that. There was a long running thread on engine oils. It was a constant argument, that even got to the point where one pilot claimed he would divorce his wife, before trying any other oil brand. LOL

Anyway, I am going to make this exception once, as I do not consider this unit to be a true sound system, but a toy, attempting to be something it is not. I have been asked about it a few times now, so I thought it might be good to address it.

You may know what I am referring to by now. It is an "aircraft engine sound module system" that is carried by all our favorite shop to buy parts from. HK

I was able to test one out a while back, thanks to a customer that had purchased one, but was not happy at all with the system. This was an earlier model, that was not in the neat black case that they are now, so some things may have changed. Here are a few of my findings.

The version I had, had a built in class A amplifier. This was similar to the amplifier that I used in the Version 1 of the MrRCSound system. I moved away from this style very quickly because the class A generates a LOT of heat, and requires a huge heat sink to dissipate all the heat. I have read cases of the amplifier on this catching fire.

The speaker used with this system was small and light, but had a very small magnet. I could find no information on the SPL output or wattage rating. Based on what I was seeing though, with the small magnet, I would not expect it to put out much at all. In fact, it very much looked like a standard computer speaker, that comes in a PC, that just makes the beeping on startup etc.

Testing the sound was interesting. No information could be found about what engine this was supposed to be. The startup sound was surprisingly good, and fairly detailed. The engine sound itself, in my opinion, not good. It did not sound like any kind of engine, but rather an electronically generated buzz, that changed in pitch. I could find no shut down sound, it just simply stopped.

The advertised maximum volume output is 60db SPL MAX. As a comparison, the MrRCSound base single speaker system puts out between 95 and 97db SPL. For those of you unfamiliar with how sound works, the perceived volume of something doubles every 10db. So that means 70db is twice as loud as 60db. 80db is twice as loud as 70db, and 4 times louder than 60db. 90db is 8x louder than 60db, and 100db is 16x louder than 60db. So at 95db the MrRCSound Base single speaker system is in the neighborhood of 12X LOUDER.

That is the main reason that I consider this unit a toy. There have been reports that this sound unit cannot be heard at more than 30-40ft. away in the air.

In conclusion, no matter what sound system you decide to go with, stay away from this one. Yes, the price is low, but the volume output is also very low, to the point it cannot be considered much more than a novelty.

Andrew
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 19, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,893 Posts
Exciting Day at the Field

Flew my 1/4 Hangar 9 Cub on Saturday at a giant scale event. There were many full scale Cub pilots there. They were very pleased to "hear" and see such a scale presentation of the Cub.

After my first flight, taxi back to the pits, and everyone gathered around to hear the engine. I then went into the shut down sequence and the prop stopped as the "engine" gave its last cough. Everyone went "aawwwwh" at the same time. It was wonderful. Then, the crowd asked to see it again. Three times!!!

So now my LHS has commissioned me to build and install the sound system in the Cub for their customers. We will be starting our first one this weekend, so Andrew will be getting an order from Hobby Hanger.

This is my first "paying" job in the hobby. Thanks Andrew!
tclaridge is online now Find More Posts by tclaridge