HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2014, 08:55 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Aug 2010
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
I hope it isn't going on your Stinson.
BAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!!! Tom, you're hilarious!
Cub Flyer Fresno is offline Find More Posts by Cub Flyer Fresno
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:14 AM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
Maiden went well. My overhauled DLE 30 is running great... But making zilch power. On a 19 lb (!) model this makes for.. Ahem.. Interesting scale take offs (as in, a full scale Beaver, fully loaded, taking off out of Leadville, CO).

We didn't get video. Wasn't much to see... I was keeping some altitude in case something went wrong. I hope I can figure out this engine. It was running OK before the new cylinder, piston, and Bowman ring. Now it's making now power but running awesome otherwise. I am going to put a few gallons through it and see what happens.

I will say Thank God for flaps and the learning I have done on rudder coordination. Flying around low and slow without a few degrees of flap to add lift and without coordinated rudder would be a recipe for disaster.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
So I am ditching the ol DLE. I don't know what I did wrong, but after a dead stick at low altitude, at the end of the field I am done flying this engine. I may scratch out a stik to put it on at some point... I want to figure it out... But the Beaver is way too nice to chance. I am trying a new brand... Cheaper than DLE and with stateside support. The new engine is an AGM 30. I will report on my findings. I was a Good chunk cheaper than the DLE. Looks like it would make a good engine for the Stinson and other similar models . Like I said, I will report back.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 01:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
I am off to work... Will get back to the Stinson next week .
Old Feb 22, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,097 Posts
Cheaper? Did someone say... "Cheaper"??? Hey, Cheap is my middle name! I like cheaper!

I'll be impatiently waiting for your findings.

Have fun making money!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
While I am sitting at breakfast in Kalispell, I figure it is a good time to share my early impressions of the VVRC 40cc. I installed one in a 3DHS 74 Edge... Figured the extra power would be nice and I didn't add any weight to the AUW of the previous setup.

This engine is a BEAR to start the first time. I spent four hours flipping the prop. Hurt my shoulder and arm... Lol. I am stubborn and didn't want to by an upgraded starter just for one engine. I finally wired up a 6S lipo to my old starter and that turns the VVRC with no problem. We will see how long the starter lasts! Once I got it turning it ran awesome. Very good throttling and tons of power. It will flip start once warm, but after sitting for an hour or so at the field I had to hit it with the starter again. Other than the starting issues I am very impressed. If cash was unlimited I would put one in all my 30cc class airplanes!
Old Mar 02, 2014, 07:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
Got some work done.

Gear is installed...nothing super exotic...just put a plate in between gear legs...and against the advice of the FAQ I ALSO reinforced the gear plates a bit. I'm not worried about too much strength...hopefully I won't be tearing out the gear too often.

David inspired me to throw it all together and see what it looks like...coming along nicely!

Old Mar 02, 2014, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,097 Posts
Sweet! Okay, now here's where you pass me up.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 04:26 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
Nah... I got a ways to go before catching you.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 07:48 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Since I seldom read the instructions, I definately would beef up the landing gear and mount as much as possible.

I've dealt with landing gear designed to be weak, to prevent major damage. What A joke. Repairs were constant, until substantial reinforcements were made.

You guys are on the right path, in my opinion.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
Well...on the subject of reading instructions...I pretty much threw them out and went my own way for the past few days. Got to the point of mounting the engine, and with the suggestion from the instructions (well, OK, I didn't throw them out), I started mocking up the throttle servo and fuel tank. Then I realized I needed to figure out how to mount batteries, ignition, and telemetry module before doing any of that since all of those things would be on the firewall. THEN I realized my installation would probably get in the way of the cowl ring, so once I had the engine installed, batteries mounted, and ignition mounted (and wiring routed) I pulled out the cowl, did a rough prep, and figured out a way to get the cowl ring to work with all the stuff mounted on the firewall. I ended up with some 3/4 dowel stand-offs and I inset the cowl ring into the cowl to set the distance right. I didn't glue the ring in yet, I'll wait for sheeting, but it all seems to look pretty good. Still have to mount telemetry module, but it's tiny and the only issue is routing it's antenna. Switches will be mounted on the right side of the cockpit below the instrument panel. Wires will be routed under the cabin decking and back throw the gear bay to the servo location where I will mount the RX. Balance lead extensions and switches are from taildraggerrc.com. I'll be able to balance charge all 3 LiFe packs without removing them from the plane. Using a similar setup on my H9 Beaver. It's been flawless. I am planning to build an access hatch into the bottom of the fuselage for landing gear maintenance and wiring access.

Anyway, a lot of work to mock things up before tearing it all apart for covering and paint, but it had to be done and I'm SO glad I've got it all figured out. At this point, I can move batteries (one, two, or all) anywhere along the bottom of the fuse to assist with balance. That is another reason for the hatch I'll build.

Anyway, pics (there's not much to see):

Engine Mounted:

Switch Location:

Cowl Ring:

Shots of Mock Up So Far:

Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:56 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,097 Posts
Looking good Jimmy. Excellent, now you're getting ahead of me and I can glean some of your ideas. Love it!
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:00 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,306 Posts
Nice work !

I admire you skills with wiring.

What do your mufflers look like, and is there room for them, without touching the dowels ?
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Last edited by TomCrump; Mar 07, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
Mufflers fit well. I did have to move the ignition to where it is now from a position on the firewall... After installing the muffler I felt the ignition was too close so I moved it above the engine.

I just need to trim the muffler stacks so they fit in the cowl. I am going to wait for that until final assembly. The mufflers stacks block the cowl, so once I made sure they fit with the dowels and other stuff I pulled them to get a rough fit on the cowl ring.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub Flyer Fresno View Post
Looking good Jimmy. Excellent, now you're getting ahead of me and I can glean some of your ideas. Love it!
I am glad I can help any way possible. You all have been great help to me.