HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
Big Bang
United States, TN
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Help!
Need help identifying scale helicopter

I am completely new to scale helicopters, came across this 20 something year old Bell Jet Ranger and was hoping to see if anyone can tell me which model it is or any specific information so I can see about restoring it to working order. Thanks for any help.
flyingskyhigh is offline Find More Posts by flyingskyhigh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:05 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,423 Posts
I can't help too much with the id but it would help others if you have the canopy removed and have some shots of the mechanics and any other spare parts that might have come with it. Good luck.

Don
Keyrigger is online now Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:49 PM
Big Bang
United States, TN
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Ok thanks, well here is a picture of the mechanics. Hopefully is the right angle, if not I can take another one.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:49 PM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
349 Posts
Must be a Heim Star Ranger. I still have a set of mechanics that are getting converted to electric in a Heim Bell 222

Mike
mligosh is online now Find More Posts by mligosh
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:50 PM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
349 Posts
Let me know if you need any info. I have all of the original plans and instructions.

Mike
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:06 AM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Yep.... that is an original Heim Star Ranger by the looks of it....
Most likely a little bit older than 20 years, closer to 30 probably.

The Vario SkyFox series has evolved from this very mechanics, and most likely every part of that old Heim, you can find a compatible Vario replacement for or a part that will fit with minimal additional parts (some shaft diameters were changed, some ways of fastening gears to shafts, but nothing shocking, 90% of the SkyFox mechanical parts are still a direct fit).

I remember this helicopter to be a very friendly flyer (for a helicopter), and the use of Vario parts really improved its durability and reliability.

But I would recommend to get rid of the mechanical mixing, that was not the best, even for its time...

Good luck with it
Brutus1967 is online now Find More Posts by Brutus1967
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:11 AM
Big Bang
United States, TN
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
yes I would definately like to get as much info as possible, if you could send me what you have, I would definately appreciate it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:33 AM
Big Bang
United States, TN
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Brutus1967;

Is there a good website to get the mechanical mixing parts? Also, I saw some videos of the electric converted Heim Star Ranger and I was wondering, would you suggest me to go ahead and covert to electric? I have never worked with nitro helis and don't know which way to go with this; i'd rather make the right choice the first time Thanks,

And also, can you tell me what class size it is? Dimensions are 56"L, 14"H blades are 25.5"L
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:38 AM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
349 Posts
They were .60 size. It is already set up for mechanical mixing as shown in your photos. The servo that is mounted sideways is on a pivot for pitch, instead of electronic where all three servos move in tandem. My drawings show both arrangments. Give me a couple of days to make copies or scans and you are welcome to whatever info I have.

Mike
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:49 AM
Big Bang
United States, TN
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
mligosh:

Would you recommend converting it to Electric? I have never used nitro and I am already looking at having to buy another motor. I also have to replace some buckles as they have become brittle and have broken by just a little pressure. Do you have any websites to suggest for those kind of parts? Thanks,
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:56 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingskyhigh View Post
Brutus1967;

Is there a good website to get the mechanical mixing parts? Also, I saw some videos of the electric converted Heim Star Ranger and I was wondering, would you suggest me to go ahead and covert to electric? I have never worked with nitro helis and don't know which way to go with this; i'd rather make the right choice the first time Thanks,

And also, can you tell me what class size it is? Dimensions are 56"L, 14"H blades are 25.5"L
The website of Vario is www.vario-helicopter.de
They have an importer in the US, most likely you can find his data also on the (german) website.

I would not convert it to Electric, first of all because it never was meant for it, second because you are working on a helicopter that is, as is, allready unfamiliar for you.

Glow engines are not that hard, but you need to get to know them. It is not black magic, you know? You can always ask somebody that is knowledgeable, to help you out....

Brgds, Bert
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:18 PM
Big Bang
United States, TN
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Brutus1967:

Thanks for the website and I appreciate you insight on keeping it nitro, I must say after doing some research today it looks to be the best way to keep it, (particularly this heli). Thanks
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:44 PM
Complete RC Idiot Savant
The Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,628 Posts
If you still consider going electric, I suggest you get yourself a Vario "Hanging mechanics", that should more or less be a drop-in fit, but is a lot easier to electrify, because the Heim original uses the engines heatsink as forward mounting point, where the "Hanging mechanics" has these points integrated in its side panels (so it is easier to eliminate the engine and replace it with an E-motor).

Brgds, Bert
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:31 PM
Big Bang
United States, TN
Joined Jan 2013
95 Posts
Gives me options, Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:49 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,761 Posts
The side frames 50/10 and 51/10 should accept all the bits in your set up and will replace the engine as a stressed member allowing for an easy conversion.
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey