HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:39 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
250 Posts
Discussion
Hobbyking shipping weight

Has anyone ever weighed the packages they get from HK?
I weighed my last two and am a bit disappointed. Done on an accurate digital scale, package untouched - all the tape, paper for customs etc. still on there.

Both were invoiced for 2kg shipping
1861 g
1541 g

The second one is pretty bad - I could have put a lot more stuff in there for the shipping paid.
dklein is online now Find More Posts by dklein
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:26 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,843 Posts
HK during check out gives the additional weight that can be added for that shipping option.

Are you saying you didn't see that option or that the option said you were at the max?

Actual weights always seem to be less than the "assigned" weight.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:43 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
I think the assigned weight is a bit speculative as it would need to include an overhead for the box it all comes in. No formula will ever give you a precise finished weight. They err on the side of being lighter and not incurring extra shipping beyond what you've paid for.

It's in their interests to get it as close as possible because if the box can take extra weight without increasing shipping costs, they have a chance to sell you something more. I'm not sure there is much that can be done about that one. Just one of the quirks of the system. If you don't like it, you can always go and pay twice as much elsewhere...

cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
250 Posts
My 'calculated' weights were within 5g of 2kg (I always fill the shipping weight with small useful things). I get that they want to leave a little room for packaging but in the second case, they calculated one third more than the actual, which is too much.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
I think the assigned weight is a bit speculative as it would need to include an overhead for the box it all comes in. No formula will ever give you a precise finished weight. They err on the side of being lighter and not incurring extra shipping beyond what you've paid for.

It's in their interests to get it as close as possible because if the box can take extra weight without increasing shipping costs, they have a chance to sell you something more. I'm not sure there is much that can be done about that one. Just one of the quirks of the system. If you don't like it, you can always go and pay twice as much elsewhere...

HK manipulates shipping weights and prices to increase their profits just like everything else they do.
Why is it that every time someone posts anything other than gleaming praise for HK they are bashed or told to go shop somewhere else? HK doesn't say shop somewhere else why do you. They sure don't mind taking our money even if we complain. If HK lost every customer that had a complaint about them they would have gone out of out of business long ago. The OP was simply questioning shipping weights.
Was that last sentence really necessary.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
HK manipulates shipping weights and prices to increase their profits just like everything else they do.
Why is it that every time someone posts anything other than gleaming praise for HK they are bashed or told to go shop somewhere else? HK doesn't say shop somewhere else why do you. They sure don't mind taking our money even if we complain. If HK lost every customer that had a complaint about them they would have gone out of out of business long ago. The OP was simply questioning shipping weights.
Was any of this response really necessary? There is a discussion going on and you chime in with your comments. Why cant he do the same? Its simple, if you do not like it, shop elsewhere and spend more money. Still not very cool, but I still cant find a place that can beat the prices at hobbyking.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:22 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
If HK lost every customer that had a complaint about them they would have gone out of out of business long ago.
That's a BIG "if". Problem is the biggest complainers/haters are the ones that seem to go back...and I quote ... "I will continue to shop at HK".

I guess scratch that BIG "if". Won't happen if you do lots of talking but "continue to shop". ohhhhhhhh....the irony.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudflying View Post
Was any of this response really necessary? There is a discussion going on and you chime in with your comments. Why cant he do the same? Its simple, if you do not like it, shop elsewhere and spend more money. Still not very cool, but I still cant find a place that can beat the prices at hobbyking.

I just posted my opinion about the OP's shipping question and a comment about what I consider a rude reply. I sure wouldn't tell him if he doesn't like it go shop somewhere else. He can decide where he wants to spend his money. Like I said if everyone that had a complaint about HK went somewhere else they would be out of business.
Hmmm, I thought you said you put me on your ignore list.
Last edited by valanti256; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
That's a BIG "if". Problem is the biggest complainers/haters are the ones that seem to go back...and I quote ... "I will continue to shop at HK".

I guess scratch that BIG "if". Won't happen if you do lots of talking but "continue to shop". ohhhhhhhh....the irony.
So you're saying anyone that complains about HK is a hater and should shop somewhere else.
Like I said before I don't hate HK. I rely on Paypal to provide buyer protection and CS. Thanks to Paypal I am a happy HK customer.
Thanks HK, for accepting Payal.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:08 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Oct 2011
250 Posts
Thanks valanti256, I also found it unnecessary. Few people would behave the same way if they were face to face but hey, it's the internet so you just ignore the nonsense. I'm a big boy, I know what my choices are. I was simply wondering if others have found this. I've done 20 orders before I threw one on a scale. I was curious, since shipping is often a significant add to the cost. I just got another 2 kg package today that weighed in at 1.546 kg. I definitely would have added items to the order if the weight had been available. HK isn't making much money on this. They probably paid the 2kg rate anyways. This one was sent via Hong Kong Post and had a sticker on it for 225 HK$ which is $29 US. I paid $30.53 in shipping.

So the way I see it, they're losing potential business because I would have stuffed a few more bits of profit into that package if I could have.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:31 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
So you're saying anyone that complains about HK is a hater and should shop somewhere else.
No. not exactly, but if anyone wants to know, they can hit that magnifying glass right under your name, then it'll make a whole lot of sense.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:52 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Crikies. Wasn't meant to be rude (hence the smilie). Sorry you read it that way. Neither was it directed at 'you' personally, rather 'you' the random punter in the collective sense. I can see I didn't express that very well.

Sure, I'd love to be able to fit more in a package for any given delivery price. Sure, it would be good if HK was able to give more accurate shipping weights. I'm not seeing it as a conspiracy to rip the punters off though.

Question for those who *know* (rather than just speculate). Does HK pay the shipping companies by the *exact* weight, or are they charged by weight ranges (the same as we get charged)?

If they pay by exact weight, it would be nice of HK (and would really earn some solid goodwill) if they automatically provided some credit points if we've paid too much for significantly over estimated shipping costs.

If on the other hand they pay by weight range (which I *suspect* but don't *know* is the case), then they only win if the weight difference is enough to put them in a lower price bracket. I suspect this doesn't happen very much (but would be nice to know; maybe we need a thread to track nominal v shipped weight? I've started one). In this case, then definitely they want you to be able to stuff as much in the box as possible. At the end of the day, they won't have a sustainable business by charging you to ship 'empty space'. They're a high volume (mostly) low margin business. They build a bigger business by building product sales volume, not shipping empty volume.

Either way, what counts is the 'doorstep' price. It almost doesn't matter how the all up cost is sliced, if vendor A can put a product on your doorstep for $n, and vendor B can put a comparable product on your doorstep for $n*1.5, does it make any difference what proportion was product cost or postage between the two vendors?

As for the last line, it was very much a tongue in cheek throwaway (again, not aimed at 'you' personally). Just to keep with the spirit of the HK good v evil perpetual motion machine around here.

cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:14 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
No. not exactly, but if anyone wants to know, they can hit that magnifying glass right under your name, then it'll make a whole lot of sense.
I have nothing to hide click away.
Last edited by valanti256; Oct 06, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:42 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dklein View Post
Thanks valanti256, I also found it unnecessary. Few people would behave the same way if they were face to face but hey, it's the internet so you just ignore the nonsense. I'm a big boy, I know what my choices are. I was simply wondering if others have found this. I've done 20 orders before I threw one on a scale. I was curious, since shipping is often a significant add to the cost. I just got another 2 kg package today that weighed in at 1.546 kg. I definitely would have added items to the order if the weight had been available. HK isn't making much money on this. They probably paid the 2kg rate anyways. This one was sent via Hong Kong Post and had a sticker on it for 225 HK$ which is $29 US. I paid $30.53 in shipping.

So the way I see it, they're losing potential business because I would have stuffed a few more bits of profit into that package if I could have.
It's too bad some people prefer to bash other users rather than just post their opinion about a topic or discuss a topic in a mature mannor.
I know in the US, businesses that ship a lot of product get shipping discounts that they don't pass along to their customers. I would assume HK gets shipping discounts also. That is a lot of extra profit when you consider how many orders they ship.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:48 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
I have nothing to hide click away or they can click your magnifying glass and see how you constantly bash any user you don't agree with.
I know- None of us can hide. I like this magnifying glass feature!
Just pointing to other users that may not know about this feature, since I've been on this site for many years and just barely found out.

But yes. If you must, Let's break down the facts-

Mine
you'll see that 99.999999% of my posts are helpful legit post
with 17.46% in the Batteries and Chargers (helping noobies)
with (2.77% post in the HK Clipped wing cub thread, where I'm helpful with setup)

Yours:
67.89% of them are in the HobbyKing threads, and almost 20% in 1 single HK hate thread.

You were saying???