HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:10 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Question
Snap roll?

How do you do a snap roll from level flight?
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Last edited by Felt_ripper 23; Aug 19, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt_ripper 23 View Post
How do you do a snap roll from level flight?
To do one properly you shouldn't usually need to use ailerons.. You give a sharp up elevator and full rudder input. This should stall one wing and the plane 'snaps' into a roll. A snap roll is really a spin performed horizontally.

They are actually tricky to do properly and many planes wont snap roll no matter how hard you try, if your plane wont spin than it almost certainly wont snap, some need to 'cheat' and use some aileron. If your plane will snap then it can really catch you out due to the high roll rate, it can be very hard to recover to straight and level upright flight as the plane may carry on rolling after you centralise the sticks. At my skill level it tends to be a lottery as to if the plane comes out upright, inverted or on it's side.. i guess i need to practice more! Try them at a safe altitude

http://www.flyrc.com/500001-0

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Aug 19, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:00 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
For snap roll I was taught left rudder along with right stick down & left which adds aileron. Now I'm anxious to try just rudder & elevator and see what happens. When I snap my Mini Pulse with aileron added, it is so violent that I swear something is going to break but it never has. It snaps so fast I have to let go of the sticks and then quickly figure out orientation...
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun
Old Aug 20, 2012, 03:24 AM
Joined May 2011
69 Posts
To do positive snaps you usually give full up elevator, and rudder and aileron in the same direction. To do negative snaps you give full down elevator, and rudder and aileron in opposite directions. It is best if you start negative snaps inverted. There are many things you can do to make them neater but these are the basics.

Have a look at this link on the bottom of the page http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/le...dex.shtml#snap
Ben Biggs is offline Find More Posts by Ben Biggs
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:06 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,476 Posts
A true snap is done with the wings (or a wing) stalled, just like a spin. So in principal you shouldnt need aileron. Some planes however do need a bit or aileron, but primarily a snap is, or at least should be, an elevator and rudder manouvre.

The link I posted was written by Scott Stoops who is one of the world's top RC and full scale aerobatic pilots and auther of the RC aerobatics bible 'The Pilot's Guide to Mastering Radio Control Flight'... so he should know: http://www.flyrc.com/500001-0
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer