HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:08 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,303 Posts
ahhhh yes,the ol top flite holy smoke delta wing.thing was a kit.back in the day this was one of the nicest deltas you could build.one of my flying buddies had one .man what a screamer.the shrike looks like a blur when i crank the stick left or right,but that delta was faster lol.i just ordered a new extremeflight outlaw,it's also a delta with a rudder for some crazy stunts
oly_rcer is offline Find More Posts by oly_rcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:45 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,905 Posts
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,303 Posts
===============================
Last edited by oly_rcer; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:55 PM
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,303 Posts
===============================
Last edited by oly_rcer; Oct 05, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,905 Posts
edit: bull's hit

errrr...what post?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Oct 06, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,522 Posts
Hi, guys.

I'm in no position to insist on anything but I would be very pleased if you just edited a few of the last posts and try and forget the whole incident.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:00 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
FYI, interesting Passer for sale, low cost, found here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753237
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,522 Posts
Thanks, SW. I might, indeed, get another Passer some day but I have a few more I would like to add to the hanger first. At least I got my 3D plane. I ended up going with a EPP Yak 54 and despite many years of rust since I last flew a really capable "fun fly", as we used to call them, it has already exceeded my expectations. It sure is nice to hover in virtual silence instead of with a shrieking glow engine. Now I just have to regain the confidence to try it at less than 100 feet!

Then, since winter is closing in, I'll probably go with a warbird next before getting a really light floater or a scale sailplane. I'm leaning towards a scale bird first since I plan on optimizing it for scale sailplane aerobatics and can fly it in dead air over a nearby lake once it freezes solid. In any case I'll be using the Specter and my foam ASW 28 to test out the electronics before risking more expensive gliders.

Speaking of electronics: HK introduced a new "9 gram" metal geared servo that intrigues me. On paper it looks like a metal gear version of the HXT900 or TGe 9. While I'm not eager to be a beta tester I might risk $10.00 on a pair. I wouldn't risk a $300.00+ sailplane but I could see using them instead of plastic geared servos on my cheapies.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...log_Servo.html

Finally; thanks for the edits, guys. We're just here to have fun.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,522 Posts
Oops! I forgot to mention that I broke my 11X6" prop. Luckily, it let loose in the air where it didn't hurt anyone and I managed to shut it down before the fuse got torn apart. Inspecting the stump I found a nick that didn't look like any kind of defect so I'm guessing I hit a rock on a previous landing. Now the climb with a 10X6", straight up for 10-12 seconds, seems sedate!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Peter,

For 3D flying I've built 3 planes this year and really been impressed with my latest build, a Twisted Hobbies Extra. This small 32" plane is light and flies very well. I've gone from wishing I could hover to actually being able to hold a hover and fly inches off the ground now. I've paired it up with a Motrofly DM2205-1800 motor that is also incredibly powerful given the weight. I get about 7minutes from a 2S 450mAh battery, very cool.

The EPP plane gives me the comfort of flying low knowing I won't bust the plane up. I do manage to go through many more props than before!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,522 Posts
I got the Tech One Yak 54 from Nitroplanes. $50.00, 42" span, 47" length, and 800grams AUW. I'm using a 2834 motor swinging a 11X3.8 prop for 1940grams calculated thrust! It goes just about the same speed straight up as it goes straight down with the motor chopped. I'm still learning its quirks and gradually increasing throws but, from the very first flight, it nearly hovers itself. I've also still got a couple ounces of lead on the nose so one has to really force it to snap but, once it departs, does lovely flat spins either upright or inverted. I get about 6 minutes with the 1300mah 3 cell and about 8 with the 1600 and, frankly, I need to land and calm down after that anyway.

I figure I'll step up to a balsa bird, perhaps one of the precision Aerobatics line, next spring. The Yak is a bit on the heavy side so it depends on brute force a bit more than a good balsa 3D plane. I've been doing Extras since they hit the market so I'll probably go with something different if I decide to go with more of a scale plane. I love Sukhois and Yaks with radial engines but it seems like they get too heavy with a scale fuselage section. Maybe a Sbach, MX2, or Katana? I might just stick with a non scale for my first balsa 3D.

I'm surprised that my prop is still intact since I don't have an 11" replacement and the performance is much poorer with the 10 inchers. I've checked every hobby shop within range and none of them have 11 inch slow fly props on hand and can't promise them much quicker than a slow boat from China so I'll just have to live with lower thrust for awhile if I break my primary prop.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
Your 3D foamy is in a totally different class than what i am flying now. My Twisted Hobbies is about 200g AUW. At 1/4 your flying weight the planes I am flying can be flown very low and slow, in fact I have been flying indoors in a basketball court. I can fly much faster up than the plane will fly pointed down without power.

I have heavier ones but have found it much easier to work on my flying skills with these lighter models. Much more responsive to my control, but then again the wind becomes a factor too.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,522 Posts
Yeah, it's a bit of a pig but it has enough brute force to fly well and will buck a little wind. I had it up in 10-15mph gusts and it flew surprisingly well with just a bit of weathervaning. Mostly I chose it because it will use the same range of electronics as my gliders. Low and slow is very impressive and, although I haven't tried flying indoors, I have flown out of a fairly small parking lot across the street. At night. Under the lights.

I figure that the larger size and visibility works out to just about a push with needing more room. I'm also going to really enjoy flying with my buddies who only fly glow. I expect I might even win a couple converts since it's roughly the same size as the planes they are flying with .52-.70 4-strokes and performs better. I don't think they have quite figured out that I can get hundreds of charges from a battery that costs less than 1/2 the price of a gallon of fuel and doesn't weigh much if any more than a nicad flight pack. I'm not quite ready to move my CG so far back but I figure that I will get very impressive, if brief, flights with the 950mah batteries. They make all the difference in the world in my ASW 28 though the Specter doesn't really seem to care despite 47grams difference
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:59 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
Your 3D foamy is in a totally different class than what i am flying now. My Twisted Hobbies is about 200g AUW. At 1/4 your flying weight the planes I am flying can be flown very low and slow, in fact I have been flying indoors in a basketball court. I can fly much faster up than the plane will fly pointed down without power.

I have heavier ones but have found it much easier to work on my flying skills with these lighter models. Much more responsive to my control, but then again the wind becomes a factor too.
Several guys in my club have built (& bought, from one guy who 'does it') these slow-flyiing foamies to hone their 3D skills - even in the wind. Or, just 'fly-for-fun'. When the pervasive breezes calm a bit just before sunset the sky often becomes a furball of these craft wheeling & spinning about. One thing that's impressed me is how long they fly on their tiny postage-stamp size batteries.
Gotta get me one, of course!! *LOL*
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
It really pleasantly surprised me as I went lighter and lighter how responsive and agile these planes are! To consistently get 7 minutes off such a small battery is amazing. They are only $5 each so I keep a pocketful ready and go fly for 30 minutes at a time on lunch break or after work just as the sun sets. I believe it's this ability to fit in flights on my schedule instead of just a few Saturday morning that has taken my flying to a new level.

There are new models that they say are about 175g AUW now. Amazing since just a 2300mAH battery weighs that which I easily toss in my Specter.

Give them