Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:56 AM
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Apr 2012
85 Posts
SubSonic Stratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LackOfAltitude View Post
Mark,

Someone's done this before - I found a YouTube or two of it. But no further data that I remember.

I have an older (read: really mangled and glued-up) Stratos fuselage and wingset that I've got ticketed for a couple of EDFs.....already swept the wings about 35 degrees :-). Now I have to do something with the (now facing not forward) wingtips.....right now, the thinking is to mount the EDFs under the wings, attached to the fuselage and wings. They're going to be off a Dynam A-10. This project is not on the front burner, tho', but it's sure gonna be fun when it is.
Sounds crazy and fast LOA, lol!

I have a new Stratos ESC/REC unit that I'm thinking about building an aircraft AROUND, just don't know what yet, wing? And like you, it's a back burner. I've got a quad and a Trex 450 to build first.

Cheers
Event_Horizon is offline Find More Posts by Event_Horizon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Firebird Stratos- How to remove Reciever ( Brick)

I have a Stratos with a faulty receiver( brick), and have purchased a crashed plane with good brick unit. How do I remove the old one and replace it, there ar control levers attached, ( not sure how to disconnect, or do you remove the whole control arms ? and the brick appears firmly glued in place.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
techpacificnz is offline Find More Posts by techpacificnz
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:05 AM
Canada, ON, Cochrane District
Joined Oct 2011
742 Posts
You do realize if you go one page back, someone asked the exact same thing, and replies were posted. Please read the thread, almost everything has been answered. seriously.

posts 2166,2167,2168,2169...
cr8tive_leo is offline Find More Posts by cr8tive_leo
Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:51 AM
United States, NC, Morrisville
Joined May 2013
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8tive_leo View Post
You do realize if you go one page back, someone asked the exact same thing, and replies were posted. Please read the thread, almost everything has been answered. seriously.

What do you mean like use the search tool or really read the threads. In todays age of instant gratification I thought all we did was set something aside and with in 24 hours the good fairy comes a repairs it
VPChianese is offline Find More Posts by VPChianese
Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2014
6 Posts
Thanks, I did do a search , but it didn't show up, but have successfully changed the brick, hope I have the alignment right now.

This is my first plane, so going to teach myself to fly with it ( hopefully)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8tive_leo View Post

techpacificnz is offline Find More Posts by techpacificnz
Old Jul 16, 2014, 09:59 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techpacificnz View Post
Thanks, I did do a search , but it didn't show up, but have successfully changed the brick, hope I have the alignment right now.

This is my first plane, so going to teach myself to fly with it ( hopefully)
take it slow and easy. Is a good plane to learn to fly on. Also, easy to glue back together..lol It will happen but don't let it discourage you. The Stratos was one of my favorite planes to learn on. Aside from the HZ Champ. I gave the stratos to my nephew, and he rocks with it to the point I am jealous...
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Jul 20, 2014, 08:25 PM
United States, VT, Plainfield
Joined Nov 2012
38 Posts
OK:

First, I have to say I love the Stratos airframe. This was my first RC plane, and I'm still very fond of it.

- Finished adding the two extra engines, flight-tested with rudder only and stock controller, Wow, I sure didn't have much rudder authority and was lucky to get it back home in one piece, it was a bit biased to one side. That was my bad.
- two 20-amp brushed ESCs support each pair of motors on each side, installed servos to run elevator/rudder.
- Took it back to the shop, and added the ailerons. Servos under the wings. Might make them more inset. Not sure I care at the moment.
- modified the elevators so that they are now full-across (Stratos makes that easy)
- upgraded the landing gear wheels to something that will land on a grass strip without flipping over
- Flight-tested.

This is the bomb. Totally fun to fly. put a 2200mAh 2-cell in it. Lots of extra weight, but it doesn't care. Dubbed it the "StratosFortress". Looks bad-ass. Have some lights I'd like to add…contemplating flaps, to really overdo it. Goes like hell. And that's on the stock motors, although there are now four of them….I wonder if it would survive on a 3-cell….

If I decide to go completely crazy, I'll upgrade all four motors to Grayson Hobby Micro V3s (I've got a few lying around). That'll rip the wings right off.

Will post pictures of:

- flight
- innards
- ailerons
- etc

w/in the next week.

Cheers….
LackOfAltitude is offline Find More Posts by LackOfAltitude
Old Aug 01, 2014, 11:21 PM
AMA# finditwhenigethome
United States, MN, Fairmont
Joined May 2013
1,788 Posts
Does anyone know if the stock stratos can handle a 3s lipo? Thanks, J
Ghjghj96 is offline Find More Posts by Ghjghj96
Old Aug 02, 2014, 04:51 AM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghjghj96 View Post
Does anyone know if the stock stratos can handle a 3s lipo? Thanks, J
No it will not. You'll burn up the motors.

As I recall each motor draws around 7amps at full throttle and turns somewhere around 4200-4500rmp. Push it beyond that with more battery or a more aggressive prop and you'll kill the motors for openers.
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:27 AM
AMA# finditwhenigethome
United States, MN, Fairmont
Joined May 2013
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
No it will not. You'll burn up the motors.

As I recall each motor draws around 7amps at full throttle and turns somewhere around 4200-4500rmp. Push it beyond that with more battery or a more aggressive prop and you'll kill the motors for openers.
Oh ok thanks
Ghjghj96 is offline Find More Posts by Ghjghj96
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
895 Posts
Still in air with stock equipment - my son David (3, 5y) likes this plane.
If he comes with me, he has to fly the Stratos.
He is only responsible for throttle management and I for elev and rudder....next I will explain him the other functions how they go.
Nice plane !
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,222 Posts
Nice. I bought this plane for my son when he was 7. He has moved on to a mustang and hawker hurricane. Plane is hanging in the garage now a bit beat up and not flying any m
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member