HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:46 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
Build Log
Duet Beta Build

My kit arrived yesterday in fine shape. The wood is VERY nice, and the plans are nicely done. This will be a nice model!

I'll be starting this build this weekend and I have a request... If you wish to comment, please wait until the build sequence is completed. That way, other builders will not have to sift through the oooooohhhs and aaaahhhs to get through their build. However, if you have a question about something that isn't clear to you, post away!

I'm at work as I type this, so no pics until this evening...

Jack Womack
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:31 AM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,358 Posts
Hi Jack... Look forward to your building log.
Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:35 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,840 Posts
Sweet!
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 16, 2011, 06:45 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,555 Posts
I'm watchin' Too!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doin' What come naturally!
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:15 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
Uh... did you guys read the first post?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:50 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,448 Posts
Jack,

I was wondering if, throughout your build, you could try to think of the perspective of a new builder and comment on or clarify steps that might be confusing. Experienced builders, like yourself, can easily look at the box of parts and intuitively know how it will go together, new builders rely much more on the instructions. Something as simple as mistaking a strip of balsa for a basswood spar strip could make for a doomed build. That type of feedback would help people here and would assist Mark in fine tuning the directions.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Sep 16, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
Kit Pics

OK Sports fans... Here it is! The wood is nice and there are lots of laser-cut parts. So, here we go, on my first 2-meter glider build...

Please remember that this is a beta build, so some of the parts may change slightly, and your kit in the future may not look exactly like this one.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
A few more...

And hopefully tomorrow night, I'll start the wings. This wing is undercambered, so some shimming of the trailing edge will be required, like building free-flight gliders when I was a kid...

Nice job, Mark!

Throughout this build, I will try to keep the explanations and directions aimed at the less-experienced builders in the group, as Wayne suggested.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:35 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
OK gents... I had forgotten that you needed to type something in to subscribe... my apologies. Subscribe away...

I'll do this thing in sections and post an entire section at once... By doing so, we will be able to sift through to the build much easier.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:52 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
OK gents... I had forgotten that you needed to type something in to subscribe... my apologies. Subscribe away...

I'll do this thing in sections and post an entire section at once... By doing so, we will be able to sift through to the build much easier.

Don't need to post to subscribe. Click "Thread Tools". Sorry for the post.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:40 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
Let the games begin...

Ok, we're starting with the wings. That's where I always start.

Many of you are experienced builders and will not need the level of detail that I am going to provide. Many out there in IP Land need a lot of help, so I'm going to make this as detailed as possible for their sakes.

I am starting at the tip panels and the first thing I noticed is how deeply notched the trailing edge is. Also, there is a 5-degree angle forward sweep in the trailing edge, so these notches have to be cut on that same angle. The ribs are 3/32" balsa so the notches have to be the correct width... what to do!?!?

I made a template for marking the trailing edge so I could have accurate rib notches. However, we'll do this a different way for the main panels... more on that later.

Here's what the template and trailing edge look like...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 01:15 AM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2009
1,113 Posts
Jack,

Does the kerf of the saw take out the 3/32" or do you need 2 parallel cuts? Do you have a pic of your saw? Do you free-hand the cuts or use a jig? (just a little more info for any newbies, or oldbies - ). Thanks.
SHVentus is offline Find More Posts by SHVentus
Old Sep 19, 2011, 08:06 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
The slot requires 2 cuts. After the first one, you need to be careful with the second to keep it accurate, because the blade wants to drift toward the first kerf. I use the jig to mark the cuts and I mark them deeply enough to show any inaccuracies in the slot. I have a flat, fine rasp that is only 1/16" thick. It allows me to clean up the slots for a perfect fit. Trying to use the jig with the saw would wear out the jig quickly, and the slots would get wider with each pass.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:36 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,716 Posts
Just an FYI for you all.... the reason for the deep slots is that the rear of this airfoil is quite thin. In the prototypes I used 3/4" TE stock and things were to flimsy back there. I left the ribs the same but went to 1" TE stock with optional scallops on the version Jack is building. It should add a lot to the structure back there.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Last edited by Mark Miller; Sep 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:23 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,772 Posts
FYI... I have a really bad cold right now. I won't be doing much on the Duet until I feel better. That's probably gonna be next week... Sorry...
Last edited by schrederman; Sep 21, 2011 at 08:04 AM.