HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:51 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Wine goes straight down, irrespective of latitude, any preliminary swirling is a purely voluntary, aimed at making my wife believe that my action has some hidden intellectual value...
Does that mean your wife doesn't drink ? My wife and I both know we're slobs, so we drink from a wine-cask (Hmm - wonder which way it swirls coming out of the tap ?)
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:49 AM
Recycled Modeller
Wilf's Avatar
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
McCoy Redhead 35 Leaflet

Would anyone have a scan of this leaflet which came with the Redhead 35?

Someone in the US is selling reprints of it, but he won't ship outside the US (Why, I do not know!)
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:04 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,517 Posts
Message no longer valid
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Feb 23, 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: I've posted Wilf's leaflet
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:28 AM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Earl, you are possibly looking at the wrong engine - its the one on the right in the early 1970's advert. BOB
Yes you are correct, I was thinking of the production BB rat race .40 engine. This one was different. My mistake sorry.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Gaui X3's
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:58 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
brokenenglish's Avatar
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
Would anyone have a scan of this leaflet which came with the Redhead 35?

Someone in the US is selling reprints of it, but he won't ship outside the US (Why, I do not know!)
OK Wilf, here it is.
Brian
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:06 AM
Recycled Modeller
Wilf's Avatar
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
OK Wilf, here it is.
Brian
That's great, Brian, thanks a million!

Wilf
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
Recycled Modeller
Wilf's Avatar
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
Strange Testors "Pipebomb" Engine

Has anyone ever seen a version of the Testors "Pipebomb" .049, as used in the "Fly 'Em" RTF models, with a front rotary inlet system, and the venturi apparently on the right-hand side of the crankcase? A member on the Cox Engines Forum has one, and we are trying to find out anything we can about it.
The engine he has is missing the venturi/needlevalve, and can only be identified as "different" by the hole in the crankcase where it should fit.
The "Pipebombs" are not mentioned at all in Guy Eaves' Wen-Mac list unfortunately.
I assume this was produced to fit a particular "Fly 'Em" RTF. and I'd like to
know which one it was.
Any help would be much appreciated

Wilf
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:00 PM
Registered User
earlwb's Avatar
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,718 Posts
It seems people are calling all of the Testors engine types "Pipebombs".
But I think the moniker applies to the Testors .049 engine with the plastic crankcase and the small plastic fuel tank on the back with a fuel fill hopper on it. The engines were a rear intake reed valve design without mounting lugs as they simply snapped into place on the RTF planes at that time period. There is a slotted rail on the right side that helps you snap the engine into the plane and help keeps it there. You can see the small square hopper filler hole on the left side or actually the top since the cylinder is on its side to the right. The needle valve is up close near the rear of the engine. They engines actually run pretty good, nothing spectacular for power, but they make good useable power for flying the planes they were made for.
Here is my example:




Here is a video clip of one being test run on the bench.
11. Testors "Pipe Bomb" Engine Test (2 min 48 sec)


Here is my other example with the really small puny fuel tank on it. I assume this must have been a Free flight plane of some type, as the engine run isn't very long. Plus it must have been used in a tether car or a free running car with the drive gear on the front of the engine. Note that I have a glow plug conversion head on this example. This one is a upright running engine with the needle valve off to a 45 degree angle to the left.


earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 23, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Wilf, this is a rear induction model, if its any help. Apparently, these things were made in a multitude of different models & configurations to suit whatever model they were going into........
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:39 PM
Recycled Modeller
Wilf's Avatar
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
It seems people are calling all of the Testors engine types "Pipebombs".
But I think the moniker applies to the Testors .049 engine with the plastic crankcase and the small plastic fuel tank on the back with a fuel fill hopper on it. The engines were a rear intake reed valve design without mounting lugs as they simply snapped into place on the RTF planes at that time period. There is a slotted rail on the right side that helps you snap the engine into the plane and help keeps it there. You can see the small square hopper filler hole on the left side or actually the top since the cylinder is on its side to the right. The needle valve is up close near the rear of the engine. They engines actually run pretty good, nothing spectacular for power, but they make good useable power for flying the planes they were made for.
Yes, I am well aware that only the glass reinforced nylon crankcases are "Pipebombs", and this is the reason for my question, we have an example of one which is front rotary valve induction, As you say, and certainly all of them that I have ever seen, or heard of, are reed valve rear induction. This one has the "plastic" crankcase, but appears to have had a venturi and needle assembly pressed into a hole in the right front of the crankcase, just behind the spring housing, as shown in the photo
The tank has a fuel tube which runs along the crankcase and enters at the point where we are assuming the venturi and needlevalve were fixed....
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:45 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
And just while we're on the subject of model engines that use radical materials or metalurgy in their construction, here's the test again of the K & B Sportster which uses a chrome plated piston running in the bare alloy of the block - just like the "slag" engines of old (but much better) !
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:46 PM
Recycled Modeller
Wilf's Avatar
Dungiven, Northern Ireland
Joined Apr 2008
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Wilf, this is a rear induction model, if its any help. Apparently, these things were made in a multitude of different models & configurations to suit whatever model they were going into........
I know they were made in various configurations, I have several in my collection which are all slightly different, but this one is radically different, being front induction, (See picture in my other post here) so far I have been unable to find anyone who has seen this before, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to shed some light on it
Wilf is offline Find More Posts by Wilf
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilf View Post
I know they were made in various configurations, I have several in my collection which are all slightly different, but this one is radically different, being front induction, (See picture in my other post here) so far I have been unable to find anyone who has seen this before, so I'm hoping someone here will be able to shed some light on it
Wilf, probably your only chance is to wait until G. Willie gets back next week. He may know someone in MECA who specialises in these small Testors engines.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Courtesy of Model Airplane News -
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:05 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Engine Review conclusion -
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Vintage Engines being run video earlwb Engines 37 Apr 01, 2013 02:48 PM
For Sale Multiple glow engines Greyout Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 12 Oct 03, 2012 01:13 PM
For Sale Vintage glow engines for sale very cheap TheEdge Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 19 Jan 18, 2011 06:37 PM
Question rc glow engines startup1 Beginner Training Area (Fuel) 6 Nov 04, 2010 07:53 PM
For Sale four glow engines thriller Aircraft - Fuel - Engines and Accessories (FS/W) 5 Sep 25, 2010 10:42 AM