HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:18 PM
Anything that gives me a High
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
Guys, I put some more flights today and finally experienced the nasty tip stall some of you had experienced.

Going vertical after a high speed pass to perform a split S I stalled the plane just after rolling it over, nose came down first and as I applied the elevator to come out of it she tip stalled but I had enough altitude to recover, at first I was going to myself "what da f"........I proceeded to try to duplicate the tip stall.

The first try I kept the air speed up as I always do and the split S was beautiful, even coming out I was hard on the elevator and she didn't tip stall.
The second try, I purposely stalled it again as I was rolling in to my split S and coming out she tip stalled again and I answered with recovering it (was ready for it this time).
I decided to purposely do it again and stall it on the split and again she tip stalled and I recovered again.

My conclusion is don't stall it, keep your speed up at all times and all should be fine, Hell......its a jet and it likes to fly fast (unfortunatlly its not as forgiving as some jets may be in a stall).

Cheers.
super kupfer is offline Find More Posts by super kupfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:21 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=1412

I was looking at this motor as well, what do you think?

5000kv on 4 cells.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:27 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts
Flew my Evader for the first time today , I feared that it should be too small and to quick for both my self and my field. But in reality it was not that hard to follow or fly , atleast as one follows it all the time while flying. I did however expect that it would be faster..but still itīs very fast indeed The maiden flight didnīt go too well though, first my elevator rates where a bit to low, making it a bit slow to go up.. thus while landing the plane the rudder was renderd inneffective and so the nose buried into the ground. Itīs already repaired and will be flying again tomorrow !

Final thoughts about the plane. Sure fun and impressive little plane, easy to both store and transport. Itīs a keeper ! Iīm also satified with the speed and wonīt make it fly faster.
Kenta78 is offline Find More Posts by Kenta78
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:38 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
After around 20+ flights it feels kind of slow + I would like to have more vertical power.

So Im going to put a higher kv motor and hope that its going to do the trick.

But the plane is a lot of fun
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:51 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
Wishing all Americans and especially American Service Men & Women a Happy 4 of July, may you all be blessed for your fight for freedom across the world.

Cheers
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:24 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
I had another 12 flights today with the last one almost losing the jet.

During the last flight all of a sudden I lost elevator almost completely, right away I proceeded to land, landing was very hot but I managed to bring her down with minor damage ( had min hair line cracks on the center part of the fuse, EDF unit came loose clean at the glue line and the rest was if nothing happened).

On examination I noticed that the elevator servo tray came loose right at the glue line.........Im not happy about that but glad that I was able to bring her safely with a bit of skill and luck.

I guess that's one thing I would be checking on the next evader I put together.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:43 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero View Post
Like it so much I bought a backup kit when Tower had free shipping. The current one is getting beat up; most recently the entire fan unit came loose from the fuze during flight - still flew, just not as good
Chris
Yup.
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:23 AM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
I reglued the elevator tray using z-poxy + micro balloon......that should do the trick.

Going to fly tomorrow
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:00 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
Well the edf unit came loose again, Im starting to feel that gluing the edf unit to the thrust tube may be a good way to save on production costs and weight but is not a good solid way to mount the edf unit.

To correct/improve the way the edf mounts I decided to use a traditional way by cutting a hatch and mounting the unit using screws.

The pictures should give you some clues of what am I about to do but I will cover more detail on my next post.
Last edited by super kupfer; Jul 07, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:09 PM
F-OFF
Joined Mar 2007
1,055 Posts
Hey good idea! nice to see some changes to the HF, hopefully the adapter is a better fit to the motor shaft.

Ordered up a dons 4400+. so as soon as it gets here ......
imyohero is offline Find More Posts by imyohero
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:11 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
889 Posts
Do you think your hatch will weaken the airframe? That seems like a lot of area you cut out.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:39 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
Do you think your hatch will weaken the airframe? That seems like a lot of area you cut out.
At the moment it is a bit weaker but ones I start gluing the edf mounting blocks/stringers it should stiffen out and if that doesn't work I could use some carbon cloth to stiffen things out more.

We shell see ones I start doing some work early next week.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:33 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super kupfer View Post
Well the edf unit came loose again, Im starting to feel that gluing the edf unit to the thrust tube may be a good way to save on production costs and weight but is not a good solid way to mount the edf unit.

To correct/improve the way the edf mounts I decided to use a traditional way by cutting a hatch and mounting the unit using screws.

The pictures should give you some clues of what am I about to do but I will cover more detail on my next post.
Nice! Exactly how I would do it - good job!!
Chris
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Jul 09, 2012, 02:30 PM
ZX-10R pilot
USA, TX, Lumberton
Joined Oct 2005
383 Posts
Clean cutting job
setxws6 is offline Find More Posts by setxws6
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:19 PM
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Jan 2010
1,470 Posts
Ok guys this is it.

I stayed up last night till 2am working on this thing and finishing the edf/motor install, I woke up at 9 am to go flying and put a record of 36 flights ( for one day that's a lot of flying for me and I intend to take a break for the rest of the week).

The edf unit install was a breeze and the revised edf unit is so much easier to balance and the only thing I changed was a machined alum spinner made by me.

I flow the hell out of this thing even had a few cartwheel landings (trying to land this thing on grass taller then 6" can be a bitch sometimes), this thing is like a flying tank and can handle some beating.

Anyways I just got my new evader kit (this one was my experimental one) so I'm going to cover this mod in detail.

Stay tuned