Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:38 AM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,540 Posts
Contest
SOS - "Soar or Splash" Build Off 2015

The "AMPLAN" build off closes in five days on Tuesday 31st March, and what a great collection of super models it has produced, 25 completed so far with a few more to come in the next five days I hope. Look out for the Poll Thread next week and be sure to vote for your three favourites (but please do read the first post in the Poll Thread BEFORE voting!)

So.....time for another Build Off starting on April 1st 2015. After canvassing interest two areas "floated" to the surface - gliders and waterplanes. There was also some support for a "design your own vintage style model" event, but I think we will leave that for next time perhaps. So it is gliders or waterplanes, and here are the "rules" such as they are:

Duration of build off; 1st April 2015 to 30th September 2015 (six months)

The model may be either a glider or sailplane OR a model designed for flying from water, i.e. a floatplane or flying boat built from any design published in a commercial magazine or book OR kitted before 31st December 1965.

The model may be original size OR scaled up or down.

The model may be powered by the original method (i.e in the case of a glider, unpowered) or by any alternative – e.g. rubber or IC power converted to electric, IC power converted to rubber, glider to electric power or IC power etc.

Note: In the case of gliders, models originally published as power assisted but clearly of glider format are acceptable - for example such designs as the Ted Strader Nomad, Gulliver and Gypsy

The model may be flown as originally designed or converted to another flying method – e.g. F/F or C/L to radio, radio to F/F or C/L etc.

In order to qualify for the poll at the end of the build off the model must be completed by midnight local time on the closing date, but not necessarily flown. As a minimum a photo and description of the finished model must be posted on the Build Off thread, but if possible a Build Log thread for the model is much preferred, please try and do one if at all possible, they are a source of great interest for many people, not just those taking part, and a good source of building tips and problem solutions.

As before I will keep the first post of the thread up to date with entries, progress and build log links.

When you have decided to enter a model, please post the details on this thread, if there is to be a build log please also post the link to that here too, particularly if it is to be in another forum - free flight or scale for example - once you start it, I will pick up and list any started on this forum, but can't look at all the other forums. If you title the build log thread "(Model) - SOS Build Off April 2015 to September 2015" that would be a help. If you have any doubts about the eligibility of a particular model, just ask for a ruling. Entries made in other build-offs (e.g. BBCC in the Balsa Builders Forum) which meet the qualifying criteria and will not be started until April 1st, may also be entered here, just post the details in this thread as above so I can pick them up.

As with all the Build Offs that I have administered, the aim is to have fun and produce models which the builders can enjoy, there will be a Poll at the end for everyone to vote for their favourites, but again this is strictly for fun and the pleasure of your work being recognised by other modellers.

So....get browsing your magazine and plan collections or Outerzone and let's see a novel and interesting selection of subjects. But, above all, ENJOY!

ENTRY LIST

cpmcgraw - Windrush. Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2378728
brokenspar - Skyleada Amphibian. Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2379933
RFJ - KK Soarer Baby (x2). Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2381153
Ronald L - Pendulum Pete (Laumer).
Owlsabie - Classy Class C Glider. Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2382692
Awiatik - Wolf Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post31224898
brokenspar - Nimbus Nudger. Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post31270335
cd_webb - Golden Wings . Build log at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post31303298
xp533d - Jasco Thermic C
Sundancer - Merbaby
Sundancer - Lulu II (electric)
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Last edited by Sundancer; Apr 11, 2015 at 06:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2015, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
900 Posts
SD,

I'm going to bite the proverbial bullet here and declare an entry in this build-off, even as I'm still finishing up the Champion. The design I've selected appears to be simple enough (famous last words, of course) that even an old fart like me could do it...

Windrush II, designed by Henry Jones, published in Aeromodeller, August 1951.

Outerzone link

Let's do this!
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Mar 27, 2015, 01:27 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,540 Posts
OK cp, I knew I could rely on you, I'll post the entry. But I must say I think your interpretation of "simple" and mine don't match! It looks like a pretty tricky build to me!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
OK cp, I knew I could rely on you, I'll post the entry. But I must say I think your interpretation of "simple" and mine don't match! It looks like a pretty tricky build to me!
The only changes I'm making are to add RE controls, and to provide an access hatch in the nose. Otherwise, it's just a matter of cutting out some parts and creating a kit. This is far less complex than either the Champion or the Eaglet.

If I had wanted "complex" and "tricky", I'd have chosen the Dactyl from July 1949...
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Last edited by cpmcgraw; Mar 27, 2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by -Balsa-
Joined Jan 2010
5 Posts
I'd like to enter with a KK Soarer Baby with RE control but I can't seem to find its original publication date so I'm sure if it's eligible?

Also, I've got a couple of TT re-issues of KK kits, the Conquest and Cadet specifically, I've got to assume that those are well out of bounds?

Cheers,

Paul
-Balsa- is offline Find More Posts by -Balsa-
Old Mar 27, 2015, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Balsa- View Post
I'd like to enter with a KK Soarer Baby with RE control but I can't seem to find its original publication date so I'm sure if it's eligible?
Paul
Well you've found it now! I think it was first announced in the Aeromodeller of February 1946.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Old Mar 27, 2015, 05:08 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Balsa- View Post

Also, I've got a couple of TT re-issues of KK kits, the Conquest and Cadet specifically, I've got to assume that those are well out of bounds?

Cheers,

Paul
Yes, as Brian says Paul the Soarer series were mid 1940's designs so well in bounds - as also are the Conquest and Cadet as it is the original kitting dates that count, and these were very much pre-1965. Would you like me to post all three as entries?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 05:51 PM
Find More Posts by -Balsa-
Joined Jan 2010
5 Posts
Well that's good news, thanks for your help chaps!

I'm unsure which one (or ones) I'm going to go for as of yet. The Conquest with its sheet sides is probably the easiest. Might even be able to fit a small out runner in that one. Give me a couple of days to mull it over and I'll get back to you.

Whichever one I build it has to be done quick as I've been wanting something I can take with me to the family caravan on our next trip on the May Bank holiday .
-Balsa- is offline Find More Posts by -Balsa-
Last edited by -Balsa-; Mar 27, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by tenbars
Joined Nov 2007
116 Posts
I'm sitting on the fence, I've never participated in one of these Build Off's. If a guy were to take the plunge are Jerry Stoloff's designs eligible?

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...&Submit=Search

I'm thinking Swami or Spearhead.

Thanks,
tenbars is offline Find More Posts by tenbars
Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:55 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenbars View Post
I'm sitting on the fence, I've never participated in one of these Build Off's. If a guy were to take the plunge are Jerry Stoloff's designs eligible?

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...&Submit=Search

I'm thinking Swami or Spearhead.

Thanks,
Unfortunately you are one build off too late - all the Stoloff designs are old enough and would have met the criteria for the AMPLAN build off which finishes next Tuesday - designs by American designers - but as far as I can see none of them is either a glider or a model designed for flying off water, which are the qualifications for this one: Quote from Post #1 - The model may be either a glider or sailplane OR a model designed for flying from water, i.e. a floatplane or flying boat built from any design published in a commercial magazine or book OR kitted before 31st December 1965..

HarryD did do a very nice Spearhead for the "Complete a Project in 2014" Build Off which finished December 31st 2014 - see below.
Last edited by Sundancer; Mar 28, 2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by brokenspar
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,242 Posts
I'm in with the Skyleada Amphibian:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post31187960
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Mar 28, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
3,045 Posts
Yes, I'll join in, probably with a glider, or maybe a small Privateer.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 28, 2015, 05:31 PM
RFJ
Find More Posts by RFJ
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,813 Posts
Quote:
I'd like to enter with a KK Soarer Baby with RE control
Now there's a coincidence Paul. My planned entry will also be a KK Soarer Baby but enlarged to 2 meter wingspan with an electric motor up front

Just have to finish off my first twin electric before making a start next month.

For anyone interested -
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2373849

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Mar 28, 2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by tenbars
Joined Nov 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Unfortunately you are one build off too late.

So floats on the Swami doesn't do it, we can call it Swampy?

Okay, Thanks - Enjoy the Build Off.
tenbars is offline Find More Posts by tenbars
Old Mar 28, 2015, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by JeffMac
I'd rather be flying.....
United States, IA, Story City
Joined Oct 2013
791 Posts
George -
I have two models in mind : Berkeley Privateer 36 for electric RC and / or Zaic Jasco Floater 72" electric RC ....

Thanks for having these builds !

Best Regards,

Jeff
JeffMac is offline Find More Posts by JeffMac