Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:26 AM
Find More Posts by Nettraptor
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
853 Posts
Discussion
Diy Strobo light

i have a 1 watt led and i want to drive it with a servo amplifier circuit.
Connecting the led into the servo motor..i want to make it lit with strobo effect.
maybe with the Hextronik HXT500 servo circuit. I gues max current with this is - .5Amps continuous - 1A peak.

Is this possible .. ?
Nettraptor is offline Find More Posts by Nettraptor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by Zen09
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
Did you mean to remove the motor and connect the LED in place? The motor is driven by 5V pulses so it is easy to burn the LED if PWM duty cycle is too high (i.e. the command is too far from center)

I think you can add a series resistor though but also be careful to not exceed 0.5A as the HXT500's electronic drive may burn. Then you setup your radio so that the channel goes from neutral to a specific point alternatively, pretty much like in servo test mode.

That is the servo approach. I personaly prefer a smaller independent circuit.
I've made my strobe light out of a IC (from a cheapie red flashing bike light) aplified with a transistor. All powered from 5V BEC.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:05 AM
Find More Posts by Nettraptor
MK Addict
Hellas
Joined Jun 2009
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09 View Post
Did you mean to remove the motor and connect the LED in place? The motor is driven by 5V pulses so it is easy to burn the LED if PWM duty cycle is too high (i.e. the command is too far from center)

I think you can add a series resistor though but also be careful to not exceed 0.5A as the HXT500's electronic drive may burn. Then you setup your radio so that the channel goes from neutral to a specific point alternatively, pretty much like in servo test mode.

That is the servo approach. I personaly prefer a smaller independent circuit.
I've made my strobe light out of a IC (from a cheapie red flashing bike light) aplified with a transistor. All powered from 5V BEC.
your approach is very interesting.. i have a very very cheap flash light (1 watt) operates with 4,5volts that has 3 modes when you
open is mode 1 normal
close > open mode 2 low
close > open mode 3 SOS pulse

i will take a picture of the circuit that is exactly like 10cents (small)
i saw 2 transistors 2 resistors and one capacitor , all are SMD..
anyway i want to make it flash according the value of a channel from TX.

excacly like this
Flytron Power LED Navigation Strobe Light (0 min 27 sec)

I know is cheap someone will say why don't you buy this.. i prefer to build it my self !
Nettraptor is offline Find More Posts by Nettraptor
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by Zen09
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
923 Posts
You should also consider this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8833 - very small, lightweight and cheap. The advantage is that you can use it for other things as well.

My IC has about 6 flashing modes, I manually select one pressing a button before launch, I don't need them to change or switch off/on during flight.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by Disarray
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
905 Posts
Build this, very simple and you can get all the parts at radio shack:

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...1t:429,r:8,s:0
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Feb 12, 2015, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by saintofinternet
India, MH, Pune
Joined Sep 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disarray View Post
Build this, very simple and you can get all the parts at radio shack:

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl...1t:429,r:8,s:0
could you post the PCB layout if possible??
saintofinternet is offline Find More Posts by saintofinternet
Old Feb 15, 2015, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by Simon Castle
Germany, HE, Griesheim
Joined May 2008
205 Posts
Using an old servo as a simple on/off switch is very easy, just remove the pot and replace with 2x 2.2K resistors or something similar. I have done it several times.
I think if you stall a 500xt it pulls about 250 to 300 mA which may be enough to drive a 1W LED. Use a diode or resistor to drop the voltage so you dont burn the LED.
You possibly dont want to run it at full unless you have good cooling any way.
I have 6 regular 5mm high powered LEDs running in this way.
If you want to switch more power then use and old FET or by new ones.

Making it flash is more complex, Even with a 555 or a couple of transistors and caps you will have something that's bigger than you possibly want and then not so flexible.

If I want to flash something from a servo input I just use an Arduino, you can then make it do what you want. see this for a simple Example

... Simon
Simon Castle is offline Find More Posts by Simon Castle
Last edited by Simon Castle; Feb 15, 2015 at 08:28 AM.