Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by bhoov128
John 20:1-18
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
10,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorRash View Post
Thanks for all the additional replies on charge rates folks! I see a general consensus brewing here.

Also see increased charge rates, addtl. batteries, likely a parallel adaptor board and certainly less painful wait times between flights for me in the future!
A Pittsburgher! How yinz doin?

A lot of 1C and 2C chargers out there; I have a couple of small twisted-appropriate thunder power batteries that charge at 12C and I hit them at 12C all the time. They hold up great, and an 8 minute charge for a 450 mAh battery is niiiiice.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by RotorRash
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
A Pittsburgher! How yinz doin?

A lot of 1C and 2C chargers out there; I have a couple of small twisted-appropriate thunder power batteries that charge at 12C and I hit them at 12C all the time. They hold up great, and an 8 minute charge for a 450 mAh battery is niiiiice.
Ha!! Doing fine! I'm originally a NEastern MD native (Hi Aaron!) but have been in the burgh since '82. Now a Pittsburger thru and thru. I've been looking at your Pens Avatar in the past and have been meaning to ask you bout it. Sounds like your an uprooted W. PA native now living in sunny FL? (once a PGH sports fan always one for life I'm sure)

As for chargers....I popped for the Prophet Sport Plus a while back. Seemed to be a good value purchase. $50 for a 1-6s AC/DC charger w/ 5A max charge rate. I'tll do me for now at least. One thing I've learned from this hobby in my 3 year journey so far...There's always another hopeful purchase begging for attention from your wallet in your future! Thanks to all the replies to my original question I'll not be so conservative in my approach to charging and will charge above 1c as needed. As many have said....these batteries are at a price point that alleviates any real concern anyway.

Not holding any significant hope for tonites game 5 vs Rangers..... but........GO PENS!!!!!
RotorRash is offline Find More Posts by RotorRash
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by darticus
United States, NJ, Sparta Township
Joined Mar 2007
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Why would I give away trade secrets? Do you think that's a smart idea? For instance, why would I tell you they're 5050 SMD 6.4Vf LEDs each wired with a 220ohm 5% resistor (red red brown gold) from Radio Shack - I'm using 3S batteries so 12v nominal determined the size of the resistor needed, and soldered together using enameled magnet wire? Why would I say there are two on top of the horizontal stab and two on bottom, and two top/ two bottom on each wingtip, for a total of 12 lights? Do you take me for a fool?

Sheesh.
Wanted to try some leds with my planes. I know radio shack has strips of leds. Can you just cut the strips a any spot and wire them in? Are the resisters built into the strips? Would anyone help me with which radio shack leds strips would work? I know they are going out of business around here and maybe I can get a good deal on leds. Thanks Ron
darticus is offline Find More Posts by darticus
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by joker24458
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
Wanted to try some leds with my planes. I know radio shack has strips of leds. Can you just cut the strips a any spot and wire them in? Are the resisters built into the strips? Would anyone help me with which radio shack leds strips would work? I know they are going out of business around here and maybe I can get a good deal on leds. Thanks Ron
Well I'm not bhoov, but I have some experience with LED strips. I have never used the Radioshack ones, but they generally use 12V. Also most strips can be cut in groups of three LED's (or multiples of three.....there will be cut marks). Yes, there are resistors built in to match the voltage it was designed for.

-Andres
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorRash View Post
Ha!! Doing fine! I'm originally a NEastern MD native (Hi Aaron!)
!
Cool deal! Good to know. If you still have family down here, stop by our field and fly. I have a little RC club like literally a few hundred yards from my house. Funny thing is, I always fly foamies in my yard... too lazy to walk to the field LOL
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Cement Pizza Guy - NEW
Old Apr 24, 2015, 09:48 PM
Find More Posts by RotorRash
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
Cool deal! Good to know. If you still have family down here, stop by our field and fly. I have a little RC club like literally a few hundred yards from my house. Funny thing is, I always fly foamies in my yard... too lazy to walk to the field LOL
Still have family to the north of you (nearing DE/PA borders). Will keep this in mind on my next trip out there. Would love to stop (even w/o gear) to see you fly in person!
RotorRash is offline Find More Posts by RotorRash
Old Apr 24, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,404 Posts
Good deal. Fly some of my planes
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Cement Pizza Guy - NEW
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 PM
Joined May 2012
10,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
I have no idea how to answer these questions without knowing more about the specs of the LEDs that Radio Shack sells.

I get LEDs from a friend of mine who I do work for and he has an online shop specializing in different LED products.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by joker24458
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,491 Posts
Quote:
I have no idea how to answer these questions without knowing more about the specs of the LEDs that Radio Shack sells.

I get LEDs from a friend of mine who I do work for and he has an online shop specializing in different LED products.
Cool, what is his website?

-Andres
joker24458 is offline Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Joined May 2012
10,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
Cool, what is his website?

-Andres
cometpinball.com
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by darticus
United States, NJ, Sparta Township
Joined Mar 2007
1,050 Posts
Quote:
cometpinball.com
Thanks very much. do you have a suggestion on which ones I should search out? Thanks Ron
darticus is offline Find More Posts by darticus
Old Yesterday, 10:07 AM
Joined May 2012
10,775 Posts
They're made for pinball machines (pretty obvious sorry ) ... As such the have bases and resistors assembled into them. I have to disassemble them to get at the plain led and do some desoldering/resoldering work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by Sabin
The cycle is complete.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
2,259 Posts
Quote:
They're made for pinball machines (pretty obvious sorry ) ... As such the have bases and resistors assembled into them. I have to disassemble them to get at the plain led and do some desoldering/resoldering work.
save yourself all that work and order from here. http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/component-leds/
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM View Post
donal123
This post is hidden because the author is currently suspended. Show it to me anyway.