HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2014, 01:39 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
Build Log
Hawk MC

I decided to take my two best scratch designs (Hawk eye and Jast MC) and merge the two to create the Hawk MC. I posted a little about this project in the Jast MC thread, but I figure it needed a new thread.

I wanted to experiment with true thrust vectoring (pivoting motors) like Jetset44's SU-37 (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666686). The pivoting motors will control in pitch and roll. The yaw will be controlled through differential thrust. I wanted to have the motors far enough apart to have crazy flat spins like my Hawk Eye.

Got the plans printed and ready to begin the build next weekend (hopefully). For now here are a few pics of the original Hawk Eye and Jast MC prototypes and the final design of the Hawk MC (I might rename it... the more I say it the cheesier it sounds )

I'll post plans if the maiden is a success.
elmagnificado is online now Find More Posts by elmagnificado
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2014, 03:26 PM
All can fly...Launch stronger!
France, Centre, Romorantin-Lanthenay
Joined Oct 2013
769 Posts
Looks great
ttersu is offline Find More Posts by ttersu
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My builds
Old Apr 19, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
progress

Should have the body finished today and electronics in tomorrow. Hopefully a maiden tomorrow as well.

Forgot to take some pics before gluing on the fuse, but here's most of the parts in a dry fit. Made a few modifications while cutting out the parts for a little better strength in the tail section. We'll she how she holds up.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:18 AM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
So here she is. Ready for maiden tomorrow. Time for sleep.
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1397974590801.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 190.2 KB
Description:
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:15 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
that is hot , good luck with the maiden
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
Got her maidened and she flew a little more tail heavy than I anticipated. I didn't have enough room to slide the battery much more forward due to the canard servo. I also used an old receiver and lost signal during flight do she lawn darted into the ground. I rebuilt the nose last night, adjusted the canard servo location to allow more wiggle room for the battery and changed out the receiver.

I'll take her up again tonight hopefully.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
wow even with that long fuselage . it was still tail heavy. . well at least your going to try again . are there any plans available for this ship in the future I would love to make it into an EDF
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
Got her up again and she flew great! For 10 minutes. Forgot about my reverse servo programmed for the canard in high alpha mode and accidentally flipped it. Well, she dove right back into the ground and broke the c.f. rod running down the nose in 2 places. I've never broken a c.f. rod before, much less in two places! Luckily, my new nose actually came out pretty unscathed so I just straightened the rod by hand and glued it back in place. Now she's back in flying condition! Won't be as strong as before but, meh. I've got half a dozen other projects on the table play with.

I'll post plans and video in a few days when I get a chance.

Fyi. The flat spins are freakin' awesome!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:12 AM
Joined Oct 2010
1,707 Posts
fuuny you mention flat spins. I love to flat spin wings . me and a few club members have assassin wings for combat and I use flat spins at times to get away , although I must admit . I somethimes cant recover from the spin. .
Old Apr 26, 2014, 04:31 AM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
Yup. my first twin motor was my hawk eye. I posted on board video of a crazy fast flat spin ending in a crash.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:41 AM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
I've been tweaking the design of a V2 for my Hawk MC. I have 2 new slightly different versions I wanna try but not sure which one to build. The main improvements over the V1 are a larger wingspan for better wing loading and better slow flight characteristics. I'll post some Sketchup pics soon.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
sketchup pics

Here are a couple concept pics of the V2 and V3. They're very similar and will probably have similar flying characteristics, but the V3 has the motors just a bit further back for more VT control.
Old Dec 05, 2014, 11:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
211 Posts
Done with the V2! Had to add some sparkle board for some flare ;-) Should maiden her tomorrow.