SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
Suspended Account
M$ Security
Joined Jun 2010
728 Posts
Rave
Futaba T8J S-FHSS

This is the 8FG with S-FHSS system, that means your beloved 8FG FASST wont be upgradeable to use the new and "cheap" Futabas receivers.
As you know Futaba always want you buy a new radio they dont like too much to update your radio software for free.
It will be available after Nuremberg 2012 in my opinion it's a bit different and the software looks like the 10C one
Mikarro is offline Find More Posts by Mikarro
Last edited by Mikarro; Jan 19, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 07:40 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,324 Posts
Where do you come up with "new" 8FG. This new T8J looks more like an eventual replacement for the 7C price slot. No sliders, only one proportional knob and only 8 channels. More than a little step down from the 8FG.
Has someone from Futaba actually told you that the 8Fg won't get an S-FHSS update, or are you making an assumption based on seeing a new 8 channel model from Futaba
Thanks for the heads up, looks interesting.
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:55 AM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Hadsten
Joined Jul 2010
94 Posts
This is most likely a true 8 channel mid/entry level transmitter and not a replacement for the 14 channel 8FG. The upcoming telemetry system is FASST(EST) based and not S-FHSS based.

By the way I don't need an S-FHSS "upgrade" to my 8FG, as there are plenty of cheap 3rd party receivers for FASST. I have never understood the idea behind S-FHSS Futaba now really need to upgrade the 8FG to FASSTEST to regain the receiver sale.
Tomve is offline Find More Posts by Tomve
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:25 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,473 Posts
So, in this moment Futaba has two complete separate and not compatible RC lines ?!
It crazy and a big marketing mistake, imo !
The only interest about S-FHSS of 8FG futaba owners were the cheap receivers. With this move it is gone, and guess which is the real winner ?... Frsky, who already sold more than 150 FASST compatible receivers daily, and after this move I bet the figure will increase, having no hopes to use the S-FHSS receivers with FASST transmitters.
Good shot in the foot, Futaba, pun intended !
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Oct 14, 2011, 04:53 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
So, in this moment Futaba has two complete separate and not compatible RC lines ?!
Two? I count three: FASST, FASSTest, S-FHSS.

I don't understand that policy either, the marketingboss must be crazy.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:00 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
8FGS will be FHSS, S-FHSS, FASST 7Ch, FASST Mult I & II and FASSTest compatible.

the FHSS range of radios, T6J and T8J are entry level radio's not using the FASST DSSS/FHSS hybrid technology.

Yes Futaba will have two technology lines, 3 if count FASSTest as a separate technology.

AS they have done in the past where the T6ex and the T7C were only FASST 7Channel compatible and the 10C and higher were both 7Ch and FASST Multi compatible, Futabe has raised its technology offereing.

So:
T6J = FHSS and S-FHSS
T8J = FHSS and S-FHSS
T8FGS = FHSS/S-FHSS/FASST7ch/FASST multi I&II/FASSTest s-bus II compatible
T10c = FASST 7Ch andFASST Multi (likely to be dropped)
T12FG = See T8FGS
T12MZ = Likely to be dropped
T14MZ = Likely to be replaced by a more cost effective design
T18MZ = See T8FGS
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 14, 2011, 06:52 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
The point is that from the consumer's perspective it generates great confusion, places barriers to migration between Tx and adds cost for no benefit. The whole marketing strategy flies in the face of what users want and hands a significant advantage to those other brands that offer universal compatibility across Tx and Rx. Sure, some offer special features in some combinations, but generally all Tx work with all Rx for basic operation.

Who is even clear on the differences between FHSS and S-FHSS or FASST 7ch, FASST muilti-I and FASST multi-II ? I bet only a few Futaba representatives and the most ardent fans. Certainly the LHS and bulk of consumers are unlikely to know or keep it straight.

IMO Futaba are betting on brand loyalty, quality reputation and a baffle-em-with-bulls*** approach that is unlikley to serve them well.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Oct 14, 2011, 07:48 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
8FGS will be FHSS, S-FHSS, FASST 7Ch, FASST Mult I & II and FASSTest compatible.
This radio is not yet available, it will come out next year. This new radio will make all the existent T 8FG's look rather old. I don't know, if that is a wise decision from Futaba.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:01 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by udogigahertz View Post
This radio is not yet available, it will come out next year. This new radio will make all the existent T 8FG's look rather old. I don't know, if that is a wise decision from Futaba.

Udo
Actually, this radio has old software compared to the 8FG.

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Oct 14, 2011, 09:50 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
The point is that from the consumer's perspective it generates great confusion, places barriers to migration between Tx and adds cost for no benefit. The whole marketing strategy flies in the face of what users want and hands a significant advantage to those other brands that offer universal compatibility across Tx and Rx. Sure, some offer special features in some combinations, but generally all Tx work with all Rx for basic operation.

Who is even clear on the differences between FHSS and S-FHSS or FASST 7ch, FASST muilti-I and FASST multi-II ? I bet only a few Futaba representatives and the most ardent fans. Certainly the LHS and bulk of consumers are unlikely to know or keep it straight.

IMO Futaba are betting on brand loyalty, quality reputation and a baffle-em-with-bulls*** approach that is unlikley to serve them well.
really? BAsed on what?

The FHSS and S-FHSS systems are focussed at an entry level market where the trend is toward Rx-R and RTF planes. Thats a market that is very dependant on what their hobby shop owner tells. them/
they nuy a plane, fly it and then grow itred of it or crash oit and want another. they head down to the LHS and buy and airframe and compatible Rx.
No confusion there.

The more established RC hobbyist is where FASST has more established and bigger following. People are more willing to pay the premium over a FHSS Rx to fit into their large Scale or scratch built Warbird.

Yes there is confusion on forums right now because people pick up snippets and draw conclusions and then tell everyone the sky is falling.

FHSS and derivatives and FASST and derivatives are focussed at different markets.
The radios will differ drastically in capability, features, programmability and Rx sensitivity.
Will you need S-bus for a foamie....?
Will you want S-bus for a foamie....? Perhaps but can;t see that catching on if the servo's are more expensive than an entire foamie airframe.

Totally different markets
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:07 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,239 Posts
Hi,

The users that probably will pay for this is the first time buyer that may buy a 8J (or 6J) with it's FHSS system and later when they want some better or different receivers etc they discover they need to buy a new radio to be able to use FASST and FASTest accessories. As a user I would feel ripped off. No good.
I'm sure 6J and 8J are great radios but I do not understand why Futaba has to make it so difficult and expensive for the (new) users that hopefully will continue in this hobby.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:11 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Development on FASST is going to cease to exist. Its going to be either FASSTEST or S-FHSS.

Also that receiver pictured is a High Voltage, Dual diversity, 8 channel Sbus S-FHSS receiver, none of that screams "parkflyer foamie" or entry level.

Explain to me why FASST is better than S-FHSS ? S-FHSS is just as fast or faster than FASST, with spread spectrum and frequency hopping on dual diversity anteannas, I doubt it will get any more lockouts than FASST.

Futaba is shifting itself in two different directions FASSTEST (being the high end setup with 16+2 channels and telemetry) and S-FHSS (being good enough for even large helis if needed), and will make its high end radios compatible with S-FHSS.

Also:

Apparently people with 10+ year old Futaba radios will get S-FHSS compatibility before 8FG folks.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Last edited by pach; Oct 14, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:22 PM
Idiot Savant
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2002
237 Posts
I'm a modeler and Futaba user returning to the hobby after nearly a 6 yr hiatus and these guys have me so confused its not funny. I fly everything from small balsa electrics to giant scale gassers and would like to try a 2.4GHz module in my radio but there is so much instability in that technology I don't think I will. Or if I do its going to be a cheap Chinese system (FrSky, for instance) instead of what I'd really like, a Futaba setup. The Futaba components are just too damn expensive to have them become obsolete every couple years.
ptgarcia is offline Find More Posts by ptgarcia
Old Oct 14, 2011, 12:56 PM
Joined Feb 2008
70 Posts
I'm a Futaba fan and own 5 different Futaba FM/2.4 radios.

But what is happening here is just a marketing disaster. Too many offerings, overlapping offerings, non compatible offerings. Is this what happens when engineers run the marketing department ? Or are they trying to confuse the enemy ?? :P
funboat is offline Find More Posts by funboat
Old Oct 14, 2011, 01:55 PM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
467 Posts
Google translated from http://www.rcmania.hk/2011/10/16916 :

Quote:
Futaba introduced no remote control antenna 8J, T18MZ screen good press! (2011 Tokyo Model Show)

News NEWS

Chance Post by Tough Guy

The Tokyo Model Show, Futaba and JR users two really mustering the strength to other signs!

JR introduced DMSS two-way transmission army fight, lineup with XG6, XG8, XG11

This is a two-way transmission Futaba present only their own top T18MZ, while others still maintain a one-way transmission of 2.4G, 2.4G but has developed on the basis of several models, such as S-FHSS is a high-speed transmission type.

Futaba has always been to the advantage of cutting edge multi-functional, especially for the Super T8FG after the upgrade is Total Annihilation, a favorite of elementary ~ high-level players!

The exhibition at the Tokyo model is introduced all new models "8J", I remember in the beginning of Futaba published T6J it? Using a higher-speed S-FHSS, and 8J are also used S-FHSS, the transmission speed of the remote control from a 7ms delay literally raised to 6.8ms (estimated), it follows 6J and 8J most prominent feature of the antenna ~ ~ no !

Let's look at the photo, this group of photos is the brother of Jimmy Lai shoot in Japan!

Shizuoka Model Show in May, when, on the inside of the glass cabinet is T18MZ, this time on the inside of the cabinet is 8J, only to see - can not touch Ah!

We are not sure that being the lower right corner will circle the circle of blue, in the end is the same as the touch pad with 8FG, or just a direction button is currently unknown. However, if compared with the 8FG, more than three physical buttons, to see a + - keys should be used to adjust the data used.

I like the middle of the knob is only one, then two more about fine-tuning knob, which allows me to have many applications.

But the switch seems a little change, T8FG is in addition to two long switch is behind the two, the other all three sections, and 8J does not seem all three sections of switch Oh, because the photos are not enough, we do not predict.

The most notable are no friends - antenna design antenna you need it? In fact, I had removed the antenna Futaba (destruction), inside is a small antenna with receiver antennas, so is ok to be built directly into it!
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler