SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2010, 12:16 PM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
Discussion
High powered servo?

I had a project I wanted to run by you guys.

I have a camera on a rig with some castors and it moves in a track. I need the whole rig to move back and forth in this track, and I need a pretty high degree of precision as to the position. So I wanted to hook up a servo/stepper motor to a push rod and have it move the thing to a position depending on the computer input.

I'm comfortable with the setup/wiring, but I was wondering if it's feasible to get this much force out a servo/stepper.

Here's the numbers:
The track will be 6-12 inches long, and the rig needs to move to any position somewhere on the track.

The rig can be a little heavy, so I'm thinking about 10-15lbs of force are needed to push it back and forth.

I don't need really high speed, but if I could get 5-10 inches per second, that would be great.

I'd like to be precise about the position, say += 1/2 inch, which is why I thought of servos.

So is this doable or is it way too much torque/power for a servo/stepper motor? And if not, anyone know where I could get a motor like this for (relatively) cheap?

Much thanks
CrazyDocBrown is offline Find More Posts by CrazyDocBrown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:08 PM
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
Threaded worm drive should do you fine or maybe a linear actuator will do the job
Gualalasmooth is offline Find More Posts by Gualalasmooth