HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:11 PM
fly 1 day, repair the next 3
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Dec 2012
160 Posts
My mini ultra stick rolls like a mother on 50% control. Can't wait to be good enough to add the other 50% to the stick. Perhaps a full 125%? Lookout!
Myko is offline Find More Posts by Myko
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:26 AM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
I didn't get a chance to practice "Perfect" my rolls last weekend. To much AZ rain.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Need some help here; memory is foggy, but I'm sure that about a year ago at the club field I used to go to a guy had a radio with a button, switch on it labeled snap roll. He hit that button and the plane did a snap roll. Dave/zeezee
I have a World Engines Expert FM radio with a snap roll button. I tried using it a couple of times but it never really impressed me and I don't think it would be the solution to a perfect aileron roll. Like someone else pointed out it just flips certain servos to a preset. I think mine fed in full aileron and you could dial in the amount of elevator to help with the nose. But if I recall correctly it never did a very good job with my P-51. It just never looked smooth.

Since we are talking about aileron rolls and smooth, I used to fly at a local airport. We had an ultralight hangered there and had full permission to fly our rc planes. Our only rule was that when a real plane came in you landed and got out of the way. Anyway I was out flying one day and this older gentleman came up. Started asking me about my P-51. So I landed the other plane I was flying and told him I would take it up for a spin. I have a four stroke engine on it so while it doesn't sound just like a P-51 it does have a nice growl to it. I got it up, pulled in the retracts and made a couple of circles. Then I went out wide and came screaming down the runway about 10 feet off the ground and after I passed us pulled it into a nice slow victory roll and then peeled it off the to right for another circle. I look over and the old guy is standing there crying. I didn't say anything but kept flying for a few more minutes and then landed. He told me thanks for flying it and went on his way. I am not sure what his connection with the P-51 was but that slow roll really hit home.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:20 AM
CAP smasher
GA,USA
Joined Jul 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Since we are talking about aileron rolls and smooth, I used to fly at a local airport. We had an ultralight hangered there and had full permission to fly our rc planes. Our only rule was that when a real plane came in you landed and got out of the way. Anyway I was out flying one day and this older gentleman came up. Started asking me about my P-51. So I landed the other plane I was flying and told him I would take it up for a spin. I have a four stroke engine on it so while it doesn't sound just like a P-51 it does have a nice growl to it. I got it up, pulled in the retracts and made a couple of circles. Then I went out wide and came screaming down the runway about 10 feet off the ground and after I passed us pulled it into a nice slow victory roll and then peeled it off the to right for another circle. I look over and the old guy is standing there crying. I didn't say anything but kept flying for a few more minutes and then landed. He told me thanks for flying it and went on his way. I am not sure what his connection with the P-51 was but that slow roll really hit home.
I would sure like to know the background to that story myself!
compressor man is offline Find More Posts by compressor man
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
357 Posts
It was about 20 years ago and he left not soon after I landed. I don't think he realized I even saw him in tears and I didn't want to embarass him by bringing it up. Having a Grandfather who served in WWII I was aware that some people were not really comfortable talking about it.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton