HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
Norvel, NV AMD .049 CL engines your experience?

These look pretty good, and have a good reputation. But how do the stack up to a TD or a Killer Bee?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:39 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
They are better, IMO.
OkiThumper is offline Find More Posts by OkiThumper
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
6,379 Posts
Norvel's are fine engines. They run, no fuss and out class Cox engines.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Norvel's are fine engines. They run, no fuss and out class Cox engines.
In most cases that is true, but if you go .049 for .049 I think you may find that the TD leads on large props.

Many tend to compare the TD .049 to the Norvel .061's, and that is not a fair comparison.

OTOH, Norvels have mufflers and throttles.

I like both.

George
gcb is offline Find More Posts by gcb
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:02 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
These look pretty good, and have a good reputation. But how do the stack up to a TD or a Killer Bee?
As stated above Cox engines date from our childhood and are loved as such.
Norvels are finely made engines, in the style/design of a decent large Glo engine.
Easier starting , faster and smoother than any most any TD.. right out of the box.
The AMD version Norvel is seriously faster than any TD could ever be.. a bit harder to source and a bit higher priced though than the 'regular' Norvels.

You will not be dissapointed is the quick answer. .
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:08 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcb View Post
In most cases that is true, but if you go .049 for .049 I think you may find that the TD leads on large props.
Just curious, but will the Tee Dee .049 turn a 7x3 prop? That might put it at an advantage with a larger airplane, where pulling power in climb is more important than speed.

Quote:
Many tend to compare the TD .049 to the Norvel .061's, and that is not a fair comparison.
.061 is 24% more displacement. I would expect a similar corresponding increase in horsepower and torque.

Quote:
OTOH, Norvels have mufflers and throttles.
They do have versions with no throttles.

NVEngines.com Airplane Engines

Quote:
I like both.
I compare engines to tools, there is proper place for all of them, depended on model size, weight, balance, power needed, etc. I especially like the reedies because they are easy to start, provide ample power for certain sport models, and some models just don't look right without them.
Last edited by OkiThumper; Oct 01, 2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Deleted stray signature
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:40 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,304 Posts
and some models just don't look right without them.

George has got it right, there!
A Dumas Lil Tiger with a Tee Dee with a Cox Gray 5x3 is pure nostalgic art.
My first Tee Dee was an 051 with the red case and a red plastic tank mount, it went on my red Lil Wizard. Perfection.
Conversely, a Consolidated Stuka with an OK Cub .074 with a Froom spinner and Grish Plasticote prop can really ease one's visual pain, too! a
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:59 AM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2008
1,054 Posts
I had a plane with NORVEL and it is a great litle motor (I won the first 1/2A NATS with a .049 Norvel). Cut the prop doun if it does not run good. They like smaller diameters and high revs. Also use 1/2A fuel.
Traian is offline Find More Posts by Traian
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:10 AM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
Inasmuch as the Tee Dees, AP's, ASP's and Norvels are great engines, I like the reedies. They like larger props (6x3, 6x4) and lower revs.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:01 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,262 Posts
I think a Medallion might swing a bigger prop than most others too, for people that don't like the sweeter music. I think the Big Mig is made for lower revs than the real Norvels, but not as slow as the reedies and Medallion.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Feb 2006
433 Posts
I remember when Bill Winter was still alive, he was advocating that the manufacturers continue to make legacy baffle piston engines, because they were capable of spinning larger diameter propellers and were more fuel efficient than the Schneurles. He wondered why they didn't consider them as "High Torque Engines".
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:20 PM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
...I think the Big Mig is made for lower revs than the real Norvels, but not as slow as the reedies and Medallion.
Real Norvels?

NORVEL is an acronym for Northern Velocity. They imported both Big Mig and AME engines. There was another AME for combat called Zeus that was not handled by NORVEL AFAIK.

George
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiThumper View Post
Inasmuch as the Tee Dees, AP's, ASP's and Norvels are great engines, I like the reedies. They like larger props (6x3, 6x4) and lower revs.
Dang Thump! Just when I figure a Norvel is my ticket, you post something like that! Must be that a TD or a Norvel or a hot rod reedie would be a great choice for a fine flying, light Baby Flite Streak.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:27 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,262 Posts
I am keeping away from the reedies lately. I just have a couple of planes that would be overpowered with a TD or Norvel that I sometimes use. For the 2nd previous post- I have a Stels .049 that I got before the AME and Norvel stuff came out. It looks an awful lot like a Norvel except for the split rear exh. and 3 hold down bolts. I have suspicions that it may have been made in the same factory. I always thought the Zeuss was a 10 cc motor made in Russia (or the former Russia)
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:39 AM
gcb
Joined Sep 2008
134 Posts
I believe you are correct. Several engines of that era look quite similar. Here is the AME Zeus. It uses a standard plug, has no muffler, uses a fine needle, and has an .049 displacement:

George