Old Jul 12, 2014, 08:34 PM
The Shetland Flyer
United Kingdom, Scotland, Lerwick
Joined Jun 2008
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Sorry did not get that far on the pilot yet
Anyone have a suggestion on best brand of battery ?
I have used the Turnegy and Turnegy Nano Tech but the reviews for the Nano Tech size battery needed for this size plane were not favorable on Hobby Kings site
I use 5000mAh Nano's and they fit perfectly
RoryG is offline Find More Posts by RoryG
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2014, 09:31 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
great and thanks , are you happy with the quality of the batterys ?
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:50 PM
United States, AZ, Cave Creek
Joined Jul 2012
364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankan View Post
That is a nice Mustang. 360 kv engine for speed?
No, still the 300. Might have to upgrade eventually.
Mustang Racer 9 is offline Find More Posts by Mustang Racer 9
Old Yesterday, 03:30 AM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
great and thanks , are you happy with the quality of the batterys ?
I've had no issues with them so far. I have five altogether, two 6S 5000mAh for the P-51, two 4S 3300 65/130C for my Vampire EDF, and a 4S 2650 35/70C for my Diamond 2500.

All the cell voltages are pretty close to one another but I always balance charge at 1C or below - I've heard the standard nanos don't like high charge rates. They also come fitted with 4mm bullets which I use on all my aircraft, saves a wee bit of soldering!

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,758 Posts
Thanks Rory,
I have great experience with all the Turnegy and NanoTech but was just making sure because of some of the post on HK , I really appreciate the feedback .
I just tried for the first time a Pulse 3s11.1 65C 2250 battery for an old 64mm twin A10 and all I can is wow , what a power shot and the battery was only $38. But when you jump to the size we need for the 1700 planes the cost skyrockets !!
Thanks again for you expertise
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,609 Posts
Turnigy batts are ok, but every nanotech I've ever seen is puffed. Some of them because they were treated like garbage, but many were treated well and still puffed.

RoryG - Charging at 1C or below is crazy slow and would take hours. Most lipos nowadays are designed to be charged at a minimum of 2C or more. I charge all my batteries at a minimum of 3C. They never even get warm afterwards and none of mine have ever puffed. Crashes not counted Safety first of course, but just something to think about
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Last edited by dambit; Yesterday at 10:12 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,299 Posts
vampire upgrade - again

My Sea Vixen flying wing may be may be dead but the Dr Mad 10 bladed EDF is not!

So I pulled out the the last EDF from my VAMPIREand in went the Dr Mad as far forward as possible beacuse is a lot heavier. My Vampire has had, stock, Wicked, Ex-V-70 Zephyr and ex-FA-18 70mm EDFs in it so far. Now it is "Mad"

A 4S Turnigy 3300 65C pack in the front of the nose did the trick and CG as was before the latest surgery. Now lets see if she likes them apples. Hope to keep these wings on!!!

Test flight report - The take-off run was slower and longer than I thought that the extra weight was most likely the culprit. (also probably needs more air going in). Once airborne she was a little sluggish until the sorta-ram-effect kicked in and the 10 blades got really going.

Whoosh! is the word! Great sound - no whine! Nice big consecutive loops from level flight etc. Usual rolsl etc. Nice and fast on the speed passes. Got to 4 minutes and noticed a slightly higher throttle position was needed for same speed.

Chopped the power and proceeded to burn off some height. The landing had (by the laws of physics) to be a little faster (the extra weight again). All was good. Will add a little nose weight to improve the "lock". otherwise pretty happy morning with my Mad-Vampire....

Eric.
Eric Henderson is offline Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
The Shetland Flyer
Joined Jun 2008
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Turnigy batts are ok, but every nanotech I've ever seen is puffed. Some of them because they were treated like garbage, but many were treated well and still puffed.

RoryG - Charging at 1C or below is crazy slow and would take hours. Most lipos nowadays are designed to be charged at a minimum of 2C or more. I charge all my batteries at a minimum of 3C. They never even get warm afterwards and none of mine have ever puffed. Crashes not counted Safety first of course, but just something to think about
It's just something I've always done, and even charge new LiPos for the first time at 0.8C! I've got a pair of 4S 6000mAh 30/60C that I run as 8S for my Cub; I've had them since 2009 and they're still going strong, but they've never been charged at more than 6A.

My 6S 5000 nano's for the P-51 only take an hour or so to charge, less if they're at storage voltage, so I charge them first thing before heading out flying. I also have two 4000mAh so the four batteries gives me more than enough flying time for one aircraft!

Never had an issue with nanos puffing, but never charged at more than 1C - therein could lie the answer

Cheers,

Rory
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryG View Post
Never had an issue with nanos puffing, but never charged at more than 1C - therein could lie the answer

Cheers,

Rory
I don't actually own any nano's, but many of the guys at my field do and they also slow charge their batteries. I've seen many of them puff after their first flight. I've had the same experience with fullymax batteries too. They still work fine, but are all puffed.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old Today, 06:58 AM
I can fix it.
Cochranton, Pa.
Joined Nov 2005
1,318 Posts
I have been really impressed with the Admiral line from Motion RC. Though I haven't tried one this large yet.
nageotte is online now Find More Posts by nageotte