HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:54 PM
dover kent
Joined Oct 2010
11 Posts
Question
12v source for LiPo 1-3 CELL 250ma-2AMP CHARGER (12V) what do i use as 12v source

hi i have just bought LiPo 1-3 CELL 250ma-2AMP CHARGER (12V)

http://www.brchobbies.co.uk/product_..._BRC%20001.jpg

being new to rc equipment i thought it would come with a plug on it but it has bannana conx with croc clips what do i connect to to get the 12v at home
i thought of using an atx pc power pack off the 12v rail but not too sure if this is ok

or is there some type of plug adapter that i havnt seen yet

any help would be great thank you
neildakill is offline Find More Posts by neildakill
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:02 PM
Extreme Flight Tech Support
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2005
811 Posts
it is very common to convert an ATX power supply.... That is what I use....

Or just use a car battery or a deep cycle battery....
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
dover kent
Joined Oct 2010
11 Posts
thanks for quick reply is there anything i should be aware of before using a pc power pack saftey wise
Old Oct 19, 2010, 01:33 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
827 Posts
You can get a 5Amp 12V power supply for laptop computer, LCD monitor, etc. on Ebay for $10 shipped, from the US no less. That's what many people use for chargers.

You might just search on a common charger name like "imax b6 power supply" and you'll find a ton. 12V is 12V and a 5Amp supply is fine for a 2Amp charger and will allow you to use a bigger charger in the future.
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:20 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I have 4 - 12v 3 amp power supplies with posts that can either be clipped to or plugged into with banana jacks. I don't use them so I would be willing to sell one or all. They were meant to power a sound system in an office. They are not light weight so I am not sure what shipping would cost but if you are interested PM me and we can find out. Maybe $15 + shipping.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:41 PM
dover kent
Joined Oct 2010
11 Posts
thank you for the offer but as i am in the uk i dont think shipping would be practical i am very used to building pcs so i really dont mind converting a power pack thank you for the help and advice

My soul is in the sky. ~William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:59 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
sorry - I saw Dover I was thinking Delaware.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Oct 19, 2010, 04:37 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildakill View Post
thanks for quick reply is there anything i should be aware of before using a pc power pack saftey wise
PC power supplies are not designed to be bench top supplies. Thus they are not intended to have the same barrier protection to prevent accidental connection of screwdrivers, bits of wire etc to live mains.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:38 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
PC power supplies are not designed to be bench top supplies. Thus they are not intended to have the same barrier protection to prevent accidental connection of screwdrivers, bits of wire etc to live mains.
Neither are Toasters but the majority of us survive the morning bread burning ritual. If a person is pre-disposed to self destruct they will probably achieve their destiny one way or another.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)