HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:02 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,345 Posts
Johnfly,

I have never used the Data Recorder, just the elogger.

It is my understanding that you have to use one or the other.

concerning the amperage draw through the servos, I really don't think it is an issue, but you better confirm that through an email to Bilpa because I could be wrong.

He is the very first post in this thread, and you can email him from his blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfly1234 View Post
Ok..... I do not know how the osd can plug into the elogger and the data recorder!!!! Please clarify. and not by showing me a picture of a bunch of components!
1. My servos can draw up to 4 amps.... if we start at the reciever the ail, elev,and throttle all connect to the osd. Then from the osd to the perspective servos. If the servo draws 4 amps of current will the osd handle that kind of current ????? realize that the ail. and elev. can draw a total of 4+4 = 8amps !!! The throttle servo i am not worried about. Low current...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:12 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thint1 View Post
Hi,
here are my settings. try them - if they donīt work also, i suspect a problem with windows. do you have another pc to test?

cu Thomas

Ok, so I went in to my neighbour borrowing his laptop as his is rather newer then mine. His is running windows 7 and mine, wich is an old IBM T40 with the metal case (I told you it is old ...) runs XP. I reinstalle the ET 10.43 and at the same time installed ET 10.43 on his. Tried mine and same result, grey box. Well, tried my neighbour's and voila !!! So thats how a functioning non grey box works !!!

So Santa, if you read this , just a hint .....

Thansk Thomas and others for your help.
tritan
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:08 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,345 Posts
---Hmmm---

Thomas,

I'm glad you are helping with some of these issues. I enjoy the challenge, but sometimes I feel like my head is going to explode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Ok, so I went in to my neighbour borrowing his laptop as his is rather newer then mine. His is running windows 7 and mine, wich is an old IBM T40 with the metal case (I told you it is old ...) runs XP. I reinstalle the ET 10.43 and at the same time installed ET 10.43 on his. Tried mine and same result, grey box. Well, tried my neighbour's and voila !!! So thats how a functioning non grey box works !!!

tritan
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:24 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Ok..... I do not know how the osd can plug into the elogger and the data recorder!!!! Please clarify. and not by showing me a picture of a bunch of components!
1. My servos can draw up to 4 amps.... if we start at the reciever the ail, elev,and throttle all connect to the osd. Then from the osd to the perspective servos. If the servo draws 4 amps of current will the osd handle that kind of current ????? realize that the ail. and elev. can draw a total of 4+4 = 8amps !!! The throttle servo i am not worried about. Low current...
Hi,
a solution how to power high-amp servos: connect a rx-power supply to the osd (to power the osd only) connect from osd to servo only the impulse and power the servos directly

sorry, but those connections are basicīs for those pilots with high amp servos ... i hope that you donīt feed such servos on your other planes from the receiver

cu Thomas
Thint1 is online now Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:44 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post

tritan
Hi tritan,

o.k. fine ... now we worked out that the trouble-maker is somewhere in your pc.
windows xp is fine, but there may be an issue with "microsoft framework" ... this addon is mostly used for programming graphical interfaces (like the pull down menus).
try to update microsoft frameworks, itīs free on the microsoft pages.

otherwise write a letter to santa
value tip ... due win8 the tablets have a great boom .... and the prices of the netbooks (10") are going down.
i use a "acer aspire one d720" for live telemetry on the field and prog settings on the workbench. bright display ~230cd, 1,6mHz ... fast enough for google earth live, live video with grabber also ok. (but only viewing, no grabbing). 8h runtime on win7. price fall below 200eur in the last weeks.

cu Thomas
Thint1 is online now Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:56 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Hey guys, I live in a cold climate (NH). My "basestation" has couple of RX's and an Eagle Eyes and a small LCD TV. I am trying to decide whether I should bring it in between flying sessions or leave it in my barn where I fly from. The downside of bring it in is possible condensation that would occur when the cold equipment contacts the warm moist air (and also it is more work to move it all the time).

Is there any issue with leaving the electronics out in the cold when not in use, and then powering them up in a cold state? Or would it just be better to bring them in.
u2builder is online now Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:39 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,345 Posts
So you're saying, run the signal (white) wire only through the OSD.

It makes sense.

Quote:
Hi,
a solution how to power high-amp servos: connect a rx-power supply to the osd (to power the osd only) connect from osd to servo only the impulse and power the servos directly

sorry, but those connections are basicīs for those pilots with high amp servos ... i hope that you donīt feed such servos on your other planes from the receiver

cu Thomas
Old Dec 08, 2012, 12:48 PM
United States, KS, Arkansas City
Joined Oct 2012
112 Posts
signal wire only makes sense.... I am not worried about the reciever as it is capable of handling up to 30 amps total. Like i stated my concern was the osd, logger, and in general how this stuff all goes togethor... I am making headway but it is difficult to understand.
Thanks for the inputs. and have a merry christmas.
johnfly1234 is offline Find More Posts by johnfly1234
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:09 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,345 Posts
John,

If you do not pull power from your receiver d/t high voltage, then you will want to be careful , and not supply any of the higher voltage from the receiver.

Then you will have to supply 5 - 5.5V to the OSD from another source, like a BEC.

You could combine the external 5V (+) & (-) with the Throttle out pins of the OSD.

Quote:
signal wire only makes sense.... I am not worried about the reciever as it is capable of handling up to 30 amps total. Like i stated my concern was the osd, logger, and in general how this stuff all goes togethor... I am making headway but it is difficult to understand.
Thanks for the inputs. and have a merry christmas.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Hi tritan,

windows xp is fine, but there may be an issue with "microsoft framework" ... this addon is mostly used for programming graphical interfaces (like the pull down menus).

value tip ... due win8 the tablets have a great boom .... and the prices of the netbooks (10") are going down.
i use a "acer aspire one d720" for live telemetry on the field and prog settings on the workbench. bright display ~230cd, 1,6mHz ... fast enough for google earth live, live video with grabber also ok. (but only viewing, no grabbing). 8h runtime on win7. price fall below 200eur in the last weeks.

cu Thomas
I will go for a new laptop - this one i very old and really slow.
Thanks for your help,
tritan
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Oct 2012
112 Posts
As far as voltage to the fdr i think thats fine. link to site
http://www.eagletreesystems.com/Revi...gullreview.pdf
here's the specs for the flight data recorder:
SPECIFICATIONS
EAGLE TREE FLIGHT DATA RECORDER
OPERATIONAL VOLTAGE: 4.35 to 7 volts
CURRENT DRAW: < 35mA @ 4.8 volts
SYSTEM WEIGHT: 1.5 oz. (approx.;
includes recorder, Y-cables, rpm and temp
sensors and Pitot tube)
SIZE: 1.97x1.38x0.67 in.
ALTITUDE: 0 to approx. 32,000 ft.
TEMPERATURE: dual inputs, 0 deg. F to
424 deg. F
RPM RANGE: 100 to 40,000+ (approx.)
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Oct 2012
112 Posts
My bad!!!!!!!! yes the osd is rated for 6v max. the flight data recorder on the other hand can handle up to 7v max...............Awesome !!!!!!!!!! Yes another reg in the mix.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
112 Posts
This is from this page: https://www.eagletreesystems.com/sup...als/osdpro.pdf
statment 1.=If the battery you are
connecting to the eLogger V4 is greater than 4S (about 16V), the throttle monitoring Y cable included with the Logger V4 needs to be connected
between the “Throttle” input of the eLogger V4 and any receiver channel (or a 5V to 6V BEC), to provide backup power to the eLogger V4. Note: the
voltage supplied to the throttle Y cable cannot be greater than 6V!

statment 2.= IMPORTANT: never connect receiver channels to the OSD Pro if your Receiver is powered
by more than 15 volts!

So........ is it 6volts or 15............ Seems like the more i read the more confused i get...
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,345 Posts
It is under 6V to the elogger, and now that I have processed it, I think that you want to stay under 6V on OSD also.

I remember bumping my osd power supply up to 6V, and things didn't work correctly, so when I brought it back down to 5.5V, then everything worked correctly.

Quote:
This is from this page: https://www.eagletreesystems.com/sup...als/osdpro.pdf
statment 1.=If the battery you are
connecting to the eLogger V4 is greater than 4S (about 16V), the throttle monitoring Y cable included with the Logger V4 needs to be connected
between the “Throttle” input of the eLogger V4 and any receiver channel (or a 5V to 6V BEC), to provide backup power to the eLogger V4. Note: the
voltage supplied to the throttle Y cable cannot be greater than 6V!

statment 2.= IMPORTANT: never connect receiver channels to the OSD Pro if your Receiver is powered
by more than 15 volts!

So........ is it 6volts or 15............ Seems like the more i read the more confused i get...
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Hi tritan,

cu Thomas
UPDATE:

it worked fine with the neighbourgs laptop but I was a bit puzzled why it didnt worked on my old laptop. Well, I asked my neighbour again and as he is employed at a well known software company he talked to some of his friends at work and found that I probably just had to change the fonts from large to normal in the control panel - thats it! So now I again can use my IBM oldie from the mid 90's again with ET software OSD!