Jan 08, 2011, 01:58 AM
Thread OP
Help!

SKY705 issues

Just received a Wasp V3 7CH helicopter and SKY705 controller from Skyartec. I can control the helicopter with the transmitter however it is not so easy to get my computer to register its movements. I followed their (confusing) instructions for installing the SKY705 V5.1 and FMS software (really V2.1 but it shows V5.1 on the windows start bar). I am running Windows XP Service Pack 3 with E8400 CPU. Firstly, I just want to be able to practice with FMS but the transmitter is definitely not just "Connect and Go". Connecting the USB cable results in the successful connection sound in Windows. Do I need to turn the transmitter on or leave it off with just one red light on the voltage indicator? Windows registers a "VK-U" under game controllers but no movement in the axes or buttons at all. Under device manager it shows as a human interface device "HID-compliant game controller". The patch provided with FMS on the CD "CH341SER.EXE" is confusing to say the least. I placed it in the same directory (by the way this needs to be a C: drive) and installed the files to "C:\WCH.CN". I ran setup.exe and it did the same thing as the "CH341SER.EXE" file, ie. a popup box states "driver install success. Please plug the device" (with messed up characters after it because I don't have a chinese font). I tried manually installing CH341SER.INF (right click then install) but the transmitter is still not able to be calibrated or recognised by FMS.

The SKY705 V2.1 software is also faulty. After opening an ini file under default settings>mode2 the status bar does not indicate "Open to ini file" as it shows in the pdf instructions. Once I click "Write" it does not result in "config files has been saved to radio control", just "Write complete".

So the main issue is not being able to practice in FMS. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I received a response on the Skyartec message board website however they stated: "You must have installed it incorrectly, please download these instructions". These are the same instructions that were supplied on the CD that came with the helicopter.

I am very happy with the helicopter (although the tail rotor belt needed tightening before I could fly it) but the software/hardware compatibility issue is frustrating to say the least.
Last edited by jkaxford; Jan 09, 2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Not a discussion. I need HELP!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 11, 2011, 05:27 PM

me two

i have bought two 182 planes, i thought the wire was broken on the first one.
i have installed the program on my mums laptop and it works fine but at home on my laptop i cannot get it to work, and i just want to practice...
the sky705 v5.1 works, and says linked? i click on the game button, but in fms 2.0,8.3 not working properly, i have done the usb patch thing, when i goto the control,joystick, ressources, it has all the blue lines full, if i unplug it they go away. mapping i have them all half way. but nothing moves. if i uplug the remote they go away, i have windows xp sp3 32 bit computer.. spent hours trying........
and it works at my mums,, so i know the program works, it must be a windows thing.. any help would be fantastic.....thanks
Jan 12, 2011, 03:00 AM

fms

i uninstalled and re instaled.
now i have half movement

i can go down but not up, left but not right, roll left but not right

any advice
?
Jan 13, 2011, 04:04 AM
I've also just received a Wasp V3 7CH helicopter and SKY705 controller and I'm also experiencing the same problem. After installing and rebooting I managed to get it to work on a laptop briefly but it has since stopped working. I also have a desktop and couldn't get it to work at all. Both are running Windows XP service pack 3

I can update the transmitter config using the setup program and it works fine controlling the helicopter but being a newby I wanted to get some practice up before flying the real thing
Jan 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsj100
I've also just received a Wasp V3 7CH helicopter and SKY705 controller and I'm also experiencing the same problem. After installing and rebooting I managed to get it to work on a laptop briefly but it has since stopped working. I also have a desktop and couldn't get it to work at all. Both are running Windows XP service pack 3

I can update the transmitter config using the setup program and it works fine controlling the helicopter but being a newby I wanted to get some practice up before flying the real thing
I understand your pain. As THE Authorized Skyartec Distributor in the USA we deal with these changes and updates everyday. Here is the bottom line. The firmware in the Sky705 was updated from the Sky703 so you would not have to install special software drivers to get it to work. The Sky705 will work with most any version of windows.
FMS is a freeware software flight sim not produced by Skyartec. You can download it for free on the Internet. Any work or updates to FMS stopped years ago.
The new version of the Skyartec RC Program is designed to allow you to change the configuration of the transmitter so you can use it for other planes and helicopters (BTW it is configured exactly perfect at the factory) ANY changes are at your own risk.
To use FMS or any other game or flight sim program.
1) install the flight sim or game; Pluge cable from the TX into the computer and with batteries installed in TX Turn ON the transmitter.
2) open the skyartec program and click OPEN G; this opens the controller to allow it to work with the Sim or as a controller for the Game - You can check other posts I have put in this forum about the methods to configure the FMS controller for use with the Transmitter. (all the same; just different channels for each control.
3) Don't expect to learn to fly a RC helicopter from the very primative toy like Flight sim call FMS
4) Acquire a flight sim program like Real Flight or Phoenix or Clearview or HeliSim or one of the other commerically available Flight simulators out there
5) we also recommend getting a separate flight simulator control box that looks like the transmitter but without any batteries or circuits. We have several flight simulator offerings as I am sure the dealer you bought this from does also.

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
Jan 13, 2011, 05:58 PM
thanks Max! I'll try your suggestion ASAP but it makes sense as to why I could get it to work briefly as I was also using the Skyartec RC program at the same time. One other query that I hope you can answer. Do you know the best method of charging the TX ? can it left to charge overnight ? I've had a look through all the doco and can't find any information.
Jan 13, 2011, 10:06 PM
Max

I am a newbie with a SKY 703 tx. Will the new software for the 705 work with the 703?
Jan 14, 2011, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsj100
thanks Max! I'll try your suggestion ASAP but it makes sense as to why I could get it to work briefly as I was also using the Skyartec RC program at the same time. One other query that I hope you can answer. Do you know the best method of charging the TX ? can it left to charge overnight ? I've had a look through all the doco and can't find any information.
ahhh... Charging Transmitter batteries??
I use alkaline duracell and they last for a long time. You cannot charge alkaline. If you are using rechargeable batteries then follow specs that came with them. This version of transmitter is not designed like the spectrum or futuba to allow charge of batteries inplace

Max
Jan 14, 2011, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomism
Max

I am a newbie with a SKY 703 tx. Will the new software for the 705 work with the 703?
We haven't tried that ourselves. I would recommend that you will find that the proper version of the software should be used with the hardware it was designed for. You can experiment if you like and let us know the results.
Max
Last edited by Parkflying; Jan 14, 2011 at 02:43 AM.
Jan 19, 2011, 03:10 AM
Thread OP
Hi Max,

Thank you Thank you Thank you. Step 2 and 4 of your instructions did the trick. I'm computer savvy but the Chinese instructions are confusing because of the broken English. Maybe the button should be called "Enable G"? I thought it was supposed to open FMS etc! They need to hire a fluent English speaking software/documentation developer for the western world. Or is this not fiscally viable or worth it?

HeliSim works great however FMS doesn't for some reason. The blue bars in the calibration window are changing now however they are not stable. I won't use it anyway because HeliSim is great. I think the crash sounds are funny.

@adamsj100 post regarding charging transmitter batteries: Max, the SKY705 adamsj100 and I received have an AC/DC adapter socket (charging jack in the instructions) for an adapter that fits the skyartec charger for the Li-Poly rechargeable battery in the helicopter. He is right that there are no instructions for the use of this. The instructions don't have the usual warnings about inserting alkaline batteries while using the charging jack. I hope no one is silly enough to do this.

I have one more issue to enquire about. The instructions surrounding the SKY705 refer to a "High Frequency Atis" clipped in the back of the transmitter. Am I missing something because the one in my transmitter is a hollow plastic box. I can see where a five-pin connector would connect something up into this Atis box but nothing is there. Seems gimmicky to me. By the way... what does Atis stand for? Is this a plane thing that helicopters don't require?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Last edited by jkaxford; Jan 19, 2011 at 03:37 AM.
Jan 25, 2011, 05:25 AM

Sky705 v2.1 problem

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Cessna 182 yesterday.. I'm a bit disappointed.. First of all, I need to install windows to run any kind of sim.... I knew that.. Second. It still doesn't work.. I open the software that came with it and when I try to do Max's instuctions it just says write failed on the bottom, but the connection status is Linked.. Now what? I can't get through this point..

Thanks for helping
Jan 26, 2011, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaxford
Hi Max,

Thank you Thank you Thank you. Step 2 and 4 of your instructions did the trick. I'm computer savvy but the Chinese instructions are confusing because of the broken English. Maybe the button should be called "Enable G"? I thought it was supposed to open FMS etc! They need to hire a fluent English speaking software/documentation developer for the western world. Or is this not fiscally viable or worth it?

HeliSim works great however FMS doesn't for some reason. The blue bars in the calibration window are changing now however they are not stable. I won't use it anyway because HeliSim is great. I think the crash sounds are funny.

@adamsj100 post regarding charging transmitter batteries: Max, the SKY705 adamsj100 and I received have an AC/DC adapter socket (charging jack in the instructions) for an adapter that fits the skyartec charger for the Li-Poly rechargeable battery in the helicopter. He is right that there are no instructions for the use of this. The instructions don't have the usual warnings about inserting alkaline batteries while using the charging jack. I hope no one is silly enough to do this.

I have one more issue to enquire about. The instructions surrounding the SKY705 refer to a "High Frequency Atis" clipped in the back of the transmitter. Am I missing something because the one in my transmitter is a hollow plastic box. I can see where a five-pin connector would connect something up into this Atis box but nothing is there. Seems gimmicky to me. By the way... what does Atis stand for? Is this a plane thing that helicopters don't require?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
I have no idea what Atis stands for; something from Chinese translation that got lost? However this is to be ignored, as early in developement a replacement unit could be plugged in to change freg and channels etc

The lipo wall unit is NOT meant to charge the Tx batteries; no is no provision in this model for charging Ni-Cd or NiMH batteries; experiment at your own risk
Additionall the Tx case is the same outer case used with the 72Mhz version that does have the RF unit and crystal set in that unit. For the 2.4GHz version this is simply a dummy unit

Max
Jan 26, 2011, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matenza
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a Cessna 182 yesterday.. I'm a bit disappointed.. First of all, I need to install windows to run any kind of sim.... I knew that.. Second. It still doesn't work.. I open the software that came with it and when I try to do Max's instuctions it just says write failed on the bottom, but the connection status is Linked.. Now what? I can't get through this point..

Thanks for helping
Failed to write is a GREAT thing. First of all the Tx came programmed from the factory for the Cessna; changing (writing) is done to change the settings for the Tx to be used with various helicopters and other models like the SkyFun; the software will not "write" to the Tx firmware inside unless the retract switch is DOWN: Experiment at your own risk

To use the sim click the open G button; this opens the joystick channel on the cable

Misunderstanding the Chinese instructions is common when not dealing with a Authorized Factory Distributor that either has great Product Support like we do or takes the time to bench test products like this before shipping or takes the time to create additional upgraded software or instructions that their customers can understand.....

Hope that helps

Max
Jan 26, 2011, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by matenza
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for helping
Please update your profile with your country location so other members of our Vendor Forum can get an idea of what part of the world you are in

Max
Feb 01, 2011, 02:13 AM
i know this wa covered else where but i can't find it, so i'll ask now.

When using my controller in heli-sim (the only sim i've used),
if i push the vertical sticks to the extreme top or bottom they reposition themselves at the opposite end of the scale....... that doesn't come across very clear.
if i put the throttle to about 90% it is fine, but when i put the throttle to 100% it goes to 0-5% and the heli slams down.
When i try to pith backward 90% it is ok, but when i pitch 100% backward the heli goes to 90-100% forwards and pitches into the ground instead of clearing it.
This is pretty frustrating. Is it possible that this is an error in the controller and may have caused some of my crashes, or is that just a fantasy and is there only something actually wrong with the sim/translation.

edit.
It does it in FMS as well.

Another thing i noticed is: where the blade pitch and throttle should be combined on the left vertical stick (mode 2), there appears to be two channels allocated to the left horizontal stick instead (channel 5-6).
i'm pretty sure the Wasp v4 i have works on these lines, but the sim doesn't read it like that.

So with a bit more practice i've gotten used to that "setting" but i will change it when i can, because i still crash because of it, i was never meant to do 3D.
Last edited by colinwill78; Feb 01, 2011 at 07:02 AM. Reason: new observations

Quick Reply