Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
ELECTRIC R/C
Canada, ON, Woodstock
Joined Feb 2006
364 Posts
Alert
JST-2P connector NOT wired for LIPO

I just got some JST-2P connector sets in from ROBOTHOME off EBAY and soldered on to an ESC. Went to test it and Burned Fingers, Burned part of model, melted inuslation off wires, and FREID ESC.

I have sent ROBOTHOME a warning to post. Other JST-2P I have seem to be OK.

DANGER......DO NOT USE WITH LIPO BATTERY.......WIRED BACKWARDS
This JST-2P is not wired in the standard congiceration for ESC to LIPO connection. RED and BLACK wires are REVERSED to standard LIPO.

Please post this with item to prevent FIRE or Personal Injury.
Wires Melted, Burned Fingers, Burned through part of model......Fried 10 Amp ESC.
Jsutherland8 is offline Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
Last edited by Jsutherland8; Jan 27, 2015 at 01:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by tacx
United States, MI, Romeo
Joined Apr 2009
2,919 Posts
Never trust anything. Always check polarity on leads, harnesses, servo extensions and batteries. Never trust that the factory has wired things properly.

A multi meter is your friend!!!
tacx is online now Find More Posts by tacx
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,645 Posts
Why would you ever have two different configurations based on chemistry? Should always be red wire positive, black wire negative.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by desertstalker
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
Why would you ever have two different configurations based on chemistry? Should always be red wire positive, black wire negative.
It is, but which side of the plug you put the +ve on is not specified, so can vary for different applications.
desertstalker is online now Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by abenn
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,562 Posts
I agree, the issue is not LiPo-specific; the plugs and wiring don't know where your electricity comes from. They should always be wired the same way and, from the photos you've posted, they aren't.

I'm not excusing the supplier, but you can easily see if the plugs are wrong when you try to connect them together, without frying things, for red wire should go to red wire.

Incidentally, what's the purpose of the third photo in the OP? It seems to be the first photo turned upside down.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn