Old Apr 07, 2015, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by gtzero
Huck'in Addict
United States, FL, Crestview
Joined Feb 2014
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Hope the wings come off of mine OK. yesterday after a flight while carrying it back, one of the ails was fluttering up and down. Guess I'll have to replace both of them. Both the elev. and rudder servos screwed up shortly after I got it about a yr. ago and were replaced at that time.

Gord.
Hey Gord! Are you going to go with HTX-900 for the ailerons? They work great, but takes a little modding because they are smaller than stock. I used little pieces of lite ply- lightly gorilla glued the ply in and drilled new holes. Kind of a pain, but I haven't had one issue. Well except when I first put them in. I used an extension and they were not fast enough. I deleted the extension and soldered in wire to just the length I needed and they sped back up. I also removed the detrum 60 amp esc and castle creations bec and went back to the stocker. The stocker pushes plenty of power for the HXT's and it's a lot lighter. --- IMHO, if I knew what I know now, I would probably just go with stock servos for the ailerons . I don't see any performance increase or decrease in the roll rate except for there is no flutter or noise at all with the HXTs. --- PM me your address if you want my old stock servos-- they have about 30 something flights is all. I owe you for all of the help and advice you have given me in the past

Dee
gtzero is online now Find More Posts by gtzero
Old Apr 08, 2015, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by dalecheek1
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
2,520 Posts
Look what QQ has come up with
Premier Aircraft QQ Extra 300 (3 min 17 sec)
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Apr 08, 2015, 05:55 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,877 Posts
Thanks very much for your advise Dee. I'l take it into consideration when I pull it apart. I still use the stock ESC as it seems to be working fine. I will be using the HXT 900s as they are very reliable servos.
Thanks again .
Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM
Find More Posts by jiggz
"its not a hobby its obsession
United Kingdom, Meopham
Joined Jul 2014
2,220 Posts
Hey all been a while since I posted here..my VA has been layed up due to a bad Rudd servo ..(was screeching and grinding)
I was bored a few days ago so I removed the servo and stripped it down to find the secondary gearbox shaft had popped out of the recess in the housing I put it right and hay presto good as new ...took her strait out for a couple of flights..mainly high altitude to get my hand back in...she drained a 2200 in 4 mins with a weak power delivery...?? And then the same with the second 3s..not sure what that's all about ..but my 4s batts seem to b weak in my other models..could it be my charger??
Cells always balance out to 4.2 but flight performance is minimal
Jeff
jiggz is offline Find More Posts by jiggz
Old Yesterday, 06:40 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,877 Posts
I replaced both the elev. and rudder servos with the HXT 900s and been working fine since. About four more flights on it yesterday.
A higher capacity batt. might help. I'm running a 3300ma, 30 C batt and it's off the ground in about 20 ft. I drive it hard and am getting 5 mins on the timer in the trans.

Gord.
Old Today, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by eghershey
FB Group: We Fly RC's
Joined Mar 2007
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I replaced both the elev. and rudder servos with the HXT 900s and been working fine since. About four more flights on it yesterday.
A higher capacity batt. might help. I'm running a 3300ma, 30 C batt and it's off the ground in about 20 ft. I drive it hard and am getting 5 mins on the timer in the trans.

Gord.
I've used the same servos on some project planes but there is no way I could bring my self to using them for my VisionAire. Maybe I fly harder than I should but a $3.00 servo just isn't what I would use. BTW: The VisionAire receiver states that the servos must be digital. Don't really know if that is etched in stone, obviously not if they are working for you.
eghershey is online now Find More Posts by eghershey
Old Today, 07:39 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,877 Posts
Price doesn't have much bearing on these servos. They are among the best on the market right now, for their size. Take a look at the output gear on them. You'll find it's about twice as thick as anything else, so you have to really work to strip them. People talk about them drawing higher amps than others of the same size. They do, but that's where they get the power that they have, for their size. Reliability is also a big factor. Ask anyone else that's using them and I bet you'll get answers along the same lines.
I'll wager they at least as much power as the ones that come in the plane.

Gord.
Old Today, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by tracknoob
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,853 Posts
I very much agree that applying the truism "Don't put cheap servos in your plane" is completely undone with the HXT90s. Given the volume of them they make and sell, they simply seem to have been able to put out a good design, at an awesome price.

I've bought maybe 20 or more of them over the last couple of years, and had almost no trouble with them, and they are every bit as strong and as reliable and as capable as the offering from major 'name brands' who charge ten times more.

As always, ymmv, but check around with people you know who actually are using them in your club, and not just those who always go high-end name brand anyway, on principle, and I think you will find the same story: great servo, great price.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob