Old Jul 06, 2014, 02:52 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,181 Posts
Discussion
MKS 6625 High Voltage Brushless Wing Servo Install

Hi all,

I was finally able to get my hands on some of these servos and go through an install with them this weekend.

In my humble opinion, this is a case where we all brought up the issues that we thought the 6125's had and the factory listened!

The travel range has increased quite a bit, and the motors can handle the high voltage of 2 cells of your favorite flavor.

I didn't nearly have to play with the angle of the RDS install as much to get the travel I wanted for the flaps. I got them to prob 85 degrees with an easy angle with the provided Buadis RDS kit that comes with the Precision.

I have included a couple of bench videos of them installed into a new Pike Precision wing, and they are connected up to a fresh 2 cell LiPo pack that was reading 8.2 Volts when I did this test. The speed is pretty amazing, and the torque that it gets is pretty outrageous too. It also centered very well...

I know...I know... they are expensive. We don't have to get into a huge discussion as to whether or not they are too expensive. You can't get another brushless wing servo with performance like this for any cheaper, so we don't need to argue that. And yes, I'm sure there are many of you that can say that some other kind of servo is plenty good enough...to each their own...

MKS 6625 High Voltage Brushless Wing Servos (0 min 42 sec)

MKS 6625 HV Wing Servos (0 min 35 sec)

Tim
ttraver is offline Find More Posts by ttraver
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2014, 04:18 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,851 Posts
Cool!
Glad to hear that they have a 2S Life/LiPo compatible setup now.
So they are high voltage AND they have more travel than before?
Perfect.
Did you happen to measure the travel, Tim?
Bring on the LIFE!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 06, 2014, 05:48 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,873 Posts
Nice work Tim.
concreteman is online now Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Jul 06, 2014, 11:11 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,181 Posts
Comparison video

Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
Cool!
Did you happen to measure the travel, Tim?
Ok, so I did this little test video to show you how much travel it has compared to the 6125 servo.

It's not very scientific, and I didn't break out the protractor to measure it.

I connected both of those servos to the Flap outputs on a single receiver, and made sure they were traveling at the max amounts. I made them start at roughly zero degrees and got them going in the same direction so you can see where they end up. I shaped some taller horns to put on them to help with the visualization.

If I were to go the extra mile, I suppose I would mount them in a frame to a surface, and make a horn that had a piece of something on it with length so you could easily measure the angles...I've been building almost all weekend, so I got too tired to get crazy with it...

Anyways, hope you like the video...

Tim

MKS 6625 vs 6125 travel (1 min 20 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2014, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
548 Posts
Im using these in my Pike as well. I decided to go with conventional linkages and these things hold rock solid using LiFe batteries.
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74
Old Jul 07, 2014, 03:29 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,626 Posts
Glad to hear they are in the hands of real pilots getting a workout! I think brushless servos are the future. Someday we will have forgotten about brushed motor servos, the same way we have forgotten about analog servos today. Again, MKS upped the bar! Kudos!
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Jul 07, 2014, 07:52 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,851 Posts
Looks like a full 120* at least.
Thanks for the video, Tim!

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 07, 2014, 10:07 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
733 Posts
Does the 6625 fit the same servo frame as the 6125 so one could swap them out?

Thanks,
Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:18 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Sep 2012
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DProseus View Post
Does the 6625 fit the same servo frame as the 6125 so one could swap them out?

Thanks,
Dick
They are identical.
BDK74 is offline Find More Posts by BDK74
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:28 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2006
462 Posts
I am using 4 of these in an X2 4000 with an Hyperion 2C LiFe pack. Nothing but good things to say.
Stefano
stefanoc2 is offline Find More Posts by stefanoc2
Old Aug 04, 2014, 02:59 AM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,181 Posts
Hi all!

One thing to be careful of if you are using these servos.

They have a much higher torque rating, especially at the higher voltages. You have to pay more attention to your physical end points of the travel of your surfaces.

In the past, if you hit the physical end point of your surface movement, the servo simply doesn't have any power to do anything about it. But I have found out, that the higher torque may now be putting more force on things like RDS rods and pockets, or clevises and other means of installations.

It's best if as soon as you install them, to make sure to limit your radio to the max travel allowed in your physical flap or aileron linkages to avoid putting stress on those elements.

I'm just letting you know, because I loosened an RDS shaft inside its coupler from a bad landing recently.

It seems that we've now moved the weak point of the system from the servo to some of the other elements in the system, which ever you may be using.

I'm loving mine so far though!

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2014, 02:48 PM
Jody Miller
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jun 2009
489 Posts
I love the 6625. It is a monster. I have them across my whole wing on my 3.5 X2.
No worries with a direct two man tow in the wind with a full tension throw. The performance is well worth the price.

Jody
sailjester2811 is offline Find More Posts by sailjester2811
Old Aug 04, 2014, 03:12 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,181 Posts
Yeah, they are great.

In windy conditions, an F3F or F3B pilot has to be careful how fast he attempts to pull down the flaps because it may result in a sudden dive due to the elevator compensation combined with the flap servos fighting the force of the wind.

If the flap servos can't deploy at the same rate of the elevator compensation, then the plane will get more down elevator than it needs, hence the sudden dive.

But with these babies...they've got plenty of power to overcome those forces, so I've seen much less of a dive for sure...

And yeah, in a high tension launch they will hold well for sure!

t
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
97 Posts
current consumption

Hi everyone,

can I ask how much the 6625 draw in your pike?

I have them in my precision as well together with 2 HV737 for the tail. traditional topdrive install. Love it! These servos are rockstars!!

However, after about 2hours45min of flight time, my charger puts 1455mah back into the battery.

This is a LOT!! And to be honest a little scary...

thanks a lot for your answers.

Cyril
jibber is offline Find More Posts by jibber
Old Aug 31, 2014, 02:59 PM
Team USA F3F Member
USA, CA, Carlsbad
Joined Feb 2011
1,181 Posts
2 hours and 45 minutes of continuous flight time???

That is a LOT of flight time, and only putting back in 1455mah is pretty good in my book...

You just have to know how much you use, and have the right size battery to make you feel comfortable.

The newer NMC batteries that we are using can get you up to 2900mah of capacity...

Even a 2000mah Nmh battery would be fine.

You might just have to take a break after 2 3/4 hours of flying...

t
RCG Plus Member