HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:24 AM
Joined Mar 2014
16 Posts
a good beginner scale sailboat?

You can try the Osprey kit from Bluejacket Shipcrafters, in searsport, Maine. But its a tad bit pricey, $485. Its 35 3/4 inches long and its 65 1/2 inches high. Good luck!
America_Schooner is offline Find More Posts by America_Schooner
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 03:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
35 Posts
I have owned built the Kyosho Fair Wind and yes it's a nice boat, decent price with great detailing for scale efect, if you can find a good one on the net for sale I would suggest it. The boat will need a better fittings set, my opinion, like standing rigging fasteners and running rigging like a couple ball bearing blocks will be the biggest upgrade you can do. The sewed paneled sails with battens that comes with the boat are top rate sales for this little boat . Due to it's smaller size and weight, it is easy tobe knocked over in heavy wind or bursts of wind , alot easier than a larger boat. It was easy to transport though, I could take the boat to the lake rigged up in the back of my stepside pick up or camping fully rigged in my trailer to run at parks with a lake. Size is king in a sail boat because as has been mentioned many times, you can not scale wind or water, a windy day is a hurricane to that small boat. You can find it a good start and later move to a larger boat that will handle stronger winds for more enjoyable sailing.
skibo is offline Find More Posts by skibo