SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:07 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,985 Posts
Discussion
Freewing Spacewalker

Does anyone have experience with the Freewing Spacewalker? It's carried by Hobby Lobby, Motion RC and Castle, but I've searched and not found any threads . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:28 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
601 Posts
I had just seen it on Hobby Lobbys pages and I was thinking the same thing? It is an interesting looking plane.

Jay
Cub Fan is online now Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:58 AM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
76 Posts
Ordered one, will give some info (around beginning of march)
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue
Old Mar 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
76 Posts
It's there. First feelings : very good packaging, very good build quality, just a few screws to fix. Nice finish, doesn't look foam when you are a few meters away. Pretty and original. Only qualities ? No : seems a bit heavy for size.
Did a maiden, but the video is not good enough for publishing (I was alone, and prefered to act as a pilot more than like a cameraman).
Heaviness is felt when flying, has to go fast.
Anyway no regret, good quality for price, I shall look at the other Freewing planes.
Hope to show a video in the next days.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:14 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papangue View Post
It's there. First feelings : very good packaging, very good build quality, just a few screws to fix. Nice finish, doesn't look foam when you are a few meters away. Pretty and original. Only qualities ? No : seems a bit heavy for size.
Did a maiden, but the video is not good enough for publishing (I was alone, and prefered to act as a pilot more than like a cameraman).
Heaviness is felt when flying, has to go fast.
Anyway no regret, good quality for price, I shall look at the other Freewing planes.
Hope to show a video in the next days.
Thanks for the report!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:17 PM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
76 Posts
video test (in German)

http://www.rcmovie.de/video/3096ec50...-von-Lindinger
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:14 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papangue View Post
Thanks! Looks pretty good--this may have to be my next choice for just banging around the park . . .
Old Mar 05, 2014, 11:58 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
I just got one of these and it's a great plane. Easy to build, fun to fly. I fly mine using a GForce 1800 mah 3s battery and the CG is spot on. Takes some practice to grease the landings though.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:41 AM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
409 Posts
any video? there isn't much out there on these yet. I have one but I have to wait till we thaw out up here before I have a runway. i have gforce 1500mah for mine as I use them in other planes. what are your flight times with the 1800mah?
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:56 AM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,105 Posts
Sorry no video either , I finally have flown my SpaceWalker several flights now using Electrifly 1600mah batterys . Postive comments all around for this low cost realistic looking plane .
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Mar 06, 2014, 11:00 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
5,012 Posts
I never fly any plane more than 8 minutes (bad neck) so that's where I set the timer on my DX9. When I land I usually have quite a bit of power left in the batteries, about 30% if I do some spirited flying.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,372 Posts
[QUOTE=Papangue;24481414]It's there. First feelings : very good packaging, very good build quality, just a few screws to fix. Nice finish, doesn't look foam when you are a few meters away. Pretty and original. Only qualities ? No : seems a bit heavy for size.

I don't see why you figure it is heavy for the size of the plane.
Also it has a good size wing chord.
Mine weighs 32 ouces with a 1800mah battery.
Even my Formosa II with a 42.5 inch wingspan weighs 36 ounces with the same battery.
My Cermark BD-5 ( 43.75 wingspan & a narrow chord) weighs 30 ounces with battery.
My 41.5 inch wingspan FlyZone Tidewater weighs 31 ounces with battery.
My 39 inch wingspan Tower Hobbies Corsair weighs 30.25 ounces with battery.
What 44 inch wingspan planes are you comparing it to ?
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Last edited by Clive66; Apr 27, 2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 01:38 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
409 Posts
wow I forgot to post my report. we have had very few good flying days this year but I'm happy with it. super easy steady flyer and of all things it flys very well in strong wind. the one day I flew it in 16-19mph gusts and found it to be awesome for simple aerobatics against the wind and it would recover easily no mater how out of shape I would get it.
not enough power to hover but it will stall and hammerhead off the rudder nicely. really a nice fun flyer for around 100 bucks.maybe I will post a vid if we ever make it to something like flying weather. rain, snow, wind forcasted for the next week AGAIN
Old Apr 27, 2014, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,372 Posts
Attn: meltor

What battery are you using ?
What are the control surface throws on yours (no specs listed for that)
I doubt that it matters much, just curious.
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Apr 27, 2014, 03:57 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
409 Posts
I am using a 1500mah 30c gforce battery and I added a 1/4oz sticky weight just in front of the battery compartment as it was maybe a little aft on c/g without it. I am getting 6 min. flights with 3.86 per cell left after a hard flight. for the controls I went 100% for high rates and cut it back to 62% for low rates 75% mid rates with 25% expo all the way around with my dx9.i'm not sure what the actual throws measure.
I have just been flying it on high rates after the maiden. it will do a decending knife edge almost holding level flight and flys inverted with no elevator input so the c/g is about spot on. really a fun non terrifying sport plane. big loops or small loops one after another against the wind.