HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:39 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Question
Run Low Voltage Alarm plus LEDs

I want to run my low voltage alarm and LEds from my 3s battery balance connection. Is there an adapter that allows me to do this and if so where could I purchase one from?
loquacious is offline Find More Posts by loquacious
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:47 AM
Israel
Joined Nov 2012
233 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rm_2s_4s_.html
squid10 is offline Find More Posts by squid10
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid10 View Post
Thanks but I already have the alarm and LEDs .. what I am after is an adapter so I can run both off the same battery.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:46 AM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Aug 2012
205 Posts
you could certainly use this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...onitor_3S.html

...and plug in a JST connector for the LEDs?
Mrhide is online now Find More Posts by Mrhide
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:40 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhide View Post
you could certainly use this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...onitor_3S.html

...and plug in a JST connector for the LEDs?
My LEDs are running off the battery balance plug., I also want to put a battery monitor on it too how can I run BOTH from the battery balance plug?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:42 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
I am guessing due to lack of responses that what I am trying to do cannot be done?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:29 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
A couple of questions:
  1. What voltage LiPo are you using?
  2. Does your voltage alarm monitor each cell, or only the total pack voltage?
  3. Are your LEDs rated for the full voltage of your battery?
  4. Do you solder, or know anyone who can do it for you?
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:37 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Oct 2012
150 Posts
Voltage display of total voltage and individual cells plus buzzer alarm when voltage drops to certain level are very common..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...age_Alarm.html
sgg05158 is offline Find More Posts by sgg05158
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-yeah View Post
A couple of questions:
  1. What voltage LiPo are you using?
  2. Does your voltage alarm monitor each cell, or only the total pack voltage?
  3. Are your LEDs rated for the full voltage of your battery?
  4. Do you solder, or know anyone who can do it for you?
I am using a 4500mAh 11.1v batter
The alarm I have measures each cell
LEDs are rated for full voltage
I can solder to some degree / also know someone who can solder
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:12 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgg05158 View Post
Voltage display of total voltage and individual cells plus buzzer alarm when voltage drops to certain level are very common..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...age_Alarm.html
Hi sgg0158

I already have the voltage monitor and the LEDs I am just looking for a way to run them both together. I thought there might be an adapter out there so I could connect both to the balance plug on my lipo
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:28 PM
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
1,928 Posts
If the LEDs are rated for the 3S lipo, just add a JST or other connector to your power distribution board/harness. Run them directly from there and the battery alarm off the balance plug.
MayMayDay is online now Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:12 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loquacious View Post
I am using a 4500mAh 11.1v batter
The alarm I have measures each cell
LEDs are rated for full voltage
I can solder to some degree / also know someone who can solder
I have a few follow-up questions, but I will try to recommend a few options based on the more common set-ups that I am familiar with.

Assuming you have JST-XH balance connectors on your batteries, you could get something like this product. Simply cut away one of the male connectors, and excess wires, then solder it to suit your needs.

JST-XH Parallel Connector

Essentially you would be making a little bridge from the male, and female connectors, then you could "tap-out" the type of connector you need for your LEDS using the outside two wires (12V). (Same idea as the connectors linked below, that use JST connectors.) You would also need some heat shrink.

Another (solder free) option, could be to dedicate the balance tap to the voltage alarm, and use one of the products below to power your lights. (Again, assuming you use one, or the other type of battery connector...)

Deans connectors w/JST (male)

XT-60 connector w/JST (male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMayDay View Post
If the LEDs are rated for the 3S lipo, just add a JST or other connector to your power distribution board/harness. Run them directly from there and the battery alarm off the balance plug.
Using a distribution board is a good clean option, I have used that method in the past. Recently I have eliminated all distribution boards from my multi's, and started using a custom wiring harnesses fitted with taps for accessory power.
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:59 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2012
204 Posts
Quote:
I have a few follow-up questions, but I will try to recommend a few options based on the more common set-ups that I am familiar with.

Assuming you have JST-XH balance connectors on your batteries, you could get something like this product. Simply cut away one of the male connectors, and excess wires, then solder it to suit your needs.

JST-XH Parallel Connector

Essentially you would be making a little bridge from the male, and female connectors, then you could "tap-out" the type of connector you need for your LEDS using the outside two wires (12V). (Same idea as the connectors linked below, that use JST connectors.) You would also need some heat shrink.

Another (solder free) option, could be to dedicate the balance tap to the voltage alarm, and use one of the products below to power your lights. (Again, assuming you use one, or the other type of battery connector...)

Deans connectors w/JST (male)

XT-60 connector w/JST (male)

Using a distribution board is a good clean option, I have used that method in the past. Recently I have eliminated all distribution boards from my multi's, and started using a custom wiring harnesses fitted with taps for accessory power.
Thanks for all the info .... I will give option one a go as I am not really keen on having another connection coming off the main battery lead. Probably being over cautious but the balance lead with parallel connector seems like a good option.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:19 AM
Posted as eflightdude 06-07
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Quote:

<snip>

Hmm, I've got a 10 pack of the balance extenders, and I want to feed battery voltage to my Naze32, as it has a built-in voltage monitor. But I don't feel like unwrapping the electrical tale on my wiring harness right now, and this is a good solution until I get tired of plugging in two wires all the time. Thanks!
jseyfert3 is offline Find More Posts by jseyfert3
Old Feb 06, 2014, 09:35 AM
Joined Feb 2014
5 Posts
I have run into the same problem, could you purchase a set of the 3s JST-XH connectors
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-3S-4-Pin...-/300931361267

And make a reverse of this cable (2 male 1 female)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2xJST_XH_.html

Then plug one end into the voltage alarm and the other into an adapter to power the LED's
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ad_4_JST_.html
Patrollin is offline Find More Posts by Patrollin