HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:12 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
916 Posts
I too recommend the T6 Flysky radio.
Being able to increase the sail servo throw to 120% is very useful.
Also there is a 3 channel receiver with failsafe so you can set the sail servo for loss of radio signal.
There is also a mod for the meter to allow use of a 2S lipo or four cell AA battery.
It is also compatible with a lot of helicopter bricks.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
I have reviewed all of the economical radio systems and opted for the FlySky T6 as recommended here recently. Will be nice to have a 2.4Ghz radio for the new Fairwind.

BTW, I cant help but admire the craftsmanship of the Fairwind III. Have never had a sailboat before, so I will be anxiously awaiting some springtime weather to get out to the lake nearby.

The steel ballast that came with the kit weighs 3.84 lbs. Before I add the lead ballast, does this seem like a logical initial ballast weight to start with? The boat itself weighs 4.90 lbs with the four AA batteries.Thus the total weight would be 8.74 lbs
Chalupadrop is offline Find More Posts by Chalupadrop
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupadrop View Post
I have reviewed all of the economical radio systems and opted for the FlySky T6 as recommended here recently. Will be nice to have a 2.4Ghz radio for the new Fairwind.

BTW, I cant help but admire the craftsmanship of the Fairwind III. Have never had a sailboat before, so I will be anxiously awaiting some springtime weather to get out to the lake nearby.

The steel ballast that came with the kit weighs 3.84 lbs. Before I add the lead ballast, does this seem like a logical initial ballast weight to start with? The boat itself weighs 4.90 lbs with the four AA batteries.Thus the total weight would be 8.74 lbs
You're right, the FW III is well made, they got most of it right.
I don't like the hatch fastening method, or the stiff rigging lines (or the slot footed mainsail) , but aside from those little quibbles, it's beaut!

In racing trim, there is a minimum weight requirement of 8 lbs.
Most racers try to nail that weight by dropping all the bling, going for carbon fibre masts etc.
You're weight sounds about right, for a stock FW III.
A heavier boat is slow to accelerate, but I have found, (while racing with Victorias), that sometimes my heavier Nirvana will round a buoy by sheer momentum when the wind dies, while the lighter boats have come to a complete stop, and didn't make it around the buoy.

My FW ballast was about 3.13 lbs.
I put it all in, but didn't add anymore, the weight of the glue I poured in would add some more weight too.

My sails aren't stock, but seem to be made out of the same materials (only loose footed), so I don't that makes any weight difference there.

I'm going to pick up a hanging fish scale so I can weigh the boat by hanging it with everything in it. That's what the Victoria guys do around here.

As I said earlier I can always add some weight either temporarily, or permanently if required.
You don't want to overdo the ballast, as you'll create a slug, that sits in the water way below the waterline, and takes a hurricane to get it moving.
You don't want a boat that blows over with every little puff that comes along either.
Testing, testing...
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Apr 01, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:20 AM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
lilleyen

Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with your lesser initial ballast weight to allow for future addition per your recommendation. And hope to see some info on your results, but I suppose sailing in Ontario is suspended for a while also.

BTW, I recently bought a nice little digital scale from Harbor Freight and it runs about $19US. Has a capacity of 11 lbs and makes weighing ballast etc quite easy. You can also search for a 20% coupon on line, so I was able to get it for about $15. It is Item #95364

Just thought some of you might be interested.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
Also there is a 3 channel receiver with failsafe so you can set the sail servo for loss of radio signal.
There is also a mod for the meter to allow use of a 2S lipo or four cell AA battery.

Rusty,
Per your recommendation, just ordered the new FS-T6 radio system. I would like to use it for some other models. Do you know which receivers would be compatible with the new FS-T6. I cant decipher the information about the receivers, seems like there has been a CT-6A, CT-6B transmitter etc. prior to the FS-T6 and cant tell if the receivers are all compatible.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
Lipo Power
Joined May 2009
301 Posts
Ok now, lets go back to the topic.....
and that is
Fairwind III by Kyosho....
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
916 Posts
The frequency protocol has been changed from ok to very good making the older receivers with a satellite redundant.
The three receivers that are likely to be useful to you are the 3ch linked above, the 6 channel that comes with the Transmitter and the WLToys brick linked above (get a V911 heli for $20! and fly it until you crash and then use the brick).
Only the 3 channel has failsafe, and it is lighter (including a much lower shipping weight from HK). HK has no knowledge of which receiver works with which transmitter.
The 3 and 6ch are widely available from many vendors with differing brand names.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:02 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrushlesHeaven View Post
Ok now, lets go back to the topic.....
and that is
Fairwind III by Kyosho....
She got her first launch today, 6 degrees and sunny.
Not much wind though.
All in all a fun time, a bit more tweaking to do, but she floated!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
623 Posts
Very Nice.

Terry
marter1229 is online now Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:22 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Burrrrrrrrrrrr! Looks pretty chilly out there! That is dedication! You make me proud!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Burrrrrrrrrrrr! Looks pretty chilly out there! That is dedication! You make me proud!
Boomer

Long johns, transmitter mitt lined with black fleece, winter boots.

Just couldn't wait till spring to try it out!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:56 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
More mods

Today I bought some 1/2" wide self adhesive magnetic tape.
I'm going to modify the lid on the radio box, so I don't have to remove four screws every time I want in there.

The screws will have to stay of course because they hold the box in place, but they won't be holding the lid on.
It should be just as waterproof as before, because there is that slot at the end for the wires anyway.

It's really just there to catch drips. It's not really waterproof anyway.

I'll post pictures when it's done.
Last edited by lilleyen; Apr 01, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:41 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
... but she floated!!
Always a good thing.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:33 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post

How do you set the failsave on this 3 channel receiver? Like most HK stuff it comes with zero documentation, and even on the website information is scattered and/or incorrect. The product description for instance lists it as being only compatible with the GT-2 series transmitter, while it binds to much more FlySky stuff.

@lilleyen: congrats on a succesful maiden voyage, looking good with the sun reflected in the water.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:57 PM
Lipo Power
Joined May 2009
301 Posts
Guys, please use PMs if not thread subject related...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
How do you set the failsave on this 3 channel receiver? Like most HK stuff it comes with zero documentation, and even on the website information is scattered and/or incorrect. The product description for instance lists it as being only compatible with the GT-2 series transmitter, while it binds to much more FlySky stuff.

@lilleyen: congrats on a succesful maiden voyage, looking good with the sun reflected in the water.
BrushlesHeaven is offline Find More Posts by BrushlesHeaven