SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2003, 10:00 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
My New Indoor Plane

I just wanted to share some pictures of the latest indoor flyer I've designed. There is nothing fancy about it except the foam wing is hollow to reduce weight. This is in fact the second version of the plane. This one weighs in at 8.4 ounces with a Duel IPS motor. There is plenty of power for quick take offs. The wing shown will be the second one on this fuselage. In fact I built a third wing just in case someone flies through the wing like the last time. The first wing had the standard dihedral, this wing sports polyhedral. The third wing has a little less dihedral at the wing tips. I like to experiment to see which works best in the confined spaces we fly in.

John Boren
John Boren is offline Find More Posts by John Boren
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2003, 10:03 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
Rear View

Here is a shot of the plane from the rear. I treat my radio installations in all my indoor flyers the same as my gas ships. The servos are screwed down and the push rods have plenty of anchor guids for a nice rigid pushrod installation.

John Boren
Old Dec 01, 2003, 10:05 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
Airfoil

This photo shows the hollow wing construction. I CNC cut the wing. The wire enters the trailing of the wing to cut out the inside. I then glue in a 1/8” vertical balsa spar in place. I also glue the top and bottom of the trailing edge together at the same time as the spar. If you look closely you will see the thin piece of 1/64” plywood I use at the dihedral breaks for bracing. In this case it is on front side of the spar.

John Boren
Old Dec 02, 2003, 08:40 AM
Westbrook Maine
Joined Apr 2003
594 Posts
Nice Job! I can't wait for a flight report. What is the w/s? How are you attaching the wing?
fmhans is offline Find More Posts by fmhans
Old Dec 02, 2003, 11:09 AM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
It should fly just as well if not better then the old wing which had the standard dihedral. The wingspan is 34.5 inches with a total area of 271 sq. Inches. The first wing was simply glued in place. Since it lasted a total of 2 outings before someone flew through it I decided to make this one removeable. There is One 8/32" nylon bolt holding the wing down. A small plywood plate under the bolt's head helps destribute the load over the wings Spar. There will be a thin layer of double sided foam tape under the entire wing where it makes contact with the body to prevent the wing from rotating under normal flight loads. WHEN the next wing is destroyed I can simple take out the bolt and peel off the tape. I will of course have a spare wing with me at all times.

John Boren
Old Dec 04, 2003, 12:54 PM
Colorado
Joined May 2003
755 Posts
I just thought I would give a flight update. She flies just fine indoors and will most likely be a great outdoor flyer. She is a little faster then say a Light Stick with it's shorten wing but it is still very easy to turn in tight spaces.

John Boren