HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2014, 08:12 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,170 Posts
Those outer wing struts are one of the few weaknesses of the Beast. It won't take a compression jolt as if for instance, an inverted landing and touching the wingtip, the strut will collapse, so even if you replace it with a new one, I'd put that carbon brace on the inside face of it just for insurance. The added weight would be negligible.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2014, 01:28 PM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
I don't have carbon rods. You think tooth picks are too heavy to use? If so I could probably split one in half to use. (1 for both struts)
Endersmens is offline Find More Posts by Endersmens
Old Nov 05, 2014, 03:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Toothpicks may work, but a strip of thin c/f flat stock would be ideal. Most local hobby shops sell c/f rod & flat stock in a fairly wide range of sizes.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2014, 06:02 PM
Joined Jun 2013
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Toothpicks may work, but a strip of thin c/f flat stock would be ideal. Most local hobby shops sell c/f rod & flat stock in a fairly wide range of sizes.

Joel
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersmens View Post
I don't have carbon rods. You think tooth picks are too heavy to use? If so I could probably split one in half to use. (1 for both struts)
I posted a link of where to get CF in the post below. Here it is again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloXray View Post
I fortified mine in a manner very similar to the dude in this post. My beast is super stiff now. The weight is negligible. Granted I'm at about 100 flights and have never crashed it. I can tell a difference in the lack of flex while flying it though. Have a look:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1317

You can get the carbon fiber rods and strips at RC Foam.
LongGone is offline Find More Posts by LongGone
Old Nov 05, 2014, 09:52 PM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

Joel
Do you mean Carbon Fiber Strips? (I'm looking through the site trying to find what you're talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloXray View Post
Exactly.

I posted a link of where to get CF in the post below. Here it is again.
Thank you. Sorry I didn't notice that.

I think I'll use toothpicks for now, unless I can get those Carbon fiber things pretty quickly. (I wanna fllyyyyyy )
Old Nov 05, 2014, 11:58 PM
Joined Jun 2013
185 Posts
Yes, carbon fiber strips. These are the ones that I use.

There are cheap. You will use them for other stuff as well if you stay in RC planks for long. Always good to have some CF strips and rods around.

RC Foam ships really fast, but You can probably also walk into almost any local hobby shop and get some as well.
LongGone is offline Find More Posts by LongGone
Old Nov 06, 2014, 08:54 AM
Joined Oct 2014
55 Posts
Thank you. I'll be ordering Carbon Fiber strips and rods and anything else i see useful.