SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 02, 2011, 02:14 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
Cool
Thunder Tiger Japanese ZERO

Hello guys and Lovers of the Japanese ZERO!!!

Thought to start a new thread on this wonderful model that arrived late yesterday afternoon from Tower Hobby and presently they are on SALE at a very good price!

Nothing to be disappointed here of my unpacking of my brand new Thunder Tiger Japanese ZERO! A typical packing job by Thunder Tiger and Tower as the model came in a larger box and the inner box from Thunder Tiger was SEALED with their special round seal marker adhesive decal.

The model was expertly packaged and nothing, I mean NOTHING was damaged, nicked, dented nor molested in any way!

The Paint job and density of the FOAM was EXCELLENT for a EPS foam model and super light. I did not see any voids, low spots nor bubbles of any kind.

Again the paint job is 1st Rate!!!

I have several pictures and the last few are with the GWS Japanese ZERO product.

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2011, 07:52 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,090 Posts
The only issues I have with the planes are the fact that I need to take off the wing to replace the battery. Other than that I like my zeroes.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
Old Sep 23, 2011, 10:06 PM
Piffard, New York
Joined Feb 2003
27 Posts
Watch out for flexing of elevator push rod

the elevator push rod flexed a lot on mine and the surfaces moved quite freely, I was able to get some support in and problem solved. Don`t like to have to take wing off to change battery.
Gerard M Weaver is offline Find More Posts by Gerard M Weaver
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:01 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,090 Posts
I actually replaced the stock push rods with a Dubro set. I didn't like how the stock ones attached to the elevator.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:00 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,170 Posts
How did you guy's planes fly??. I had troubles with bad tipstall and had to fix it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:50 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,090 Posts
My Zero flies fine but I had to add quite a bit of weight into the cowl to balance the CG to where I want it. I still have to figure out the CG sweet spot but it flies fine, when I increase the throttle it'll climb pretty quick so I am also playing around with my throttle/elevator mix. A pretty good looking plane, be sure to tighten the wing screw, after a couple of high speed runs I landed it and was wondering why there was a gap between the wing and the fuse. I did'nt screw it all the way down and the screw cap pushed down on the foam. Will have to fly it again this weekend to see how it goes. The plane is so light that I decided to have the cg slightly nose heavy.

-ben
Old Oct 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,170 Posts
Didn't like the wing removal for the batt too so I butchered it to the same setup as the GWS Zero by putting the batt in through the removeable canopy and sliding it to the front. Canopy is held on with velcro. Had to put washout in the wing to keep it from tipstalling.

Gord.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,090 Posts
What motor did you drop into your plane?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:32 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,170 Posts
This one came with a motor. Seems to work fine. Lots of poop with the prop that came with it.

Gord.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:31 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
964 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Didn't like the wing removal for the batt too so I butchered it to the same setup as the GWS Zero by putting the batt in through the removeable canopy and sliding it to the front. Canopy is held on with velcro. Had to put washout in the wing to keep it from tipstalling.

Gord.
I have a TT ZERO to be built this winter. Would you describe the technique you used to add washout in the event I encounter the difficult to manage tipstall as well?

Our TT Zero seems to be patterned after the one at the Planes of Fame Museum in Chino, CA. The color of the full size looks to be somewhere between the leaf green of our model and olive drab.

Any ideas on how to "drab down" the TT Zero green to closer match the full size Zero's color w/out stripping and repainting with some type of surface treatment?
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:55 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
964 Posts
Well, I thought "Insert Image" would insert an image from a URL instead of an icon. There I go thinking again....
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:24 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,170 Posts
I hope yours flies OK because it took quite drastic measures to make mine fly right. I had to slit the bottom of the wing diagonally from the front at the root to the trailing edge rear and take a thin, pie shaped piece out of it, in order to tilt the front tip down about an 1/8 of an in. Glued it back together with hot glue. It was an educated guess as to how much to put in. If it didn't work, I was going to put a wing on it from a GWS Zero kit I still have out in the garage. It is a good flying plane and looks great in the air.
P.S. I would just paint right over with the proper shade with the Tamiya or Testors paints as they have very much pigment with good coverage.
Last edited by flypaper 2; Dec 28, 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
964 Posts
Quote:
I hope yours flies OK because it took quite drastic measures to make mine fly right. I had to slit the bottom of the wing diagonally from the front at the root to the trailing edge rear and take a thin, pie shaped piece out of it, in order to tilt the front tip down about an 1/8 of an in. Glued it back together with hot glue. It was an educated guess as to how much to put in. If it didn't work, I was going to put a wing on it from a GWS Zero kit I still have out in the garage. It is a good flying plane and looks great in the air.
Very clever. I was having trouble picturing a workable method of adding washout to a foam wing. Here's hoping I don't have to test my meager skills with that mod.

Quote:
P.S. I would just paint right over with the proper shade with the Tamiya or Testors paints as they have very much pigment with good coverage.
Now that you mention simply overspraying the factory paint, it should take relatively little paint to achieve the desired effect. I was thinking of avoiding the added weight of another coat of paint.

Thank you for the worthy responses to my questions.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 01:36 AM
Aimin at the ground an missing
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2014
185 Posts
Just picked up this plane. KIT version with no pre-assembly. I've been searching and have found VERY LITTLE online for background or build threads on this kit. Guys at the hobby shop say they had some pretty good dogfights (ribbon cut) with this little model, so thought I'd give her a shot.
Anyone have some build tips??
I see you had some issues with wing incidence. Would you recommend a change in motor deflection to correct for this?

The kit also looks discontinued, so this is a bit of a long shot getting tips from experienced builders. I Might have to do a detailed build log for the next shmuck to find one gathering dust in some shop somewhere.
Anyone who's got one of these please chime in and let me know I'm not completely alone.
The Jackalope is offline Find More Posts by The Jackalope