SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:38 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Discussion
Not like Viacom would really throw us a bone

Highly promoted, Nicktoons cable (you have to have the digital tier) is running Ren & Stimpy every Saturday night at 9-10E this month. Happy happy joy joy, right? Not exactly.

These are only the later episodes, after Viacom's corporate onus had grossed out John Kricfalusi and he told them to stuff it. Or they told him. Whatever.

Not Space Madness, not Rubber Nipple Salesmen, not Muddy Mudskipper. Not Happy happy joy joy either. Sorry. Viacom is the same buncha hosebags who took Leave it to Beaver and I Love Lucy off and replaced them with Golden Girls and Cheers, which were clever the first time around but really don't sustain themselves.

I was thrilled when I saw the promos. Sadly, the thrill doesn't carry over to what they're actually running. What did I expect? It's Viacom, aka CBS/Paramount.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:24 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,838 Posts
I just bought a wifi dvd player and can watch all the great older stuff for free.

Would love to buy cable channels ala carte as i would only need 5 or 6 but I'm sure i'll be waiting a long time.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:55 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Cable is a charlie foxtrot. The numbers go up to 999 and I actually use about 2 dozen. When they work, that is. My (printed) file of malfunction complaints at Time Warner is twice my height, in only 3 years. Even the cable guy who comes to my house admits they've overthunk the plumbing to the point the drain is just short of stopping up all the time. Then you've got this digital nonsense which turns into checkerboard boxes every time a sparrow farts.

Vladimir Zworykin and Philo Farnsworth are rolling over in their graves.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:09 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
317 Posts
Cable is why I have satellite. Not that it's perfect but I got real tired of re-tiering; taking channels off your level and saying you need the NEXT level ($) to get 'em back. Dishnetwork hasn't done that...so far. A la carte may yet happen-lotta competition these days.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:03 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,838 Posts
Don't need showtime or hbo Just basic cable or sat. I even offered to pay 2 years in advance if it would be $30 a month.

I'm tired of all the hoopla and then they sock it to ya after the first year.

Might have to wait for a decent wifi computer program that will give me cable channels that I want for not so ridiculous of a price.

I guess thats to much to ask.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
Viacom had put a kybosh on people posting Youtubes of Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episodes, as they had bought Comedy Central, From what I've read, Joel Hodgson, the creator of the show was encouraging watchers to record the episodes and share them with their friends since 1990.

Fast forward to just a few years ago, Youtubes of MST3K were pulled with Viacom claiming ownership, but now they're coming back onto Youtube because of this old free use clause Joel initiated the show with. I wonder if Spumco could also demand free use of old Ren and Stimpy shows from Viacom?
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:24 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
My understanding of how Nickelodeon works is they buy the shows outright including all rights. The network copyright is on everything they run, not the show's originator or his production company.

Number of incidents recently whereby telemarketers for satellite TV give you a good rate over the phone but you're never presented with it in writing. Then after you sign up you find out the deal is about 2/3 worse than you were told AND there's a cancellation fee equal to the ripoff so you lose no matter what. At least cable hasn't sunk that low, that I know of.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:54 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
My understanding of how Nickelodeon works is they buy the shows outright including all rights. The network copyright is on everything they run, not the show's originator or his production company.

Number of incidents recently whereby telemarketers for satellite TV give you a good rate over the phone but you're never presented with it in writing. Then after you sign up you find out the deal is about 2/3 worse than you were told AND there's a cancellation fee equal to the ripoff so you lose no matter what. At least cable hasn't sunk that low, that I know of.
We got sold in person, papers and all. Had it a few years, so far so good.
dll932 is online now Find More Posts by dll932
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:03 PM
It's the Water!
Olympia, WA
Joined Apr 2005
90 Posts
No Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen?

No Full-Fledged Tank Paratroopers?

No Sven Hoerk and Ren's collection of rare incurable diseases, dinosaur droppings painted like Easter Eggs and no "Don't Wizz on the Electric Fence?

No Civil War Log?

Nahhh, won't be watching which is too bad. The older John Kricfalusi episodes are the best ones.
NWarty is offline Find More Posts by NWarty
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:02 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
Might not hurt to at least check the cable guide. I've seen one Kricfalusi episode so far. There may be more.

What rolls downstairs alone or in pairs, rolls over your neighbor's dog?
What's great for a snack and fits on your back, it's log log log.

It's log it's log, it's big it's heavy it's wood.
It's log, log, it's better than bad it's good.