SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 16, 2002, 03:35 PM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Hornet swash flying saucer

I have completed a portion of assembly on my Hornet to a point where I wanted to test under power my gear meshes and vibrations.

Chassis assembled, boom on with tail rotor mechanics, everything on rotor head except main blades, motor, esc, rec, batts.

When I power it up it runs real smoothly, good gear meshes, paddles nise and straight and NO vibrations. The thing that bothers me is the swashplate oscilates like a flying saucer, if you will...does not induse vibration, just oscilates. Bare in mind the servos are not hooked up. Also my hornet has the fuel tubing over the shaft and then the spacer that would normally be glued
riding on the top bearing. The main gear mesh is preloaded in by the fuel tubing.

After long story,..why is the swash oscilating? and is it okay that it does at this assembly point?

Thanks
Mike Giles
Mike Giles is offline Find More Posts by Mike Giles
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2002, 04:06 PM
U.K.
Joined Nov 2000
124 Posts
When you say your servos are not hooked up, do you mean not plugged into the rx. or not connected to the servos by the pushrods?
Regards,
Trevor.
trevorjw_uk is offline Find More Posts by trevorjw_uk
Old Mar 16, 2002, 08:09 PM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Trevor,

Not mechanically connected
Old Mar 16, 2002, 08:24 PM
U.K.
Joined Nov 2000
124 Posts
Link your servos up, adjust the links so that s/plate is at 90o to the shaft when viewed from the front and side. Make sure the paddles are parallel to each other. Make sure all the links are perfectly free. - Go fly!
The "flying saucer" behaviour of the s/plate is perfectly normal if it is not connected to the servos.
Regards,
Trevor.
trevorjw_uk is offline Find More Posts by trevorjw_uk
Old Mar 16, 2002, 08:29 PM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Trevor,

I am not being a smart A$$ but I thought it was, I wanted to be sure before going further...thank you for your help.

Mike