HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2013, 03:33 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,890 Posts
Question
Lighting for scale Bell Jet Ranger

I'm trying to add a bit of scale to my Century Bell Jet Ranger kit (going onto an Align T-Rex 550e mechanism) by adding working lights. I've looked at loads of photos of the real thing and can identify the red/green lights on the ends of the horizontal stabiliser, and the red anti-collision light (strobe, I presume) on top of the tail fin. Both of these are represented in the kit, and I've already added LEDs to make them operational.

But what I can't find in photos or on the kit moulding is any other anti-collision lights -- I would be expecting one underneath the fuselage, near the front, and perhaps another one on top near the main shaft, to give the full visibility required by the regulations. Can anyone advise, please, the position of these lights (if they are present) for a civilian version of the heli?
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2013, 05:18 AM
Joined Dec 2006
397 Posts
I don't know if this will help
http://www.rclighting.net/rc_lighting_12_036.htm

Greg
grover is online now Find More Posts by grover
Old Oct 08, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,890 Posts
That's a help, grover. I also found a catalogue which explains what the regulations require (page V of this file http://www.whelen.com/pb/Aviation/Ca...ng_Catalog.pdf). It shows a similar layout to your link and, though it doesn't show it in the 3-view drawing, in the text it mentions the white position light that's required in addition to the red/green ones.

But my query really is, is there a specific position for placing the upper and lower anti-collision lights on the JetRanger? There's nothing that I can see moulded into the fuselage I've got, and I can't find any photos of these lights on a full-size either.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:27 AM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
There are general locations for the lights only. On my Jet Ranger, there are two rotating beacons, one on the top of the tail (stock position), and one about an inch and a half from the lower rear main body junction. The horizontal tail has the two spots located from the factory and the front lower canopy has the landing light position for the two lamps, the forward one faces down in front of the helicopter, and the rear one faces mostly forward and a bit down to light up the runway and as a marker light for when coming in for a landing. The very tip of the tail cone is the spot for the white strobe. I don't think there are any other running lights on the Ranger but many aftermarket light positions for things like sun guns and such. Hope this helps.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:07 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,890 Posts
Thanks Don. I've come to the same conclusion -- namely that there's no fixed positions for most of the lights, provided they meet the visibility criteria in the regulations.

Interestingly, the white tail light is described on page 5 of the link in my post #3 as a position light, which I take it to mean it's solid like the red/green lights on the horizontal stabiliser, not a strobe. I've now installed two red strobes (in addition to the tail fin one), top and bottom, roughly at the positions shown in the diagram in my link.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:59 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
I have seen a number of videos of the Jet Ranger in flight and even the positional light on the tail can be as you see fit. The videos that I have looked at show that light as a strobe (double flash) and not a solid white light. I did find that on my 500MD TD it is a solid light and not a strobe as I thought it was like the Ranger in layout. I have first hand seen an AS350 at night, and the layout is even more sparse. Only the navigation lights on the horizontal tips, a red beacon on the top of the tail, and a white strobe at the tip of the fuselage tail. That and the twin landing lights in the nose. If it is a matter of something definitive, try calling a local helicopter service and see if they can spare a few minutes to help you with any specifics. They might have a Ranger or know of some outfit that does. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Oct 11, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2004
11,890 Posts
Thanks Don.

Apart from trying to be scale, more strobes is a help to me because I program my light controller so that the strobes will switch off when my flying time is up -- they start when my throttle first hits 50% -- in case I can't hear my transmitter beeps above the noise.