HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:45 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Discussion
Looking to returning to tanking - beed advice.

Hello all. It has been a very long time since I got out of tanking. I am considering getting back into it, but I don't have the funds I once had for it. I had a Tamiya 1/16 King Tiger set up with many extras. I would like to hear from users and customers only. Vendors, or anyone with a store or parts to sell, please do not respond yet. I am asking only those who buy and use the tanks at this time. I would like to know, what places are best for buying tanks as far as price, selection, and brands. Much of the tanking world has changed. I have read forums, but find myself spending to much time trying to keep track of advice. I have limited connection to here, so, gentlemen can you help me out? With the following please.

What are the best vendors to buy from (Prices and customer service)?
Who has the best selections?
What brand lines, have the most to offer, and in what sizes?
What are pros and cons of 1/16 vs 1/24, and is there that much of a difference in price, size, and performance - what about upgrades (I.E. metal tracks)

Thanks guys... I really hope for some good input so I can make it as painless as possible to get back into it. My last tank was over $1200 and that was some time ago. I know prices have come down, with many more choices. I know many tanks have issues, parts problems, mechanical issues, I would like to have something that is little to no headache. Thanks much! -Wing Zero
Wing Zero is offline Find More Posts by Wing Zero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:25 AM
North Plains Oregon
Joined Jul 2006
124 Posts
Tank

You don't say where you are so I will say buy from Tank Museum USA.
My choice would be Tamiya M 26. Gun elevation link is plastic, metal is better.
Darryl
Darryl Usher is online now Find More Posts by Darryl Usher
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Sorry, I was in a rush to post.

Thanks, I am from Michigan. I know I could search, and have, but I have a data limit, so email eats that up rather quickly. I was in a rush to type it on my phone. Thanks, i will have to check them out. I appreciate your reply.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:27 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
RE: Looking to return to tanking - need advice

As said before, go to http://shop.aaftankmuseum.com/ and shop around. I personally would start with either the Sherman, Tiger I or the Pershing.

The Sherman is expandable (aftermarket items) to quite a few different variants, even a different suspension is available.

HTH

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:19 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Feb 2008
112 Posts
I buy my Tamiya tanks from Artistic Hobbies and like them very much.
jeff489 is offline Find More Posts by jeff489
Old Jul 17, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
I am into 1:24 tanks. For the price of one Tamiya 1:16 you can have a company of
1:24 tanks. ( See my VS Tiger One Review ) . However if you want to build the best Tamiya is the way to go. I also like Artistic Hobbies , good service and advice.
Army Group Lodz is offline Find More Posts by Army Group Lodz
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Thanks..

I don't know anything about 1/24 scale tanks, or any of the manufactures. I thought I read it is hard to get parts and kits. I know Tamiya is the best, but I know many use to talk alot and were huge into Hen Long. But I don't see these so much, I do see Taigen, but it appears no one says much about them. Can you guys fill me in on these tanks? Hen Long verses Taigen...

And what about 1/24th scale... how hard are they to obtain, repair, upgrade? Limits? Thanks guys.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:07 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Wing Zero, 1:24 Tanks are RTR (ready to run) I like to modify them , paint and run them . Two main manufacturers : FOV (Forces of Valor ) they are big in the 1:35 scale soldiers and accessories . The do not produce RC Tanks anymore , however they are available in limited amounts and model selection. VS Tanks they are upgrading for a new line , their tanks are still available (older models) . Both lines can be found at a discounted price. At $ 150 retail (you can find them for less) the cost is way less than anything in 1:16 . I have 10 Tanks. The whole lot was less than a Tamiya "full option" 1:16 tank. Both my VS and FOV Tanks worked as advertised right out of the box. I have no problem handing the controller to any friend who drops by. (see how one feels with a tank that is over 1K ). Which brings me to why I am a 1:24 scale guy- War Gaming and TANK BATTLES............

Hope this helps,
-Howard-
Old Jul 20, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Breed advice continued.... Both manufactures provide sound, gun traverse , elevation. VS has a more sophisticated gun recoil. FOV uses two motors with individual track control ; VS one motor with proportional steering. VS has a great look. FOV has great sound. Now the down side FOV are sealed units ; if you strip the gears or leave it out in the rain -your are done. Vs has limited parts (motor units, gun controls) and they are hard to find. Most "clubs" are 1:16 or bigger.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 09:48 AM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Breed advice continued..... IR systems between FOV and VS are NOT compatable. I use both in battle , however. By using the real capabilities of the tanks gets around this . For example the T-34( FOV) fights the Panzer IV( FOV) and so does the Sherman 75mm (FOV) only one of my Tigers is FOV so both the T-34 and the Sherman have a 1 in 4 chance of knocking out a Tiger.
The rest of the Tigers are VS so the the guns of the T-34 and Sherman have no effect on them.
The KV-1s (VS) and the up gunned Sherman 105mm (VS) have to be called in to dispatch the rest of the Tigers (VS). The King Tiger is FOV so both the T-34 and the Sherman 75mm have a chance for that "lucky shot"..... This promotes team work for it is necessary for teams of tanks to clear the opposition from the battlefield.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Thanks for the help so far guys.

Thanks for the replies. 1/24 seems a bit small, nice size I agree, but I would like to run around outside. I think I would stick with a 1/16th. Looking at 1/24, they seem harder to get, and especially for parts. Can anyone chime in on the difference, likeness between the Hen Long, and Taigen models? How does each compare to teach other, and then to Tamiya? I know Tamiya is the best, but I have to watch my money. Can someone tell me about the quality of these tanks, and parts availability? Thank you much for all the help. Vendors, feel free to respond. And thank you all.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:14 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,014 Posts
HL tanks are considered toy grade tanks and need to have considerable upgrades done to come up to battle standards. Taigen tanks are HL tanks that have had some considerable upgrades, and are hobby grade tanks. Neither are compatible with the battle standard, Tamyia. Both can be upgraded though. HL will require more work and $ than the Taigen. It all depends on what you want to do with your tanks and how much you want to spend.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is online now Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
587 Posts
The scale 1/16 just has a larger parts support behind it and is relatively more popular. There's nothing wrong with 1/24 but it does have some built in limitations. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think they have an active suspension and the way they receive hits is a bit comical.

If I hadn't got started in 1/16, 1/24 and 1/25 would be another way to go with all the static models made in that scale and to them RC them too.

Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:25 PM
Joined May 2013
216 Posts
Jeff,
1:24 does have active suspension , however you are right that FOV with its "shaking" does look a little "comical" VS uses flashing lights with less movement to register hits.

-Howard-
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Dec 2003
289 Posts
Thanks so far guys! It helps.

Thanks to everyone for the help as I learn. I had to make massive changes in the way I live, letting go of everything, and trying to live simple with a few hobbies is hard. The cut back alone on the internet connection kills me.

Okay, so of all the Taigen tanks, what ones are the best. I blew through half my months Gig limit looking at sites. I see odd prices, and things that don't look the same. I seen a site "RC tanks of OKC" and I wonder, at the price. They look to good to be true for that price. Are they HL, Taigen? Looking at Vendors has be a bit, off on the search for a product. Of the Taigen tanks, or others, are there any problematic tanks I should be aware of? Thanks.