SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:32 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Discussion
New Projects

What have you got on the bench? Tell us all about it here.

RJ
rowdyjoe is online now Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:28 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Moved to the completed section.

Garry
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While surfing YouTube for RC plane videos I found many vids on scratch building foamies. One of the most prolific and easiest to build is a flying wing and I was impressed with how simple they really are. After watching a couple of "how to" vids, I looked around my "pile" and found that I have all of the makings for a 40" wing with a KF2 airfoil. I found several pieces of Dollar Tree foam and plenty of the pink insulation foam to do the build.
I've done most of the build and am trying to decide if I want to install an EDF or a brushless motor and prop. The EDF would be the easiest but, I think the brushless would perform better (????). I need to make a motor mount for the 28-30-9 motor I intend to use but, haven't figured that out yet.

Here's a picture of where I am so far. The EDF is tack glued in the approx. position for experimental purposes. The electronics and battery will mount on top but, I have them dangling from the bottom for test purposes.
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added info
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:25 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
I'm so excited about these scratch built wings that I've started another one before getting the first one flying good.
This new one is a 60" wing and will be powered by a 2814/8 @ 1100kv. It will develop approx. 380 watts and should power it nicely. This wing is built with the KFm4 airfoil and built with two sheets of 20"x30" foam board for the wings and two pieces of pink 1/2" foam board to form the KFm section on top and bottom. The KFm4 is supposed to be a bit faster and more aerodynamic with a symetrical airfoil (approx.).
Instead of sanding the leading edge shape by hand, I used my orbital sander and a couple of metal guides on top and bottom to help keep them uniform. I think they came out much better than the first one but, we'll find out when it flies.
I've got her all taped up with the servos and elevons connected and I've programmed the receiver and transmitter for elevon mixing. I still need to fab. the motor mount and get it mounted. I hope to make the first flight early next week.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 08, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:02 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Another Project Bird

I picked up a used bird yesterday that needs repair. A fellow club member had it at a price I couldn't refuse. It's the Great Planes Super Chipmunk and it came with a Zenoah G38 converted to CDI and a smoke system. This is my first smoker and I will probably need help figuring it out.
I spent some time working on it this afternoon and evening. As I understand it, it suffered a rough landing and ripped out the fixed gear. I've been patching that damage and getting it ready to patch the covering.
I forgot to take pictures while I had everything set up in the garage but, here's a link to the Great Planes site where you can see a picture and all of the info on it.

http://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpma1303.html

Garry
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Chipmunk update:
The repair and reconfiguration is coming along fine ...I'm making good progress. I re-plumbed the fuel and oil tanks today, fabricated a new landing gear strut, installed the fuel tank, installed ignition and receiver wiring and switches, re-installed the servo tray, and installed the throttle servo, elevator servos, and rudder servo. I bought a new AR7000 but, until it arrives I am using an old AR6100 for systems tests. Everything checks out fine so far.
I still need to apply the patches on the covering and a flying buddy has offered to help. He has some scrap Monokote of the three colors I need to make the repair.
I also need to install the aileron and flap servos and install the smoke tank

The project is picking up speed. I've removed everything I wanted to change and am now installing it the way I want it. I have two separate electrical systems and have ordered 2 LIFEPo batteries to run them. I have installed a 5v voltage regulator in line with the ignition just to be sure it's not getting more than it's rated for. I'm not familiar with this brand of ignition but, most of the early ones were limited to a max. of 6 volts. I'm glad it's working and want to keep it that way.

I hope to have her ready to fly next week. This is a nice looking old bird and it will be great to see it in the air again.

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:44 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
With the help of a friend, who is an expert at applying covering, we applied the correct colors of monokote to the repaired areas of the wings. He did a great job adn they look terrific.
I installed the aileron and flap servos this evening and got everything adjusted to neutral so, when my new receiver gets here all will be ready.
The muffler should be repaired and ready by now so, I can pick it up and install it.

She's getting close to our first flight together and I'm getting more excited. The smoke system won't be active for another week or so because I'm waiting for a couple of check valves to be delivered. I picked up a gallon of smoke oil from my friend today so, when the system is ready I will be too.
While messing around with the engine I noticed it didn't want to rotate in reverse. That's when I discovered it has a starter spring. I watched a couple of pilots starting their engines with spring starters and it appears to work quite well for them. Hope it works the same for me. Although, It should start fine by flipping it forward like we do all of the other gas engines. I hope to find out soon.

Garry
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:27 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
I assembled the Chipmunk last night just to see how it will look once it's ready for flight. I like it. Here's a couple pics. Don't pay any attention to the itty bitty wheels. They are very temporary.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:44 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Chipmunk update:
I installed the muffler and filled the tank and got the engine started. It ran great for the first 5 min. and then started surging rapidly. I think I have an air leak and the carb needs to be overhauled and cleaned anyway. The plane and engine have been sitting for at least a year and probably more. At least I know it will run and it pulled strong running an 18x8 prop. This will be a fun bird when I get it running right.
The check valves I was waiting for arrived yesterday so, I can complete the plumbing for the smoke system. However, I need to get the engine running well before I can think about smoke.
I have a carb kit on the way.

Garry
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:38 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Chipmunk update:
The air leak is resolved and now the engine runs very well. It still needs new gaskets, valves and diaphragm because it won't hold a decent idle. The airplane sat in disrepair for a year or more and the carb components dried out. Now the diaphragm is so stiff it won't pull fuel reliably a low RPM. It will idle for a while at a nice even 1800RPM but, will die after about 30 seconds. The transition and top end are very good. I peaked the high end at 7950RPM swinging an 18x8 Xoar prop. It pulls strong all the way through. However, it will run better after the carb gets overhauled. The kit should be here in a couple of days.

Garry
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:16 PM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Mar 2007
1 Posts
carb kit

if you cant find one try graves rc had to get one for neals stinger that i built for him!! graves had them in stock when no one else did!! also try b&b specialties!!!
mwhar760 is offline Find More Posts by mwhar760
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:46 AM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Thanks Mike but, I ordered one from a place call "Replacement Parts". I haven't found anything they don't have in the way of parts for the Walbro carbs. I have the kit on-hand and will install it soon.
This bird has been bumped to 2nd in line because the USPS has misrouted my new receiver. It was due to be delivered on the 19th but, has not shown up. The last tracking info came from Denton AFTER it had made it to the Ft. Worth PO. I can't figure out why it takes so long to correct their mistake and send it back to Ft. Worth. The longer it takes to get here the more "ticked off" I get. I ordered another new receiver for the Reactor Bipe I just picked up and it arrived today with no problem. Go figure.

Also got my muffler back from JTECH for the 15cc gasser on my H9 Camel. I installed it tonight and I'm ready to crank her up for a flight.
The Reactor is just about ready to fly too. I replaced the small tank with a larger one (didn't like that tiny 10oz tank) and installed the new receiver. Wow, this thing has some wild control surfaces. It has 4 ailerons and they are 4 inches wide each. The rudder looks like a barn door and the elevators look like huge fly swatters. I'll be dialing in mucho expo and tiny control deflections until I get accustomed to this bird. It has a 20cc Zenoah EI gasser on it that I hope to get running tomorrow.

Garry
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:00 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
UPDATE on the Chipmunk:
I put 3 flights on it yesterday. The first was a trim flight and I found it needed some programming. I added elevator and aileron throw and tweaked the high end of the carb. Second flight was much better, very smooth and the engine ran great in transition and high throttle. It still had a small amount of 4 stroking at the low end but, nothing to be concerned about. I refueled and took off for the third flight and she was trimmed out and flying very smooth, straight, and level. Inverted took very little forward stick and I started to put it through a few maneuvers ...loops, rolls, 1/2 cubans, immelman, etc. However, when I pulled the power back at the top of a hammer it died. The plane was at the north end and up high and heading down wind in a hurry I added full flaps hoping to slow it down enough to make a 180 to the runway but, was too low by the time I got to the turn. I managed a 90 deg. turn heading now toward the driveway and set it down in the rough just short of the junk pile and as soon as the wheels touched they struck a hole or rut and suddenly stopped. The left wing was ripped off and the inboard half was destroyed. The right wing suffered damage too but, is still mostly together.
It's a great flying bird and I hope I can repair it or get it repaired or find more wings for it. It's very graceful and my concerns about the G38 were put to rest. It pulls this plane very well. It doesn't have unlimited vertical but, it has enough.

If anyone has or knows who might have a set of wings, please let me know.

Garry
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:21 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Since my Reactor Bipe died a sudden and ugly death last weekend, I thought I'd buy another Biplane and press my luck. The Reactor made me a great admirer of high performance bipes in the short time I had it.

I just took delivery of a Great Planes Ultimate bipe (65" ws). I had my eye on this one before the Reactor died but, as long as the Reactor was flying I didn't need another one. Anyway, I studied the GP Ultimate hard before making he purchase. All reports are very good and there are several mods to make it more durable. It's reported to be a great performer with a 50cc engine mounted and I have one on hand to install. There must be a strong attraction to this bird as the RCU thread started in 2005 is still going strong today with approx. 6.5k posts.
Tower put this bird on sale and with the member discount it was a real bargain. I'll be taking my time with assembly and make sure I get everything right.

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 30, 2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: correction
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:00 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
I have an insane number of projects on the table right now. Must get a few complete soon for our upcoming warbird event.

Here are some highlights of what is on my bench (this covers most of the alrger models in work):

Repainted and improved Dynam Me-262.
Eflite Hawker Hurricane 25e-stock
Great Planes Dirty Birdie electric conversion for Senior pattern.
Eflite Super Cub 25e-stock
Seagull Miles Sparrowhawk .90, converted to Power 110 elerctic.
Seagul Percival Mew Gull .90, convered to Power 110 electric
79" giant scale foam P-40 for .60 electric and 6S power (from Banana Hobby, made by LX in China-stock
Scratch built/own design 80" electric Tupolev ANT-6/TB-2 four engine pre WWII heavy bomber.
84" kit built RB/WB-57F high altitude recconassiance aircraft (GD conversion of the Martin B-57 with larger wings and engines) This is from a Savage Brothers semi kit and was sold by EAM in Lewisville for a few years.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:57 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,320 Posts
Wow Tom. Are we gonna get to see you at the field anytime this year?

Garry