HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:59 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,855 Posts
Mistake?

Looking at the CX 3x2000 pdf manual, it seems to me that there is an error on page 2, with the pitch and elevator servo connections being mixed up. Can anyone with a 2000 confirm that the cyclic servos are connected as per the 1000, i.e. #1 aileron, #2 pitch and #3 elevator?
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:42 PM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
How come they erased the IC's laser marking? are these illegal parts? or stolen parts from the manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Sorry I didn't take more pictures of the HB, but this was about the Copterx. Maybe I should of been more clear. The HB looks like a first class production unit. The copterx looks like all the clone parts.
soneebee is offline Find More Posts by soneebee
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:19 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,668 Posts
They may have just gotten a really great deal on the chips with the understanding that the make and model numbers would be erased. If not the chips would of just been scrapped. The gyro companies say we will take them at 10cents on the dollar and we have the cheap labor to sand every chip.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:28 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soneebee View Post
How come they erased the IC's laser marking? are these illegal parts? or stolen parts from the manufacturer
I think they're just being coy about what they're using - a bit pointless, since you can see the controller is the same package as the CX one. I'd still like to know what mems chip the HB800 uses - it appears to be one of the two smaller units, both of which seem to have 32 pins compared with the 24 on the STM32F used on the CX.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:05 AM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post

Looking at the CX 3x2000 pdf manual, it seems to me that there is an error on page 2, with the pitch and elevator servo connections being mixed up. Can anyone with a 2000 confirm that the cyclic servos are connected as per the 1000, i.e. #1 aileron, #2 pitch and #3 elevator?
I can confirm this. Though I wouldn't say it is an error.

I followed the diagram and noticed the elevator and pitch servos were swapped during the first test. Then I noticed that the wiring instructions for a 120 deg swashplate were different than the diagram. The 120 deg configuration is the same for the 3X1000 and 3X2000

For 120 deg swash
Ch 1 Ail
Ch 2 Pitch / Aux
Ch 3 Ele

The wiring diagram shown on Pg 2 is for a swash setup OTHER than 120 degs, so it's not really an error. It would certainly make more sense if they specified which swash setup the diagram was for, or even provided a diagram for each swash type.

One other difference in terminology I noticed -
the manual says to put the brown wire on the Aux receiver channel. On my Spektrum receivers, Aux is Ch 6 (Pitch) and Gear is Ch 5 (Gain). So where it says to put the brown wire on Aux, change that to Gear and connect the yellow wire to Aux if using a Spek system.
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joined May 2006
1,237 Posts
the 10 cents a dollar will the the asp for these gyros.. the new one that are assembled from out plants cause more than that... and selling by the manufacturer will be running on the dollar plus or so...

It was kinda strange that china erased markings although if you try to look at the packaging these came from reputable semiconductor manufacturers..and are legitimate IC's

The new gyros that we are packaging are not QFP's these will be smaller and package in a more smaller outline package... It may become more more cheaper as time progress as these wafers get more mass produced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
They may have just gotten a really great deal on the chips with the understanding that the make and model numbers would be erased. If not the chips would of just been scrapped. The gyro companies say we will take them at 10cents on the dollar and we have the cheap labor to sand every chip.
soneebee is offline Find More Posts by soneebee
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:41 AM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
for the picture of the gyro with servo leads to it, yes that is correct, i followed the directions to a "t" and ended up with a pretty good setup, some of it you need to read between the lines or lookup because the "chineglish" isn't very good in some spots
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:03 AM
new kid on the block
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
oh and 2doggs, i tired your trick with the compensation on the tail for the cyclic and at least from indoor testing, the tail feels much more solid, i have no idea why, but thanks!
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:04 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
I can confirm this. Though I wouldn't say it is an error.

I followed the diagram and noticed the elevator and pitch servos were swapped during the first test. Then I noticed that the wiring instructions for a 120 deg swashplate were different than the diagram. The 120 deg configuration is the same for the 3X1000 and 3X2000

For 120 deg swash
Ch 1 Ail
Ch 2 Pitch / Aux
Ch 3 Ele

The wiring diagram shown on Pg 2 is for a swash setup OTHER than 120 degs, so it's not really an error. It would certainly make more sense if they specified which swash setup the diagram was for, or even provided a diagram for each swash type.

One other difference in terminology I noticed -
the manual says to put the brown wire on the Aux receiver channel. On my Spektrum receivers, Aux is Ch 6 (Pitch) and Gear is Ch 5 (Gain). So where it says to put the brown wire on Aux, change that to Gear and connect the yellow wire to Aux if using a Spek system.
Yes, you're right, the diagram would work for a 90 degree (mechanically mixed) swash. It's an odd choice, however, since I suspect those are a real rarity these days. The 3x1000 manual avoids the problem by not having an equivalent diagram. Since the diagram is so large and clear, I think it will lead many noobs with 120 degree helis to hook up their servos incorrectly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:00 PM
new kid on the block
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
just kidding, took it outside and it was worse, the stupid thing is like constantly changing... i'll have it good one time, and then the next day its all messed up...
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:06 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
just kidding, took it outside and it was worse, the stupid thing is like constantly changing... i'll have it good one time, and then the next day its all messed up...
that sounds like a mechanical setup issue. Double check for any sort of binding, bad tail grip bearings and so on. Try operating the tail linkage with the heli running with the main blades off, it should give you a good idea of how much force is needed to move the tail under load. Try using a bit of lube on the slider.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:40 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.michael.2468 View Post
for the picture of the gyro with servo leads to it, yes that is correct, i followed the directions to a "t" and ended up with a pretty good setup, some of it you need to read between the lines or lookup because the "chineglish" isn't very good in some spots
Following these directions too closely can cause a lot of frustration.

In the diagram, it shows CH2 going to the elevator / pitch servo. I checked the CX programming software and John_NZ's software and all swash configurations (even 90 deg) have CH1 and CH2 on the two side servos (ail and aux) and CH3 on the elevator. The only swash type that has CH2 on the elevator is "Mechanical Mixing".

Mechanical Mixing only uses two servos, so the diagram is wrong for that configuration as well. It would have no servo connected to CH3 under this configuration.

Since the diagram is wrong for every type of swash configuration the CX2000 understands I retract my statement about it not being an error.

In any case, following this diagram will result in incorrect servo wiring.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:08 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
12,668 Posts
I see everyone talking about the manual and johns software. Has anyone tried the copterx2000 software. I have it on my computer and it seems really nice. I had to order the usb hook up because I forgot I sold mine.

Just checked that software and it shows 1 aileron 2 pitch and 3 elevator.
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:18 PM
An Ordinary User
Joined Jan 2011
1,270 Posts
I tried the CX 3X2000 software from the KY Model website first. I'm so used to John_NZ's software that it only took me a few minutes with the "other software" to realize how good John's is.

The CX software doesn't let you switch between tabs in the Setup interface and the only way to change values that have a slider is by actually using the slider - no typing directly into the text box. These are all things I didn't like about the CX program for the 3X1000. I guess they have never used John_NZ's program and don't know what a well-done UI should be like.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:23 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,855 Posts
In fairness to CX, the version 2 software is definitely an improvement over the earlier one, and it displays better on my pc's. As you say, however, John_NZ's FBL program is more polished, and I like being able to switch directly between tabs rather than having to always use the "Next" or "Previous" buttons.

The one thing I still find a bit buggy though, and I think sp00fman has also mentioned this, is that the arrow keys on the right side of the cyclic servo trim window don't always work correctly - which is a real shame, since with one click, you can adjust all three cyclic servos, as opposed to adjusting each servo individually with the sliders on the left side. I've not checked this in the CX software though, since I've used John_NZ's software from the get go.
RCG Plus Member