HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:45 PM
Graham W
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
What follow on from a trainer?

Hello All,
I have just passed my BMFA A certificate which I took with a 60" high wing trainer weighing 6Lb with an SC46 engine.
I am wondering what plane to get next. I've looked at the Black Horse Angel (midwinger) and the Seagull PC9 60". I want a plane that will handle wind well, not be prone to bad tip stalling and preferably a built up ARTF.

What would you recommend? Thanks guys.
grahamandcath is offline Find More Posts by grahamandcath
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:51 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,038 Posts
IMO everybody should have a Super Sportster in their line up. With a larger diameter, low pitch prop (like an 11x5) and mild control deflections, it's a stable, docile flyer... with a smaller diameter, higher pitch prop (10x7) and moderate to large control deflections it can tear up the sky with the best of them.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVR1&P=0
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:03 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,677 Posts
Well I guess you're in the UK so you're more or less obliged to have a WOT 4 some time and this would be a reasonable time to start .

Or if you want something a bit prettier there's always the new Acrowot ARTF.

Both meet your requirements though the WOT 4 is a bit easier to fly.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:54 AM
United States, CA, Corning
Joined Jul 2012
26 Posts
An Escapade 40 or 60 size. Very much like the Super Sportster but built a bit stronger.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVXN8&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAMXN&P=0
DWayneN is offline Find More Posts by DWayneN
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
USA, IN, Norman
Joined Nov 2007
168 Posts
While I am not familiar with requirements in the UK, I'd like to recommend the Venus. Though it's a pattern plane, it flies like it's on rails. It was the third plane I had, being afraid of something so "sporty". I was shocked at how stable and smooth it was. On low rates it's very tame.

The only caveat is that it goes where you point it. There is no self-correction. That being said, it makes for some of the softest and easiest landings I've ever had, assuming you are ok with tail-draggers.
RCB1 is offline Find More Posts by RCB1
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:42 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
986 Posts
Everyone needs a " Stick ". Even in the UK . ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:21 PM
Garfield is my Pilot
Joined May 2011
201 Posts
Four Star if you can find one. Super slow landings, and gives plenty of stall warning, yet can axial roll, square corner loops, inverted flight, Really a nice plane to fly. I have a 120 but am itching to get a 40 to put my Magnum 52 on.
acdii is offline Find More Posts by acdii
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
I realy like my escapade 40
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
755 Posts
+1 on a stik. I would stay away from the pc9. I have one and they are definitely not a good second plane. They land pretty hot and tip stall quickly.
kimchiyuk is online now Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:46 PM
Joined May 2012
432 Posts
Escapade, Super Sportster or stick, I like all three but I like them in a 60 size. A 4* tends to put young pilots to sleep pretty quick as they advance. I do use the 4* 60 to teach building and I have to clip the wing and add a bigger engine to keep younger pilots awake. Something harder to do to an ARF. I used the Super Sportster before the 4* to teach building but the 4* is just an easier kit to build. I'm now going back to the SS 60 kit to teach with again. Pick the plane that you like the best though. Like a 4* but a bit better flyer is the Pulse from Horizon Hobby. Look around for one you really like though, don'tlet others pick your planes.
Gray Beard is offline Find More Posts by Gray Beard
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Graham W
Joined Jun 2012
11 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Plenty to think about there.
grahamandcath is offline Find More Posts by grahamandcath