HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by orange&white, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:54 AM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
It isn't one of the Sterling PT-17 plans that are up on HPA?
Nope. It's the 64.5 in wingspan Sterling Stearman PT-17 from here : http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3704 The big one. The one Edubarca found.

Sterling kit number FS-20
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Last edited by WMD; Jan 26, 2013 at 05:02 AM. Reason: kit number
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:50 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,320 Posts
Ahhh... I see: You already had the construction plan but the new file has the parts...
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:08 AM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,283 Posts
Kestrel

All,

Has anyone ever built the Kestrel by Dave Robelen ?......she's a 73" glider.

If so, do you have any tips, tricks, or traps regarding construction. I couldn't find any building instructions anywhere. Does anyone know if they exist ?

The plans are terrific, but without some verbage, I'd be wandering around behind the little animals so to speak.

Thanks,

O_P
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Doppelpfeil Maiden
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,283 Posts
Kestrel II

I should have mentioned that she was in MAN, Sept 1968, which I don't have
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:38 AM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
M m m must have print wood....
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:38 AM
Granby, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
953 Posts
Mam'selle

Thanks for posting the construction article. Much obliged.
PeterH is offline Find More Posts by PeterH
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:44 AM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
how to fix ziggy lines

i have read every thing nobody talk about how to fix ziggy line in plans when you resize them here is a sample im trying to fix thanks for any help
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:54 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
+1 1967250s CAD drawings seem sterile in comparison.
CAD is cold, sterile, and has no human feelings or warmth, I still prefer hand drawings. I just dislike CADS drawings. They are good for architect or engineering plans but not for model airplanes.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:32 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
649 Posts
Mam'selle

I took the time this morning to OCR Sundancer's post. This should be easier to read.
Geen
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:41 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
CAD is cold, sterile, and has no human feelings or warmth, I still prefer hand drawings. I just dislike CADS drawings. They are good for architect or engineering plans but not for model airplanes.
I agree but the laser doesn't like hand drawings. So they can serve a purpose even in model airplanes.
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:25 AM
Pencil grip
Olympia, WA
Joined Feb 2008
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast View Post
i have read every thing nobody talk about how to fix ziggy line in plans when you resize them here is a sample im trying to fix thanks for any help
I believe those are pixels my friend, which indicates a super low res scan. Need more data, which means a higher resolution scan.
hoffboy is offline Find More Posts by hoffboy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:15 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechannelmast View Post
If your scanning use a higher resolution at the bare minimum 300 dpi with 400 to 600dpi for best results. Anything more you're just adding information to the file you don't need. Don't scan in color instead scan in gray scale then import into Photo Shop ( or GUMP ) and adjust your contrast and brightness. Straighten the image and then posterize. Using your paint brush clean up what ever needs to be cleaned in the image. Finally, enlarge to your desired scale and convert to Black and White. ( Not necessarily in that order )

That's about it in a nutshell. There are several tutorials on how to do it in this thread and also on theouterzone. It take practice to get a good drawing from a scan and depending on the drawing it can take anywhere from several minutes to several days to clean to a useful design.

Don't expect your results to look like PlaneMan's the first several tries as it again takes practice through trial and error on your settings and how you manipulate the scans.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:43 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubarca View Post
Kinda depends on how you look and intrepid the drawing. After scanning all those magazine plans several months ago, while cleaning the scan you could see where the person that drew the original for the magazine had "tapped" there pencil or smudged a line. After removing the "junk" these drawings POPPED. Same thing happens in CAD with a sterile background resulting in less interference to the eyes resulting (IMHO) a more accurate model.

The other big plus, I have over 4000 designs and if they were all hard copy I would literally be tossed to the street by my wife, no place to store that much paper. 4000 drawings is just a tic on my 4gig net drive and if I need a hard copy my Calcamp takes about fifteen minutes for the largest I've ever plotted.

CAD is also ideal for laser cutting as cutting by hand is almost out of the formula anymore. Nothing like having laser cut leading and trailing edges cut for that elliptical wing or spars cut that just drop in to align the ribs where hand cut would just not cut the mustard.

So, all in all, both have there place in design as I wouldn't want to go to a work site and not be able to see all the drawings laid out on a on a table for reference, however I like to be able to turn on and off layers to get a better picture of the entire project.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:22 PM
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Pilot View Post
I should have mentioned that she was in MAN, Sept 1968, which I don't have
Here is a copy of the construction article from the September 1968 issue of M.A.N.

Ralph B
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,283 Posts
Kestrel Text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph B View Post
Here is a copy of the construction article from the September 1968 issue of M.A.N.

Ralph B
Thank you so much
RCG Plus Member