HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2010, 09:55 AM
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2008
388 Posts
Thanks Daniel, makes good sense. Just thought I'd ask.
gobigkahuna is offline Find More Posts by gobigkahuna
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2010, 11:43 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSTECH View Post
For our European customers who are waiting for their Dragon OSD+.

There may be some delays in shipping due to the volcano ashes which is floating around the Atlantic from the eruption in Iceland. This of course is out of our control so please be patient.

John
It's amazing here, it's so quiet without the planes an no contrails in the sky. I live close to Heathrow Airport and I'd love to fly my plane really high now there's no risk, but I want the GPS first. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for my GPS to arrive...by airmail AAAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Apr 18, 2010, 06:04 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Mike you are a natural comedian, I bet you are totally fun to hang out in person!

John
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Apr 18, 2010, 08:47 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2006
1,279 Posts
all is well..got the ppm (rx futaba r168df) solve with the help of Racerx208..a big thanks to him..;..
everything in the ez star..a little crowded, she ready to go.. its too windy today 40mph windsmaybe 2morrow...
was doing some range checking..when i turn off the tx, rudder makes a left turn in increments then the elevaton kicks up.. AUTOPILOT..... it there a way to test this while on the ground? any tips?
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:13 AM
Fly the Discombooberator!
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
mark,

That is correct. One way some people have chosen to do it is to have the autopilot control the rudder and the elevator. That way you retain full control of your ailerons, with differential and whatever other mixes you want.

Of course, elevon mixing is a special case and once I get back from Australia, I will look into possibly enabling elevon mixing.

Bear in mind that this OSD was conceived to be a kind of cheap OSD, not meant to provide full-blown UAV features. I mean, it did sell at USD99 for the most part. Please think of all the extras as bonuses and compare it to other OSDs in the same price range. One of the limitations that came from trying to make it so small is that I was no able to provide 3 PWM outputs. As you can see, there is a spare channel but I was unhappy with the jitter and so I disabled that. The way I figure this is that, for USD99, you'd be hard pressed to find an OSD with half as many features anyway. Nevertheless, I will endeavour to push the hardware as far as it can go.

At a much later stage, I may put out a no-holds barred OSD with UAV features that will be a bit bigger but will have more hardware I/O capabilities.

Daniel
Daniel, Guys - don't know whether I am missing anything here, but even on the latest firmware (6.1) switching off the TX does not default to autopilot, it jitters between menus, because the PPM signal is just square wave (rail to rail 5v) switching noise with no received RF. Anyone else found this??

Thanks
magnetman is offline Find More Posts by magnetman
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:32 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,230 Posts
Sure, was the first to signal this
And Daniel confirmed this OSD features based on PPM stream analysis are useless for pure PPM RC users.
It seems we must buy a PCM Rx, fortunately they are cheap now, due to 2.4GHz.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Apr 19, 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:54 AM
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Sure, was the first to signal this
And Daniel confirmed this OSD features based on PPM stream analysis are useless for pure PPM RC users.
It seems we must buy a PCM Rx, fortunately they are cheap now, due to 2.4GHz.
Thanks Renatoa, so the only way to use the failsafe function from your RX (if it has one, such as mine - MZK SEXTA) is to re extact the PPM stream from the normal RX channel outputs, using some of the add ons that I have seen mentioned. Now you have a PPM stream with failsafe function included.

You don't necessarily need a PCM RX, one such as the MZK SEXTA has a failsafe function.
Last edited by magnetman; Apr 19, 2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: more info
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:13 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,230 Posts
Thank you, for 49 Eur I get a 9ch PCM receiver new
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:14 AM
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Thank you, for 49 Eur I get a 9ch PCM receiver new

But you would still need to decode the channel outputs for PPM stream use on the DOSD?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:53 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,230 Posts
Sure, 3-4 Eur components, doing myself.
Does it means Sexta features PPM out plug ?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:07 AM
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
The new guy is asking....

Just ordered mine

Now i wonder if i dont want to configure or change anything on the osd in the air can i use the trainer port output to set up the osd on the ground instead of hooking up some reciever modification to start with?

I have a Futaba 12 FG 6 pin output with square connector. Also i have the
R6008HS Reciever wich has a data output. is this a serial output? or is it some Futaba specific output?

What modifications do i have to do on my OSD when it arrives to hook it up with my camera and video tx (no GPS, no Current sensor)?

Cheers
Daniel
Bx3mE is offline Find More Posts by Bx3mE
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
Joined Nov 2003
438 Posts
Quote:
Sure, 3-4 Eur components, doing myself.
Does it means Sexta features PPM out plug ?

Yes, not quite a plug, but if you solder a wire to this point on the SEXTA Rx, plus a ground return
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3151119
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:34 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx3mE View Post
...Now i wonder if i dont want to configure or change anything on the osd in the air can i use the trainer port output to set up the osd on the ground instead of hooking up some reciever modification to start with?
You need the PPM stream anyway for the rth function, either automatic or on demand.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:53 AM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bx3mE View Post
Just ordered mine

Now i wonder if i dont want to configure or change anything on the osd in the air can i use the trainer port output to set up the osd on the ground instead of hooking up some reciever modification to start with?

I have a Futaba 12 FG 6 pin output with square connector. Also i have the
R6008HS Reciever wich has a data output. is this a serial output? or is it some Futaba specific output?

What modifications do i have to do on my OSD when it arrives to hook it up with my camera and video tx (no GPS, no Current sensor)?

Cheers
Daniel

Renatoa is right, you are restricting the usefulness of what DOSD+ can do if you don't connect it to your receiver, but in answer to your question YES you can set up this way if you want. I don't know about your radio but I get PPM from my DX6i trainer socket and it will plug straight into DOSD+ PPM input

for connections you will need to buy yourself some connectors for headers. PPM uses a 3-way just like a servo connector, the Video connector uses 4-way. for powering the board you can use 2-way or JST or connect an unused servo wire from your reciever to the DOSD and jumper the servo power to the power pin by soldering under the board or using a wire with connectors you can make.

look at the first post on this thread there are links to a board connection diagram, you can see what you will need. I used these: http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/TheMod...34Q2ec0Q2em322
MikeTheCrash is online now Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Apr 19, 2010, 05:01 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Joined Mar 2010
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
I get PPM from my DX6i trainer socket and it will plug straight into DOSD+ PPM input.
Mike - you set up your DOSD+ without using the rx? or was the above quote an example of what could be done? With a PPM encoder you would not need to connect the DOSD+ up to the DX6i that way?
badlands is online now Find More Posts by badlands
RCG Plus Member