HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:34 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Discussion
South of the River Park Flyers

We have a semi-regular group that use to meet at Murdoch Reserve (Farrington Rd between Nth Lake and Murdoch Dve) south of Perth, to fly (and crash) our assorted parkflyers every weekend or so.

Now we now mainly meet at Sutherlands Park on Southern River Rd most Saturday mornings.

Not an official flying venue so common sense and respect to those booking the ovals (footy/cricket) always applies.

We are not are club and its all very informal so I thought I'd start this thread so we can keep each other in the loop for when we can meet down there and debrief etc.
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63
Last edited by Goody63; Oct 01, 2012 at 10:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2009, 01:38 AM
R/C Airplane Executioner
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
1,938 Posts
That Extra brings back some nice memories.
maiden-crash is offline Find More Posts by maiden-crash
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:38 AM
No RC will end without a fight
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
211 Posts
I will definately come next meetings... I am not coming this week because muy P51 is Totalled... SAD!!!!
FlyingBaby is offline Find More Posts by FlyingBaby
Old Apr 11, 2009, 07:33 AM
Aussie 3DHS Addict :-)
Port Denison, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
I see Piers firebird in the pic - did he have a fly with it?
WOOSHKA is offline Find More Posts by WOOSHKA
Old Apr 11, 2009, 09:38 AM
Joined Feb 2009
11 Posts
A sad loss and sorry I couldn't be there, I'll have a word with the boss tomorrow. Next time we'll make sure I'm on an RDO and can get there, the Pitts needs a run.
whiskey oscar is offline Find More Posts by whiskey oscar
Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:10 AM
Go fly ... be free
Baldivis Western Australia
Joined Jul 2008
67 Posts
Whoosh ... You bet I did. I used a AR6100 but had to push the Lipo towards the nose to get it within CoG limits. Last flight of the day, motor bearing came loose and locked up, had to glide it in, geez it glides so nicely. Got to take it home in one piece. Not so lucky with the other model though.....

... Heart broken
Bungraman is offline Find More Posts by Bungraman
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:20 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey oscar
A sad loss and sorry I couldn't be there, I'll have a word with the boss tomorrow. Next time we'll make sure I'm on an RDO and can get there, the Pitts needs a run.
Don't know if we are planning any midweek flying at this stage???
Old Apr 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
Bungraman , the cap or the extra ? surprising about the bearing seizing up , - prob be easy enough to replace tho
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:41 PM
Go fly ... be free
Joined Jul 2008
67 Posts
Hi Woosh, It was the Firebird, the bearing slipped out forcing the motor to seize. Thank god it glides well. Gonna look for another motor to fit, any idea on the KV rating of that motor?

TQ
Old Apr 11, 2009, 11:47 PM
Go fly ... be free
Joined Jul 2008
67 Posts
I killed the Addiction ......

The Extra is mine and the Cap is Goody's
Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:02 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,629 Posts
I think off memory that was a 3200 kv motor , the hobbylobby version comes with a 3500 kv but with a 3 blade impellor
or this one http://shop.eflypower.com/shop/views.asp?hw_id=1108
Old Apr 13, 2009, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2 Posts
After seeing some of the action on Saturday morning (was v. impressed by the cool F16) I couldn't help myself but impulse buy a hobbyzone supercub rtf I found later that day.

I just had the maiden flight this morning at Murdoch with some interesting results, here is my detailed flight report:

No wind made for ideal 1st flight test. Unfortunately, the field was set up for a rugby carnival as they had several fields marked out and the oval was sparsely covered by numerous goals - what are the chances of having a problem with that .

I actually tried a rolling take off first off, but the field was too rough and the cub ended up on her nose (incident #1). Silly thing to do in hindsight and a bit of soil was added to the engine cowling.

Right hand launch with controller in left hand worked suprisingly well. The cub flew off like a winner. Did a couple of wonky circular patterns testing the controls and getting slightly pannicky if it got too far away. This plane is ridiculously easy to fly. Only problem was my bad control inputs as nothing I did was instinctual at all, maybe there are some benefits to simulators dammit.

Eventually thought I'd attempt a landing. Came in and found myself heading towards a goal post, turned suddenly to avoid. Goalpost successfully avoided, the ground I didn't avoid so much the cub stalled into it nose first. (incident #2).
Damage report - some more soil added to engine cowling and wing out of alignment.

Straightened the wing up again and hand launched easily again. Same flight pattern as above except this time when I came in to land I again was heading towards a different goalpost . Not to be caught out a second time, I maintained direction and assumed I would miss it. Sadly I managed to hit the pole about half way along the port wing at half power. Cub then spun down into the ground from 3/4 goalpost height. (incident #3)
Damage report - A smaller than expected pole sized ding in port wing, and the usual soil addition. Reasonably tough plane this supercub.

Took off on what was the last flight. Cub was all over the shop as the she wanted to climb and turn even when maximum trim applied. Could still control with the joysticks but it felt pretty ugly. Ignored manual instructions on landing (zero off throttle at around 10 feet) and turned off the throttle at ~90 feet. Cub glided suprisingly well and slowly came down to an ugly nose stand. (incident #4).
Damage report - Problem identified as the rudder/elevator assembly coming partially adrift from fuselage causing the control issues.

While looking at the rudder/elevator a bit of easterly sprung up. Then the rudder/elevator looked like it needed a bit more serious attention. I called further flights off - much to the disappointment of amused bystanders.

So the maiden flight was not without incident. Fortunately, the cub took it all like a champ and was very forgiving too.
Will fix the controls and be ready to entertain you all at the next murdoch session.
chris_73 is offline Find More Posts by chris_73
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:04 AM
The Hippy
Perth - Australia
Joined Nov 2008
233 Posts
Excellent to hear Chris
Those goal posts have a habit of jumping out, haha.

Brilliant write up and good results. Least you took the home in a peice and repairs are easiy.
Look forward to seeing it out and about
ddoth is offline Find More Posts by ddoth
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:13 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,924 Posts
Well done Chris.

Great report.

And if its any consulation, I've collected the odd post myself down there (whilst doing my Red Bull impersonation).

But that supercub sounds the type of plane that you'll probably always want to keep - even after you get your F16!

Starting to look okay for midday this Saturday (sports carnivals aside).

Look forward to seeing your new plane.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:20 AM
Joined Feb 2009
11 Posts
Goody63 is mean

Saturday arvo sounds about right, will be starting my shift about then . Do you look at the roster before planning these things ? If you do, then you are just a mean man. See you tomorrow!
whiskey oscar is offline Find More Posts by whiskey oscar