HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, OH, Conneaut
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Help!
Replacing the S033G PCB with S33 PCB

I was flying the S033G in the basement and for some reason it kept cutting off like the S33 did at first ... I checked the battery with my multimeter and it was reading 9V ... it's getting plenty of juice so something must be up with the PCB ... don't know what.

I bought a S33 PCB to put in the S033G ... do the wires go in the same slots in the S33 PCB as the ones in the S033G? Nothing wrong with the transmitter because I was able to fly the S023G with it ... no problem. I don't understand what is going on. I charged the battery in the heli so that shouldn't be the problem ... hopefully changing the PCB will solve the problem. Will the new board fit like the old one?
Spirittoo is offline Find More Posts by Spirittoo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:53 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
992 Posts

Spirittoo,

All the wires on the s033G plug into the same sockets as they are on the s33. Only one of the mounting screw holes on the pcb will line up with the holes in the frame. I just drilled another hole and used a longer screw to get the pcb mounted solid.

You shouldn't have any trouble with putting the wires in the right sockets as they will only go one way, Just be sure that you plug the motors into the right sockets, or you might see the magic smoke.

J
Jim Lee is online now Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:52 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
i tried putting the s33 pcb into the s033g heli and it did not work, the blades spun irratically. i just did a quick switch and did not try to trouble shoot what the problem was.
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:31 AM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
992 Posts

dwtriac23,

Gosh, I don't know why your s33 pcb won't work with the s033G. Jim (Oregoncoast) put his s33 pcb in the s033G and it worked fine. In fact, it worked so well, that he lost it when it got too high and the wind carried it out into the wetlands. He still hasn't recovered it.

I didn't get a chance to try mine, as I burned up the s33 pcb, when I forgot to change the motor with the red/black leads back to the stock configuration. (I had to reverse the leads when I was using the DH9118 pcb) I also burned up the motor with the red/black leads. I tried putting in a new motor, But it wouldn't run, So I figured that I'd burnt up the pcb as well. I've given up on trying to convert the s033G. I just went ahead and ordered another s33.

I then dismantled the s033G and will use it for parts. I've already used the canopy, the modified tail rotor blades, and the vertical tail rotor decorative piece on my new s33.

I have three s33's now and they are all working fine. It's really nice to be able to take them outdoors and not have to worry about them dropping signal. The only thing I have to worry about now, is my over zealous flying style.

J
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:51 PM
keep um between the tree's
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
847 Posts
new video

hi jim lee ,
sounds like the s33 is doing good, glad to hear no signal loss so far.how about a new video featuring the s33 please.i should receive my s33g tomorrow sometime.ups said the 19th and im ready suppose to rain though .
kildar is offline Find More Posts by kildar
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:44 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
992 Posts
new video

Hi kildar,

I should have made a new one earlier this week, when the weather was better. I'll get one made as soon as the weather co-operates.

I hate it when I get a new Heli and the weather won't co-operate, So I can fly it outside. If I really get antsy, I pull the cars out of the garage and fly it in there. Actually it's better to fly it in the garage the first time as it's easier to trim .

J
Last edited by Jim Lee; Feb 20, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:31 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
992 Posts
New Syma S33 Video. Just for Kildar

Kildar,

The weather turned out better than forecast today, So we got out the old trusty Syma S33 2.4GHz Heli and shot a little bit of video..

Did you get your S33 today? If you did, Did you get a chance to fly it?

J

Syma S33 Flying in the Backyard 02/19/2013 (4 min 33 sec)
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:42 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Argyll and Bute
Joined Oct 2012
565 Posts
Nice Vid Jim! Glad to hear the s33's are so good. I broke a top blade on mine in NZ and since Syma spares don't seem to exist there it's been out of action since.
Has anyone used an s33 pcb succesfully yet in an s033g? I would like to get the power back again to handle the Scottish weather.
I'm in South Korea ( homeward bound) now and looking forward to some home flying again.Couldn't fit the Supercub in the baggage sadly so will have to get one for home use since I have got the floats in the case at least Cheers!
drambuidhe is offline Find More Posts by drambuidhe
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:59 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
992 Posts
S33 pcb in S033G

Hi drambuidhe,

Thanks.

Jim (Oregoncoast) successfully completed the changeover from the 27MHz to the Syma S33 pcb in his SO33G. Shortly afterwards, He was checking on how high he could get it, and the upper winds got ahold of it and the last he seen of it, It was heading out into the Oregon Wetlands. Jim seemed to think that the power was the same as it was when the 27MHz pcb was it it.

I changed mine over and in my hurry to get it airborne and see if the power came back, I forgot to change the wires back on the motor that I had reversed the wires, So I could use the SH9118 pcb. When I turned everything on and applied throttle, It burned up the pcb and the motor.

I decided to dismantle the SO33G and use it for parts. I bought another S33 and used the modified parts of my SO33G on it. The canopy, tail rotor blades and the vertical decorative piece, just ahead of the tail rotor motor. It flys very well and is the quitest one that I have. That will probably change as soon as I crash it.

Can you get replacement blades and idler gears for the SO33G when you get back home? I checked XHeli where I buy most of my spare parts, But they are out of both the blades and the idler gears.

J
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
One Socket Short!!!

Well sir ... I was following your photo as best I could, but when I was changing the wires there is one medium socket on the S33 PCB and two on the S033 Board ... where does the extra wire go? ... looks like one is to the power switch ... the other goes to the rotor motor ... so what's up with that? Got to have both but with this S33 board there is no way to hook it up. There is something on the side of the S33 board, but it has too many pins to hook up to anything. And there is a red socket on the S033 but not the S33 so I guess it doesn't matter where those small sockets go.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:45 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
992 Posts
One Socket Short!!!

Spirittoo,

Here's a custom, state of the art drawing of the wiring diagram for the S33.

you shouldn't have any wires left over. If, you can, please post a photo showing us the offending wire.

J
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
Here you go ....

The offending wire goes to the power switch ...no other sockets to hold it ...it's the wire next to the antenna wire ...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:45 PM
scratch-built
Joined Apr 2007
992 Posts
Here you go ....

Spirittoo,

I think I see what's going on. The replacement S33 pcb doesn't come with the power switch. You will have to cut the plug off of the power switch wires and solder them to the S33 pcb.

J
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:09 PM
keep um between the tree's
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Feb 2013
847 Posts
hi all,jim lee

thanks for the video jim lee.you make it look so easy and now i know its not now .made my first flight today with my new 033g with training skids on (thank god).it was a bit breezy out but i could not wait =mistake #uno.thought i would just try to get a hoover going in asphalt parking lot next door =bad ideal .first time up seemed ok then i got alttle to high and lost my orienation.dropped the throttle= blam=broke one training skid leg.

after that i removed training skids and went to the park=where i should have been to start with.anyways i was doing good at getting it up but i guess the breeze was just to much for it and it kept drifting away from me=scared me.i do know what the meaning "gone with the wind " means now lol.i see now i have alot to learn about flying this thing the right way.all and all i think i did ok for no stick time at all.heli is intact .i chipped one of my blades ,very small piece off the end of lower blade.should i shelve it till i can replace or can i still fly it ?
kildar is offline Find More Posts by kildar
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
115 Posts
I see what you mean

Okay Jim ... we'll do ... now I know you stated you drilled a hole in the pcb and used a longer screw to hold it down ... I don't think I can do that with out damaging the board ... and I doubt I have a screw long enough that would fit ... I must find another way to hold it down.