HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:00 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
I will post back and let you all know how it goes, if anyone is interested!
Sure. We want to hear your experiences.

I've now got 16 flights on mine and I'm convinced it's just about ideal. I can usually find fault with some (or many) aspects of these inexpensive foamies but this plane just doesn't have any glaring issues.
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 07:38 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
196 Posts
Took her up for about 6 flights today.....WOW!!!

This plane has enough thrust to take off from the ground (in a grassy field), it has the power to do a very nice climb, I am just impressed! I had a couple of scary moments which were largely due to my inexperience, but I had enough power in the motor to get me out of trouble. I honestly wish I had bought this plane first, as opposed to that Superfly X RTF (worst $150 I've ever spent).

My only concern with this is range. While I still get quite a good distance with this plane, I noticed that I was having delayed responses when I got really high up (I don't have a good enough eye to tell you what distance). The transmitter is a tiny little thing, only requiring 4x AA batteries, and it fits very comfortably in my hands.

For the $83 (after taxes, and locally picked up), it was well worth my money. I would definitely recommend this plane for any beginner (with a buddy to teach you).
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:21 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:

This plane has enough thrust to take off from the ground (in a grassy field), it has the power to do a very nice climb, I am just impressed! I had a couple of scary moments which were largely due to my inexperience, but I had enough power in the motor to get me out of trouble. I honestly wish I had bought this plane first, as opposed to that Superfly X RTF (worst $150 I've ever spent).

My only concern with this is range. While I still get quite a good distance with this plane, I noticed that I was having delayed responses when I got really high up (I don't have a good enough eye to tell you what distance). The transmitter is a tiny little thing, only requiring 4x AA batteries, and it fits very comfortably in my hands.

For the $83 (after taxes, and locally picked up), it was well worth my money. I would definitely recommend this plane for any beginner (with a buddy to teach you).

Glad to hear that you love it, as I do!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:55 PM
Faster is Better
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
325 Posts
Quote:

... snip ...

My only concern with this is range. While I still get quite a good distance with this plane, I noticed that I was having delayed responses when I got really high up (I don't have a good enough eye to tell you what distance).

...snip...
Hey -- that sounds familiar. I own the smaller version of this plane, the ET 800, and had these exact same symptoms. After one flight where I lost control entirely (the plane automatically powered down and headed for ground) I decided to rearrange the receiver and antenna.

I embedded the antenna in a soda straw to keep it straight, and positioned the receiver and antenna pointing straight down toward the tail boom. Positioning it well clear of the servos, battery, etc... seemed to help it immensely. Never had a range problem again.
OldeMan is online now Find More Posts by OldeMan
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,511 Posts
I've not had any radio drop outs and I've tried hard to provoke them. Flown it as high and as far away as I possibly could. I did extend the Rx antenna straight back into the fuse and put a 90 degree bend in the last inch or so. This is generally what's recommended with 2.4g systems and it's worked fine for me (so far).

I just received the FMS 40" Cessna RTF package from BH yesterday. I'm in the process of assembling it now. It uses the same tx/rx as the ET1280 so we'll see soon how it performs.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
43 Posts
Well I got mine a few days ago and only took it out on one flight so far. I am a straight up rookie when it comes to flying. I've flown a few times before with moderate luck, and I am all right in the sim.

First impression. With the battery in the spot the instructions call for and the CG at 70 mm. I't nose dived 2 times on take off. So I put the battery between the servo's and while it still dives a bit I can get it off the ground. Next problem is the erratic behavoir of the flight controls. I was having problems with it not responding well to the controls. Like it would start to bank and I would give it full opposite ailerons and it wouldn't respond or very slowly. Or the next time it would be two twitchy.

I moved the linkages to max throw on the surface horns and it helped a bit but was still erratic.

Any tips on the CG or flight controls
smoedog is offline Find More Posts by smoedog
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:15 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoedog View Post
I was having problems with it not responding well to the controls. Like it would start to bank and I would give it full opposite ailerons and it wouldn't respond or very slowly. Or the next time it would be two twitchy.

I moved the linkages to max throw on the surface horns and it helped a bit but was still erratic.

Any tips on the CG or flight controls
I also had this problem, but my trainer told me that it was the wind. The way it was explained to me is that wind up high can be much different than wind on the ground (makes sense), and it is not uncommon for a gust to push a wing down and make it difficult to control. Try flying on a calm, windless day and see if the issue persists.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Jul 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
I also had this problem, but my trainer told me that it was the wind.
Wind? I really don't think so.

I am certainly new to this hobby, but I have already experienced the difference between the effects of strong winds-aloft and communication problems between TX and RX.

I had these same intermittent problems with my ET again today. Badly. Just as the poster describes ... "twitchy" responses... anxious time lags... etc. I thought I had already cured these symptoms by rearranging the RX and antenna. In fact, I had quite a few flights without any problems. But, today,they came back with a vengeance. No idea why. I tinkered with RX and antenna placement for a while. Swapped various batteries. No change. (Super humid today ... humidity? Near a firehouse with cell tower... interference? I dunno.)

I'm switching RX to a DSM2 compatible when it arrives on Monday. Hopefully that'll put an end to this.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
My first foamy ..... think the instruction manual sucks for the following reasons ........
!) does not indicate which wat the control horn goes ....figured it out by dry assembly
2) stab very loose and only by putting glue on the "push " side was I able to get it together without getting it every where ..I put a bead on the far side ....hope it's strong enough
3) all hinges are stiff ....thinking of cutting everything loose and making packing tape hinges
4) manuals ( many ) have confusing set up instructions for radio equipment especially the ESC which covers many ESC's ...worried about cooking everything
5) the receiver if that what it is , is the size of my fingernail ...has a 4" antenna ...is that long enough ? ....nothing is anchored in the cockpit and seems like it will flop around ...battery included ....big CG changes ?
I may be hyper critical and I'm an old tissue and stick guy so I know how to model but think they should address the assembly instructions lack of clarity
I would appreciate any one discussing my concerns and I plan to call Banana support Monday as they were very helpful with shipping to Mexico
gravy g is offline Find More Posts by gravy g
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:31 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy g View Post
My first foamy ..... think the instruction manual sucks for the following reasons ........
!) does not indicate which wat the control horn goes ....figured it out by dry assembly
2) stab very loose and only by putting glue on the "push " side was I able to get it together without getting it every where ..I put a bead on the far side ....hope it's strong enough
3) all hinges are stiff ....thinking of cutting everything loose and making packing tape hinges
4) manuals ( many ) have confusing set up instructions for radio equipment especially the ESC which covers many ESC's ...worried about cooking everything
5) the receiver if that what it is , is the size of my fingernail ...has a 4" antenna ...is that long enough ? ....nothing is anchored in the cockpit and seems like it will flop around ...battery included ....big CG changes ?
I may be hyper critical and I'm an old tissue and stick guy so I know how to model but think they should address the assembly instructions lack of clarity
I would appreciate any one discussing my concerns and I plan to call Banana support Monday as they were very helpful with shipping to Mexico
hinges to loosen em up disconnect pushrod from horns waggle the control surfaces up n down.
use stickyback velcro to secure battery and reciever in cockpit..
did they not include any velcro pads..
the antenna is fine its a 2.4ghz system..
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:53 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,511 Posts
Pretty much industry standard the way this model is supplied. Gravy's disappointment with it is understandable but most issues are easily correctable as dazz suggested.

These RTF's are anything but - and require some RC knowledge and modeling skills to get them set up for best performance. Spending a little time tweaking everything is part of the satisfaction, and you'll end up with a very nice plane that only cost 90 bux , including radio, battery and charger. After flying this a few times, you'll realize what a bargain you got!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,511 Posts
[QUOTE=OldeMan;22299769
I had these same intermittent problems with my ET again today. Badly. Just as the poster describes ... "twitchy" responses... anxious time lags... etc. I thought I had already cured these symptoms by rearranging the RX and antenna. In fact, I had quite a few flights without any problems. But, today,they came back with a vengeance. No idea why. I tinkered with RX and antenna placement for a while. Swapped various batteries. No change. (Super humid today ... humidity? Near a firehouse with cell tower... interference? I dunno.)
I'm switching RX to a DSM2 compatible when it arrives on Monday. Hopefully that'll put an end to this.[/QUOTE]

I've been following this issue closely as I'm using the supplied tx/rx for this plane and a second set of identical ones supplied with the FMS 40" Cessna 182.

I've flown both of the planes to the very limit of my visibility, both at high and low altitudes and had nary a glitch or dropout. Maybe I've just been lucky. I am in a rural setting, however with no nearby radio towers or other known interference.

I've got other, better quality radio components I could install but, so far, don't see the need to. The mini Tx feels odd at first but soon feels natural enough.
Last edited by dbc; Jul 30, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:04 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I've been following this issue closely as I'm using the supplied tx/rx for this plane and a second set of identical ones supplied with the FMS 40" Cessna 182.

I've flown both of the planes to the very limit of my visibility, both at high and low altitudes and had nary a glitch or dropout. Maybe I've just been lucky. I am in a rural setting, however with no nearby radio towers or other known interference.

I've got other, better quality radio components I could install but, so far, don't see the need to. The mini Tx feels odd at first but soon feels natural enough.
Keep in mind that one of 2.4 Ghz limitations is water/moisture absorbs the signal, it's possible that when you are pushing the limits of the reception envelope in extreme humidity or under rainy or foggy conditions, you could experience dropouts/reception loss.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:50 AM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,511 Posts
Well, I don't intend to continue to push the limits. But it does help instill confidence. And the FL humidity where I live is certainly extreme!

If I have any issues I'll install better equipment.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
Faster is Better
Joined Jul 2012
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Keep in mind that one of 2.4 Ghz limitations is water/moisture absorbs the signal, it's possible that when you are pushing the limits of the reception envelope in extreme humidity or under rainy or foggy conditions, you could experience dropouts/reception loss.
My experience with the stock Tx/Rx is best described as "mixed": My earliest flight days went fine, but a later day suddenly showed up serious Tx/Rx problems... bad lags and twitchy response at about 1/2 field. So that evening I rearranged the Rx/antenna... and was thrilled to find, on next outing (days later), that all issues were gone... and they were gone for a couple of weeks. This last weekend, however, all symptoms reappeared... with Rx and antenna in their new location. (These experiences are all on separate *days*... i.e. I haven't seen a change in this behavior "within a single outing".)

There is one possible common-thread in my experiences so far... and Doubletap strengthens my suspicion: This past weekend, my field was soaking wet (standing water in scattered pools after a lengthy rain) and the humidity was horrible... I felt drenched just standing there. I'm struggling to remember if my first couple of troubled-flights were similarly humid? I have been in that field before, with this plane, on similar post-rain/standing-water days... I just can't remember for certain if that coincided with my earlier Tx/Rx issues. Quite possible.

One possible counter-point, though: My son was out with me, on my earlier trouble-day... with his stock 2.4GHz gear for a Dynam Hawk Sky... and he had no bad symptoms at all. So the "humidity" suspicion can't be applied to all 2.4GHz gear.

So, the way I see it: Two tests are in order...

1) I haven't changed anything, in my setup, since my most recent "bad day". I'll head out when the park is dry and humidity is low to see if my Tx/Rx issues have magically cured themselves.

2) I've ordered DSM2 compatible Rx+satellite (expected arrival yesterday). On our next post-rain/humid day... I'll make a point of going out to test both systems.

My sacrifice for science -- fly more.