Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 03, 2007, 01:21 AM
Joined Dec 2006
605 Posts
Discussion
How to get the feathering shaft out ....

Im thinking 2 allen keys and unscrew?? How about if thats not happening?? Any ideas ??? Yes it is bent

Are the SS ones any better??
Cooker is offline Find More Posts by Cooker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2007, 01:29 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,421 Posts
Yes, two allen keys.
Often they are very tight.
I found that I had to get some good allen keys so they did not slip.
At first I modified a 1/16th inch one, to be a nice tight fit in those 1.5mm head bolts! (1/16th is a micron larger - err, 57 microns?)

Use two smooth faced 'tools' to hold and allow straightening of the shaft when it is out. I use two adjustable wrenches coming in head to head from each end of the shaft.

The crucial thing is to have a shaft that you can spin both ends in a thumb and forefinger each, and see it rotates true - even if along its length (at the bend point) it is a bit wonky.
eg what matters is the bolts section, and thus blade grips, will rotate in a true line.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2007, 01:43 AM
Team Mulikow
Manila, Philippines
Joined Oct 2006
9,564 Posts
If shaft is visibly bent while on the rotor head, you may have to remove one blade grip and straighten a bit with a wrench so that it can slip out the other end.
Gino CP is offline Find More Posts by Gino CP
Old Jan 03, 2007, 09:27 AM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
The crucial thing is to have a shaft that you can spin both ends in a thumb and forefinger each, and see it rotates true - even if along its length (at the bend point) it is a bit wonky.
eg what matters is the bolts section, and thus blade grips, will rotate in a true line.

It's alot better to replace the shaft with a new one. The trouble and time to swap out just isn't worth it. If the spindle shaft is bent even a little, you will have wierd control problems. I use the SS Spindles, but you CAN break them if you try! (I know),,,,,,
Vario3 is offline Find More Posts by Vario3