Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by papasmurf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:48 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Discussion
Got some photos of some projects I have recently finished...

assuming building an ARF for a few hours counts as a project. I do not do much building from kits so most of what I have will look familiar.

Planes in the photos are as follows:

--House of Balsa Pitts S2A (my baby)-hope to have it mostly finished by christmas. Has a power 32 up front,

--" " Pattern plane. Large and with very nice construction and flies pretty well on a power 15. Only have about 3 flights on it so far over six months time so I need to get to flying it or get rid of it.

--Brio 10 with a power 10. One of my favorites for sure. E-flite hit the nail on the head with dropping the CF gear for the aluminum.

--Riot 3D. Has a LS de novo on the front. Fun to fly and does the best high alpha maneuvers but that is offset by some pretty serious rudder coupling.

--Fliton Mini Extra 330 (I have a weakness for extra's and pitts and this is one of four I have had so far) Original gear wore out so I upgrade it with the CF gear from the mini katana. A20-20L up front

--Mini funtana...yes..I still fly mine and enjoy it quite a bit. It is quite 3D capable with a park 480 and 20C 1300's. Has upgrade aluminum gear from MS

--Hobbico Extra 300 ASAP...The one plane I always wanted as a kid. I remeber drooling over it during the early/mid 90's in the tower catalog. Has not flown yet, but has TP 3520-(6 turn I think)

--MUS...need I say more? Everyone should have one. Best windy day flier there is.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Last edited by papasmurf; Nov 16, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:17 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
continued...

a few more.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:41 AM
David
Monrovia, AL, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,253 Posts
You've got some of my favorites as well....

I'm curious. Out of these, which is your favorite all-round smooth (pattern) aerobatic as well as 3D aerobatic capable plane? Oh by the way "well built" has to be a criteria as well.

dleviner is offline Find More Posts by dleviner
Old Nov 20, 2006, 02:32 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I would probably have to go with the fliton mini extra. Harriers and elevators are really smooth. It hovers pretty well but also is very precise and pattern like at higher speeds. For pattern I would probably go with a larger motor though so you would not have to work it so hard.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 01:06 AM
Joined Jul 2004
608 Posts
Any Motor recomendations for the Fliton Mini Extra???

Thanks.
klong66 is offline Find More Posts by klong66
Old Nov 29, 2006, 08:32 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The A20-20L is what I have in mine. It has good power but I am sure there are those that would like a bit more. I would look at the himax 3510-1100 or the A30-28S hacker if you wanted more power.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2004
608 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

Weight chart for the 3 suggested motors:
himax 3510-1100 3.1 oz 89 g 220w 6-22 peak 30a
Hacker A20-20L 2 oz 57g 150w 6-15 Peak 19a
Hacker A30-28s 2.5 oz 260w 15- 25 peak a

Looks to me the Hacker A30 hits the sweet spot. Or the A20 for a more floating type of performance.
I did a lot of reading and am looking to get an extra or similar type plane. Looked at the Hyperion extra and the e-flight. But the fliton seems to be the best of the bunch from what others have said on here.
klong66 is offline Find More Posts by klong66
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:07 PM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Sep 2006
363 Posts
i love my fliton extra mini and am too a sucker for extras. i have the a20:20l in mine with the fliton 1500pack and it is a floater.
Fly2Low is offline Find More Posts by Fly2Low
Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:46 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
klong66...if you are looking for 3D...don't even consider the hyperion. It is a nice flying plane but has not 3D capability. The fliton was made to harrier and does that very well. It is also very precise and makes a pretty good multirole plane. Read the thread on it if you haven't already. The landing gear and landing gear block are very weak and need reiforcing from the get go. My gear eventually wore out (it is fiberglass) so I replaced it with some CF gear from a katana mini. If you can get the later generation CF replacement gear for the katana I would recommend it (atlantahobby may have it). It needs to be drilled for the landing gear plate but fits very well and gives just a bit more ground clearance while still looking pretty much stock. The brio gear is aluminum and heavier but may be a good choice as well.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 02:49 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
"Trying to get rid of a few of them at the moment as there simply is not enough room for them without taking some apart or stacking them on top of one another."

Here's your solution. I have twice as many planes hanging in this 12'x12' room now.

Attach pics panoramically, to view the entire room.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash