Old Jan 14, 2006, 12:52 AM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Discussion
Bomar Explorer

Group,

Took a photo of the new AP plane so that I could do some graphics work on it. Wanted to make a view that could be used on some flyers, ads, etc. in the future. Also, did not want all the details to show on the aircraft as it was not needed for these purposes. Here is what I came up with................

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2006, 01:15 AM
Its true... A MAN CAN FLY
Townsville, Australia
Joined Nov 2005
151 Posts
Interesting ship Overlord. Haven't seen one down here. Has it been used for AP by others in the past? Like the pusher idea
2lakea is offline Find More Posts by 2lakea
Old Jan 14, 2006, 07:41 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lakea
Interesting ship Overlord. Haven't seen one down here. Has it been used for AP by others in the past? Like the pusher idea
Elements similar to it have been used many times, but this is an original design for the most part. I will use a bullet camera in the nose for video, and an Optio S6 looking out the side for still/video too. The pusher aspect is one that I have wanted to investigate for awhile. The tricycle landing gear with steerable nosewheel should keep all nicely up and off the ground. It appears quite stable as far as weight distribution over the gear, but will have to wait for near completion to do final CG balance. I am hoping that with the installation of the remaining equipment and batteries, it will not require any added weight to balance. Target AUW is ~60 ounces which will with the wing size give me about 13 ounces per square foot wing loading. Thanks for the comments................Later...............

Joe
Old Jan 14, 2006, 01:27 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,143 Posts
That looks like it will be a really great AP plane. The long tail will make it stable and glider wing will give it a good speed range. Im looking foward to seeing the flight report.
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2006, 07:10 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Group,

I decided that I would redo the tailboom a bit to make it more resistant to torsional twisting. What I did was to cut it about 8.5" forward of the tailfeathers. Then I installed a hardwood dowel into the inside of the CF tube that was long enough to reach the forward end of the tube, and extend aft long enough to stick out of the remaining tube on the tail end. I glued this dowel inside the CF with Gorilla Glue, wiping the aft end dry so the other part would slide fully flush with the forward part. Then, I cut a piece of SS fuselage tubing 15 3/8" long, which allowed me to "bell" the forward end to fit the rear of the pod nicely. I was also able to cut a notch into the aft end to allow for the vertical stab to slide into it for later glueing too. I have included a few photos showing what it looked like as I fit things. I have not glued it up fully yet, but it looks like it will stiffen the tail nicely. I also now plan on bringing the control tubes out of the rear pod, affixing them to the supports on the fuselage tube, then going directly to the horns for the rudder and elevator. Will provide a very solid control for those surfaces. Looks real good so far, and should have this part done in next day or so as time permits. Here are the photos. Later.....

Joe
Old Jan 21, 2006, 02:06 AM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
You'll like that switch setup from nose view to side view. I didn't like the video quality of the $12 bullet cam I was using - but you can always upgrade it later to a good panasonic board cam from bwav.

What's your power system?

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Jan 21, 2006, 09:56 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Actually I am using a pretty good quality color camera (see photo below). it is a Sharp Corp. HRC420 (420 horz. lines @ 1.0 lux, and 12vdc source). From my ground testing, it looks extremely good on screen. The motor I am using is a Himax HC2816-0890. It will be powered through a CC Phoenix 35 ESC by two 3s1p 2100mah LiPo packs in parallel for endurance. My static testing on my Whattmeter has shown a current draw at WOT of ~9.7a while using an APC E 10X4.7 prop. Why am I using a 35 amp ESC on it then? I like the CC ESCs, I have been using a 35 on my SSV2 for a long time now with very good results, they program great on the computer, and in most things related to expensive airplanes and equipment I am a firm believer in "overkill is a good thing". From day one with my original Slow Stick, I have never been overly concerned with trying to keep the weight down. I originally flew with full size servos, and got great performance from the plane. I swapped from the stock recommeneded battery pack to a more robust pack and boosted performance again. Went brushless, and never looked back. My current aircraft, the SSV2 has been flying now for quite some time, at over 40 oz. too, and has performed admirably. I can typically takeoff in 3' if needed, and climb out almost vertical (at the cost of lessening the flight time). I have actually launched it from my hand vertically to try that option out, and it went up without problem. While I do not anticipate that the BE will be able to do that, I do think that as planned it will give relatively short takeoff rolls, and with use of the flaps, a pretty nice landing profile too. Of course, that will all remain to be seen once it its done and has maidened. This v1 version is going to be a bit heavier than the v2 and beyond as it is built from currently available materials, ie. aircraft liteply, block balsa, etc. I plan on building the next version using CF sheet and vacuum formed fuselage parts which will lighten it up considerably. I should be able to cut weight by at least 25% which will boost performance and yield a stronger aircraft too. Thanks for asking about it too..............Later..................

Joe
Old Jan 21, 2006, 10:11 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Overlord
Actually I am using a pretty good quality color camera (see photo below). it is a Sharp Corp. HRC420 (420 horz. lines @ 1.0 lux, and 12vdc source). From my ground testing, it looks extremely good on screen.
I have one of those cameras I also have the Sony KPC-650. I liked the sharp until I hooked it to my HDTV, and then hooked my Sony KPC-650 to the same TV, WHAT A DIFFERENCE. They colors and contrast on the sony were so much more lifelike, I never realized the sharp's picture was margional until I saw the Sony hooked up I learned there is a lot more to a cameras specs than Lines of resolution. Of course, the Sharp is smaller, and the Sony costs 3 times as much. But I will sell the sharp if anyone wants it
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 21, 2006, 11:29 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Short clip of SSV2 going verticle

Group,

Here is a short clip of the SSV2 going verticle during early testing. This is the complete flight, lasting just long enough to go up about 75 feet or so, and come around for a landing. Motor used is still the Typhoon 15 with a 3s1p Lipo Pack through a CC Phoenix 35 ESC. Later...

Joe

SSV2 going verticle video
Old Jan 21, 2006, 12:09 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Overlord
My static testing on my Whattmeter has shown a current draw at WOT of ~9.7a while using an APC E 10X4.7 prop.
Joe
Isn't that 106 watts and 28 watts/lb at 60oz? My 50wt/lb ships climb at 750ft/min, just barely acceptable for me.

Good call on the camera.... your project makes me want to get my bullet cam out and put it on switch. Tho I've really drawn the "no more junk" line on my current AP bird.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Jan 23, 2006, 02:33 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Group,

Today, have been working on the remaining equipment that needs to be mounted into the backbone fuselage. Got the still camera and tilt mount done. I do need to add doublers to the backbone to keep it together under flight stresses, but not too worried about that yet. I need to mount the flap servo and then I can do the rest of the mounting of the two receivers, ESC, Zlog, downlink transmitter, and battery locations. But, it is getting there now, and the light is becoming visible at the end of the tunnel. Soon will begin "fleshing" out the fuselage with streamlining and access covers. Also will be cutting cooling vents into the nosecone and tailcone areas to keep it all within temp tolerances. Here are a couple of photos from today showing progress to date. Later........

Joe
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:42 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Project put on hold after determining that a foward facing camera orientation was of more benefit for fixed wing operations....

Joe
Closed Thread